Favorite Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
What's the best concert you have ever attended (or listened to a recording of) whether religious, classical, rock'n'roll or otherwise?

Steven Curtis Chapman. It was a small venue, he interacted with the audience (even came down into the crowd) and my wife and I sat in the front row unknowingly (until he introduced them) beside his wife and children.

Metallica
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
P.O.D / Lincoln Park
Stone Temple Pilots
Creed
Van Halen
Bush
Offspring

Collective Soul
Bleach
Delerious?
Third Day

And.......Stomp (is Stomp a "œconcert"?)

I would really like to attend more classical concerts and even some operas. :sing:

I got free tickets one time from a music professor to go to Alice Tully Hall in NYC, where I was privileged to hear Sain Saens Cello Concerto and Beethoven's 3rd "Eroica" Symphony live. Man dat was mind blowing.

Many Pearl Jam ones
Ben Harper (held at the Ryman Audiotorium in Nashville - small venue with great acoustics - used to be a church)
Queensryche - first concert - it was phenonomenal
Phish - ok...I wasn't stoned so I probably missed some of the thrill
Natalie Merchant - couple tours - she can sing!
Few symphonies and ballets - love the arts.

I'm just going to list all of the concerts I've been to...because I wasn't allowed to attend "real concerts" growing up.

Tops in Blue (hey, I was a military brat, it was a command performance!)
Peter and the Wolf at the St Louis Symphony (child)
Petra at Six Flags (teen, only because we were already there and I had my boyfriend/hubby there with us...my parents walked out of it)
Ray Boltz at the community center in the next town (also a teen with hubby)
Beethoven's 9th Symphony at the St Louis Symphony (this was one that hubby surprised me with. I had was 6mos pregnant, it was for Valentines, and I borrowed a size 8 blue velour evening dress from a friend's daughter...couldn't believe it fit!)

I can also saw that I "heard" Christine Brewster as a young teen. I lived near McKendree College and my neighbor knew she was singing up at the chapel there (CB had gone to school there at one time). A beautiful spring day. We walked up there and sat on a stone bench right outside the chapel (no money or reservations). They had the chapel windows open and we could hear perfectly. BTW, she was also the lead solo soprano when hubby took me to Beethoven's 9th a few years ago. I was thrilled! (I used to be soprano one and was supposed to have lessons as designated by the local music teacher, but my parents wanted me to have a "real job").

U2 "Live at Red Rocks" had to be one of the greatest rock concerts in all of human history! (I've only seen it on video, but I could tell!)

1.)Bruce Cockburn- solo, acoustic at the Urban Arts Institute in Chattanooga, Tn
2.)King Crimson- Club 328 Nashville
3.)Paul Mc Cartney- Liberty Bowl Memphis
4.)Nick Lowe- Original Opry House Nashville
5.)Handel's Messiah-IPC Memphis:sing::sing:

An Handel's Messiah Concert\Sing Along.

We brought our scores or borrowed them from the church.
An orchestra with a harpsichord with a chior was present.
And the audience seated in their proper sections sang or just listened.

It was great.

I don't really get excited about concerts. I have been to quite a few. The one I was edified the most by was the Cathedrals. I would rather spend the money on the disc\album so that I could listen to it over and over again.

[Edited on 10-21-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Ummmmm.....tough call.

I'll separate the classical stuff from the rock stuff.

Probably one of the best rock shows I ever saw was Genesis at the Carrier Dome (1983 ??? I think?)...and I was a metal-head btw. Lot's more energy than I expected and they still played a bit of their older less poppy material.

Knowing how fiendishly difficult that classical guitar is, seeing Antigoni Goni's solo performance at SUNY Potsdam's Crane Auditorium in 1996 (after she won the GFA competition that year) was really special -she's amazing.

I was fortunate to catch Phil Keaggy at Hillcrest Church (2001?) -he's an amazing guitarist and doesn't take himself too seriously -a good showman.

Billy Joel... about 20 years ago. Hands down...

"Religious" =Carmen about 20+ years ago. First time I ever personally saw masses come to Christ.

Christopher,

I completely agree about Antigoni Goni. I saw her in concert at the Portland Guitar Festival (I believe it was in '97), and was completely blown away. But, blown away is too crude a term to use for her playing, completely entranced is more accurate. I had just begun my performance degree in classical guitar, and while I had seen some outstanding guitarists, she was in a different league. Very powerful and agile, yet with a strong musical prescence, much like Julian Bream's better days. I've been out of the loop for some time now, as regards the guitar/lute scene, but I'd say that she would still be a must see on anyone's list.

Best shows I've seen -

Dead Can Dance
Delerium
Iron Maiden
Scaterd Few
Saviour Machine
King Diamond (not advocating his worldview, but a very good performer)
Opeth

Boston -- one of my favorite all-time rock bands
James Taylor -- nothing like hearing him sing "Carolina in my Mind" in Chapel Hill
Heart -- they went "crazy on" us
Fleetwood Mac -- awesome
Pink Floyd -- I remember a flying pig...I was a bit comfortably numb
John Lee Hooker -- so cool :cool:
Bull Durham Blues Festival -- lots of soul
Eric Clapton w/my wife -- wonderful tonight

recording: Bernstein's Ode to Freedom Concert, December 1989 -- exquisite

Adam,

Yeah she's really MUSICAL -the instrument definitely doesn't get in the way of her music (which is easy to do in lesser hands)...and it doesn't hurt that she's beautiful too!

I actually played in a master class for her and she had all of these great insights to the Villa-Lobos piece I played. I felt like a know nothing.
I saw her again a couple of years ago down here in Dallas -she seemed upset about something and seemed to play angry to me.

I used to live in Escondido on Broadway!

1975 Kool & The gang; Light of World Tour
1976 Eagles; Hotel California Tour
1978 Foreigner & The Cars
1979 Blondie
Ramones & U2 in a small club in San Antonio
Iggy Pop
Romantics
1984 REM
Psychedelic Furs
1992Depeche Mode
Nine Inch Nails
LolaPalooza Tour
1993 Red Hot Chili peppers (Almost died in the pit)

Saved soon after...........

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
What's the best concert you have ever attended (or listened to a recording of) whether religious, classical, rock'n'roll or otherwise?

Flatt & Scruggs at Carnegie Hall (listened to recording):D

The best one for me would have to be the dual concert in Elgin, Illinois this past spring when Steven Delopoulos and Derek Webb were on-tour together. (Sandra McCracken was there as well.)

[video=youtube;imv2M64t_og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imv2M64t_og[/video]

[video=youtube;6K4635W4roY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4635W4roY[/video]

[video=youtube;_-GbesR5AEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GbesR5AEM[/video]

[video=youtube;tIsXmOHo7EA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIsXmOHo7EA[/video]

Brahms "A German Requiem", performed by the Northwest Chorale a few years ago, directed by Lynn Hall.

I had goosebumps through at least half of it. I should acknowledge that my wife and I were singing in it (we were what she calls part of the "fill dirt").

Nevertheless, I was amazed at how well Mr. Hall got a bunch of us amateurs to sound. The audience agreed. And the piece is tremendous.

The 6 Brandenburg Concertos (J.S. Bach) - Britt Music Festival (Jacksonville, OR),
performed at The Old Church, Portland OR, June 1994

I've had some very unenjoyable experiences with rock concerts, so I don't go to them anymore.

However, the best concert I've been to is without a doubt Alison Krauss and Union Station. Girl can sing. Jerry Douglas can play that dobro. Excellent sound and Thalia Mara Hall in Jackson was a great place to take it all in.

- Strife
- Shelter
- Earth Crisis
- Undertow
- and some many other XXX hardcore straight edge XXX bands from the U.S which came to the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

The Who- They performed Quadrophenia at the VA Beach Ampitheatre back in 1997.

Rush- The Moving Pictures Tour 1981-82.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back