Favorite Dr. Lloyd-Jones book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passingpilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi everyone,

looking for a good book to start out with regarding Martin Lloyd-Jones. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Tolle Lege :)

I spent the whole summer reading Iain Murray's bio of him, the Fight of Faith, (two volumes). It was so fabulous. Full of quotes.

I bought his book called Revival, and Preachers and Preaching for my hub but haven't read either. They came highly recommended. Someday (heaven at this rate) I want to read his first commentary on Romans which people said was tremendously helpful. ( not first in text order, but the first one he wrote).

Maybe the place to start is Evangelicalism Divided, which is mostly the M L-J stand against the ecumenical movement when Evangelicals started to shack up with liberals who denied the atonement, resurrection, inerrancy, etc. It is one of the best books I ever read and the chapters about where we keep unity and where we must divide are great.

If you have not yet read the two volume biography written by Iain Murray, that is a must read.

The little booklet What is an Evangelical? sets forth some timeless benchmarks by which an evangelical minister can gauge his ministry, and that of those around him.

Preaching and Preachers should help you in defining the role of a preacher, and the importance of his work. The opening chapters are outstanding.

As far as his sermons go, you will receive many recommendations, assuredly someone will bring up his many volumes on the Epistle to the Romans, but as far as a single volume goes, I find his Studies in the Sermon on the Mount to be one of my favorites.

I spent the whole summer reading Iain Murray's bio of him, the Fight of Faith, (two volumes). It was so fabulous. Full of quotes.

I bought his book called Revival, and Preachers and Preaching for my hub but haven't read either. They came highly recommended. Someday (heaven at this rate) I want to read his first commentary on Romans which people said was tremendously helpful. ( not first in text order, but the first one he wrote).

If you are going to read his Romans commentaries in published order, the first volume starts around Rom 3:21 then read the volumes in sequence to the end of chapter 8, then chapters 1 then 2-3:20 then 9-13.

The first book I read by him was Studies in the Sermon on the Mount. Also enjoyed:

The Cross God's Way of Salvation.

Spiritual Depression: It's Causes and Cure.

I love any thing by him but have not purchased anything lately. I think I have more of his book's than any other person. Will need to look into reading his bio Fight of Faith.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones who was Welsh, I believed died on Saint David's Day patron Saint of Wales. For the Shakespeare fans of Henry the Fifth Act Fourth, Scene Seventh, Line 91-100.

I like everything written by Lloyd-Jones, but I'd have to say that Spiritual Depression: It's Causes and Cure is my favorite.

The 2 volume biography by Iain Murray is excellent. I also loved his books on Revival, Enjoying God's Presence (Psalms) and also his 4 volume set on John 17. Preaching and Preachers is also highly recommended. I am halfway through his first volume on Acts which is also a very good work.

One further book is Knowing the Times which is a collection of his various addreses at different conferences.

In fact having written all this, if anything says Martin Lloyd-Jones then just read it!

Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (1959-1960), no question. This book is his masterpiece.

My wife just finished reading Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure (1965) and thinks very highly of it. If you can get the CDs of his sermons on spiritual depression, do so. There are many more sermons from that series he preached in the early 1950s than he included in his book. The book contains just a selection from the entire series he preached.

If you can get the CDs of his sermons on spiritual depression, do so. There are many more sermons from that series he preached in the early 1950s than he included in his book. The book contains just a selection from the entire series he preached.

I did not know that! Thanks!

-----Added 10/31/2009 at 05:41:56 EST-----

jambo;709462...if anything says Martin Lloyd-Jones then just read it![/QUOTE said:

MLJ's Romans writings and Sermon on the Mount are great. A nice sample of his writings can be found in his "Evangelical Sermons".

As a huge MLJ fan, I can echo everything above. I still say start with the Murray biography. It kept my cheese from sliding off my cracker when I was being booted from the PCUSA. Evangelicalism Divided was also very pivotal in forming my own views on many things. My favorite quote from E.D.: "We are not interested in numbers. We are interested in truth and the Living God."

On the Romans commentary, one word of warning. In his discussion of Rom 6, Lloyd Jones departs from the Reformed tradition and takes an eradicationist position concerning the "old man." He doesn't seem to realize that he took a Wesleyan position on that issue. Others have picked up his particular theology out of his Romans commentary and run with it in directions I'm convinced he never would have dreamed of.

It's cause PLENTY of trouble in my congregation. It was processed by a Christian counseling movement called "exchanged life theology" that is riddled with very serious errors, including a fundamental denial of "positional truth" (such as the imputation of Christ's righteousness at Justification.)

Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (1959-1960), no question. This book is his masterpiece.

My wife just finished reading Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure (1965) and thinks very highly of it. If you can get the CDs of his sermons on spiritual depression, do so. There are many more sermons from that series he preached in the early 1950s than he included in his book. The book contains just a selection from the entire series he preached.

:ditto:

Preaching and Preachers along with God the Father, God the Son and Healing, Medicine and the Supernatural are my favorites for reasons of personal history. But I think some of his sermons from the volumes on Ephesians might be better in themselves. If you are looking to get into him, though, I might recommend starting with the book, Old Testament Evangelistic Sermons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back