Favorite quotes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenMartyr

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but it seemed the closest.

Favorite quotes you like, something you just recently read and want to share!

Here's one I recently read from a friend who posted it somewhere else:

From John MacArthur:

“Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭1:1-2‬ ‭

“And, you see, the marvelous senses of man, as marvelous as they are, are incapable of reaching beyond the natural world. And if we’re ever going to know anything about God, God must speak. Look at it verse 1. “God,” the middle of the verse, “spoke.” Right there. We would never know God if He didn’t speak. Now, I’ve always illustrated it very simply. You can’t crawl out of your natural box and discover God. You can’t do it. You and I live in a natural box. Just imagine a little box. And you and I run around in this little natural box and it’s all time-space existence.

And outside of our natural box is the supernatural, and somewhere down inside of us, we know it’s out there, but we really don’t know anything about it, you see. So people come along and say, “We must discover the supernatural. Let’s start a religion.” And so they all run over to the edge of the box and get their chisels and start poking a hole in the edge of the box, figuring they can poke a hole, crawl out, and find God. He’ll be sitting on a cloud with a sign “Hi, I’m God, where have you been?” And that’s what happens.

The Buddhists say you go over here and you do whatever you do and you give Buddha the porridge and you do the thing and you go through all of the things or whatever Buddhism is involved in, you think yourself into nirvana and all of sudden you’ve popped out of the box and discovered God. You’ve transcended from the natural to the supernatural. And Muhammad doesn’t say this, and all the other religions, Zoroastrianism says this, and whether it’s in Japan, Soka Gakkai, or whether it’s this or whatever it is, it’s all the same attempt to escape the natural into the supernatural.

And whether it’s a cult or whatever it is, get out of the box, but the problem is you can’t get out. By the very definition of terms, the natural man cannot escape into the supernatural. It can’t happen. I always say you can’t go into a phone booth and take off your clothes – well, you can do that – but you can’t come out Superman, that’s the point. You cannot transcend your natural existence. So, then, if you are to know anything about God, you will not know it because you escape to God, you will only know it because God speaks to you. Do you get that?

You cannot discover God any more than I expect the bug that I hold in my hand to understand me. He does not understand me. Bugs don’t understand anybody. And bugs probably have terrific philosophies about what we’re like. And they may even worship some of us, but they don’t know. And the problem is we can’t even condescend to their level, but God could. And so God literally became a man and burst into the box to tell us about Himself, and that’s what revelation is all about, isn’t it?

And don’t you see that every religion in the world is a backward situation because every religion in the world is man’s attempt to jump out of the box? There’s only one religion in the world that’s the opposite, and that’s Christianity, which says for the Son of man has come to seek and to save. And when God burst into the box, He did it in a human form, and the name of that human form was Jesus Christ. And that’s the difference between Christianity and every other religion in the world.

That’s why people say, “Well, you can believe anything you want, any religion you want.” No, you can’t. Every religion is man’s attempt to discover God. Christianity is God bursting into man’s world and telling him what He was like. And so man is sensorially incapable of comprehending, identifying, or understanding God at all. God must invade his world, and so God spoke. And God first spoke through the words of the Old Testament. Now, you know that men didn’t write it. They were used as instruments, but God was behind it, the energizing author.”

"It is grace at the beginning, and grace at the end. So that when you and I come to lie upon our death beds, the one thing that should comfort and help and strengthen us there is the thing that helped us in the beginning. Not what we have been, not what we have done, but the Grace of God in Jesus Christ our Lord. The Christian life starts with grace, it must continue with grace, it ends with grace. Grace wondrous grace. By the grace of God I am what I am. Yet not I, but the Grace of God which was with me."

Martyn Lloyd-Jones

"When we have borrowed metaphors from every creature that hath any excellency or lovely property in it, till we have stript the whole creation bare of all its ornaments, and clothed Christ with all that glory; when we have even worn out our tongues, in ascribing praises to him, alas! we have done nothing, when all is done." - John Flavel

Here's a quote I recently read I appreciated, from Calvin's commentary on Genesis (1):

"Moses wrote in a popular style things which without
instruction, all ordinary persons, endued with common sense, are able to
understand; but astronomers investigate with great labour whatever the
sagacity of the human mind can comprehend. Nevertheless, this study is
not to be reprobated, nor this science to be condemned, because some
frantic persons are wont boldly to reject whatever is unknown to them.
For astronomy is not only pleasant, but also very useful to be known: it
cannot be denied that this art unfolds the admirable wisdom of God.
Wherefore, as ingenious men are to be honoured who have expended useful
labour on this subject, so they who have leisure and capacity ought not
to neglect this kind of exercise. Nor did Moses truly wish to withdraw us
from this pursuit in omitting such things as are peculiar to the art; but
because he was ordained a teacher as well of the unlearned and rude as of
the learned, he could not otherwise fulfill his office than by descending
to this grosser method of instruction. Had he spoken of things generally
unknown, the uneducated might have pleaded in excuse that such subjects
were beyond their capacity."

Sometimes good advice comes from Godless men:

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every time I read a Puritan, I have a new favorite quote. Gurnall is a goldmine of quotes.

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" - Eph 6:17 (The Holy Bible: King James Version)

"The saint is often compared to Christ’s garden. There would not long hang any of their sweet fruit upon their souls were not Satan kept off with the point of this sword. O, this word of God is a terror to him; he cannot for his life overcome the dread of it. Let Christ say but, ‘It is written,’ and the foul fiend runs away with more confusion and terror, than Caligula at a crack of thunder. - William - The Christian in Complete Armour (p. 559)"

My favorite today:

"Jesus wants the rose!" - Matt Chandler

Quote below, but watch the video first.

Taken from The Gospel Coalition article of same name 4/4/2009, Trevin Wax quoting Chandler:

"During my freshman year of college, I sat next to a 26-year-old single mother trying to get her degree. We began a dialogue about the grace and mercy of Christ in the cross. Some other guys and I would go over and babysit her child and try to talk with her. A friend of mine was in a band playing in the area and we invited her to hear him. She agreed. She thought it would be a concert. I knew better. It was shady and she agreed to come.

The minister got up and said, “Today I want to talk to you about sex.” And I immediately thought, Uh oh. He took a red rose, smelled it, showed how pretty it was. Then, threw it out in the crowd and told them to smell the rose. “I want you to smell it and touch it and feel the texture in it.” (There were about 1000 people there.) He then began one of the worst, most horrific handlings of what sex is and isn’t that I ever sat through. It was fear-mongering at its best.

I’m thinking, with Kim beside me, What are you doing? As he wrapped up, he asked, “Where’s my rose?”

Some kid brought the rose back and it was broken. The petals were broken. And he lifts it up. And his big crescendo is to lift up that broken rose and say, “Now who would want this?”

Anger welled up within me and I wanted to say, “Jesus WANTS THE ROSE! That’s the point of the gospel! That Jesus wants the rose. That he made him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

My favorite today:

"Jesus wants the rose!" - Matt Chandler

Quote below, but watch the video first.

Taken from The Gospel Coalition article of same name 4/4/2009, Trevin Wax quoting Chandler:

"During my freshman year of college, I sat next to a 26-year-old single mother trying to get her degree. We began a dialogue about the grace and mercy of Christ in the cross. Some other guys and I would go over and babysit her child and try to talk with her. A friend of mine was in a band playing in the area and we invited her to hear him. She agreed. She thought it would be a concert. I knew better. It was shady and she agreed to come.

The minister got up and said, “Today I want to talk to you about sex.” And I immediately thought, Uh oh. He took a red rose, smelled it, showed how pretty it was. Then, threw it out in the crowd and told them to smell the rose. “I want you to smell it and touch it and feel the texture in it.” (There were about 1000 people there.) He then began one of the worst, most horrific handlings of what sex is and isn’t that I ever sat through. It was fear-mongering at its best.

I’m thinking, with Kim beside me, What are you doing? As he wrapped up, he asked, “Where’s my rose?”

Some kid brought the rose back and it was broken. The petals were broken. And he lifts it up. And his big crescendo is to lift up that broken rose and say, “Now who would want this?”

Anger welled up within me and I wanted to say, “Jesus WANTS THE ROSE! That’s the point of the gospel! That Jesus wants the rose. That he made him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God. While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Obviously Jesus came to save sinners, and we’re all sinners, but does that mean we ought to fornicate that he might have more to redeem? The rose demonstration might have been silly, but I fail to see why Chandler got so worked up over it. Personally, I rarely find him helpful.

"This Idol (free will) was seen as the stump of Dagon, who could neither know nor do that which is good in any kind." - John Owen

Obviously Jesus came to save sinners, and we’re all sinners, but does that mean we ought to fornicate that he might have more to redeem? The rose demonstration might have been silly, but I fail to see why Chandler got so worked up over it. Personally, I rarely find him helpful.

I didn't think that's what Chandler was advocating, that we sin so grace may abound. Personally the video brought tears for me.

Chandler's point isn't that the rose demonstration was silly, but it was conducted in a condescending and self-righteous way, and climaxed in that fashion. The pastor illustrates that by the time a woman has given herself to immorality so many times, she becomes an untouchable. "Who wants such a rose!", the implication being that nobody would want that rose, and she would be rightly ostracized, or "How are you going to get a man now?" This was the pastor's point. He got the woman to moral leper status, but no better. Yet such as woman is who Christ pursues in John 4, a tremendously guilty woman who had committed adultery in marrying four other times and was sinning with a man who was not her husband. Christ came to Samaria for the reason that Chandler indicated in the video: Jesus wanted her.

It rings with me, because Sinclair Ferguson on another occasion relates a disappointing occasion in his ministry, when they accepted a member into their church with a checkered past. One of the current members actually said that day, "What business do they have being here?" Such self-righteousness does occur, and it's important to remember Christ didn't come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back