Favorite (Preferably Nerdy!) Board Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridge/Euchre/Pinochle
Chess
Set
Scrabble
Killer Bunnies

Ok - so I'm a bit old fashioned (though the last one definitely is not that)

What I like about games like the Dominion expansions, Ticket To Ride, Agricola, 7 Wonders, and Stone Age is that it is not necessarily obvious who is in the lead. Unlike many games, the suspense continues until all victory points are added up.

Neither of these are board games, but I love playing bananagrams because I am such a word nerd, and Palace-which is a card game and I have heard other names for it too.

Bananagrams is another game that we always play at ACF game nights. Such a fun game!

What I like about games like the Dominion expansions, Ticket To Ride, Agricola, 7 Wonders, and Stone Age is that it is not necessarily obvious who is in the lead. Unlike many games, the suspense continues until all victory points are added up.

That's my favorite part of the games, especially Stone Age. Stone Age is such an awesome game.

We need to have a Puritanboard game night sometime!

My favorite games are:

Twilight Struggle, a 3-4 hour 2 player game that I am 1-21 in playing, and that I love playing more every time I get the chance. This game's about the global Cold War struggle and the game is loaded with theme and nuance after nuance of strategy.

1960: The Making of The President, a 2-3 hour 2 player game about the 1960 Presidential election that's based on Twilight Struggle and is itself an enjoyable game.

Hannibal: Rome v. Carthage - Yes, as the name suggests, its about the Second Punic war, and is driven by the events and asymmetrical forces of Rome and Carthage. 2 players 3-4 hours

War of the Ring -- Soon to be back in print by the end of the year, this 2-4 player 3-4 hour game is an epic game about the Lord of the Rings (books not movies) that is enjoyable for the asymmetry of the free peoples and Sauron/Sarumun forces.

Imperial (World War I from the cynical perspective of the Swiss Bankers - economic game - wonderful for 4-5, 3 hours)

Memoir '44 - (WWII tactical wargame - light and fun - 30 minutes to an hour depending on the scenario, 2 player but can be expanded to play 6-8 with the Overlord set)

Modern Art - Auction and buy terrible art to make the most money - best with 4-5 and 45-60 minutes

Citadels - 2-7 player city-building card game that everyone seems to like and that only takes 30-45 minutes.

Last edited:
I have never played anything that beats Chess :D
Got to be my favourite, not that Im that good at it though, its just a great game

I was wondering if someone else would put that one in. I learned it from my very German wife and her family. It pretty much consumes every family gathering. We have now introduced it to our congregation.

I like games. Here are some of my other favourites:
Cards:
Whist, Bezique, Hand and Foot, Canasta, Pinochle, Gin, Shanghai, Poker, but not Texas Hold 'Em (I don't play for money, btw.), and a whole bunch more. The only cards we played growing up were Rook. I started playing poker on the sly in high school. I would have been skinned had anyone in my family or church found out. All those other card games have become favourites since marriage. Did I mention that Molly's family loves cards?

'Board Games':
Chess, Scrabble, UpWords, Axis and Allies, Tactics II (also made by Avalon Hill), Draughts (You can call it checkers), and a few more.

Has anyone played Farkle?
Yep. We play it.

Has no one else here every played Hnefatafl? The first time it was introduced into our house, my husband and his friend sat down on the floor to give a try and played for three hours! (They could hardly get up off the floor because their legs were so stiff from sitting.)

Anyone play the card game 500 Bid? I married into a family that plays that and I love it. It's similar to Spades, which I also love.

Carcassone, Forbidden Island (good game for 2-4 players and you play as a team), Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, Chess and a variety of card games.

I haven't heard of most of these games, but I enjoy Risk and love Chess and Bananagrams (and I can't believe someone else said it too! Leah!!!). Quelf is...interesting... and other than these my preferred nerdish games are on a computer or console. "BOOM! HEADSHOT!"

Has no one else here every played Hnefatafl?

I googled it and found that I had, sort of. It is very much like and related to Ard-Ri, a Scottish game.

I discovered it when I was trying to find something "Norwegian" to give to a family member. It actually predates chess and the "men" move the same as rooks. There are numerous versions of the game and lots of options for rules.

"The pens in my pocket I must protect 'em; my ergonomic keyboard never leaves me bored..."

"I'm nerdy in the extreme and whiter than sour cream, I was in AV club and Glee club and even the chess team . . ." Aaaa, you made me watch that video again. It makes me laugh every time.

Diplomacy
Axis and Allies
NATO: the next war in Europe (makes Axis and Allies look like Risk)
Killer Bunnies (a card game with at least 8 expansion packs)
Speed Scrabble (places all the pieces on the table then players pick seven upside-down. Then try to arrange their own "board" with connecting words at the same time as everyone else)

We have had Carcassone forever but have never played it, just made up stupid pronunciations for it and let it languish on the shelf. This thread makes me want to break it out finally.

Flash Duel is our favorite "nerdy" go-to game, though. Pretty quick and easy to learn, especially if you first play a couple rounds without having to think about the characters/abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by toddpedlar View Post
Euchre
I was wondering if someone else would put that one in. I learned it from my very German wife and her family. It pretty much consumes every family gathering. We have now introduced it to our congregation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Has anyone played Farkle?
Yep. We play it.

Played Euchre in the dorm in law school. Never played it again after returning south. I've played Farkle - I think in college, but perhaps earlier or later. I have no recollection of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back