Favorite Sam Rutherford Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Goodwin

Puritan Board Freshman
  • There is no sweeter fellowship with Christ than to bring our wounds and our sores to Him.
  • He delighteth to take up fallen bairns (children) and to mend broken brows: binding up of wounds is His office.
  • Wants are my best riches, for I have these supplied by Christ.
  • There are infinite plies (layers) in His love that the saints will never win to unfold.
  • Blessed were we if we could make ourselves masters of that invaluable treasure, the love of Christ; or rather suffer ourselves to be mastered and subdued to Christ’s love, so as Christ were our all things, and all others things our nothings, and the refuse of our delights. O, let us be ready for shipping today against the time our Lord’s wind and tide call for us.
  • Nevertheless, I think it the Lord’s wise love that feeds us with hunger, and makes us fat with wants and desertion.
  • O, that Christ should be so large in sweetness and worth, and we so narrow, pinched, so ebb,8 and so void of all happiness, and yet men will not take Him! they lose their love miserably, who will not bestow it upon this lovely One.
  • O, that we could put our treasure in Christ’s hand, and give Him our gold to keep, and our crown.
  • Lay all your loads and your weights by faith upon Christ. Ease yourself, and let Him bear all. He can, He does, He will bear you.
  • I think I see more of Christ than ever I saw; and yet I see but little of what may be seen.
  • It is our heaven to lay many weights and burdens upon Christ.
  • Let Him find much employment for His calling with you; for He is such a Friend as delighteth to be burdened with suits and employments; and the more ye lay on Him, and the more homely ye be with Him, the more welcome.
  • There are curtains to be drawn by in the Christ that we never saw, and new foldings of love in Him. I despair that ever I shall win to the far end of that love, there are so many plies in it;
  • I know, we may say, that Christ is kindest in His love when we are at our weakest; and that if Christ had not been to the fore, in our sad days, the waters had gone over our soul.
  • It is not a smooth and easy way, neither will your weather be fair and pleasant; but whosoever saw the invisible God and the fair city, makes no reckoning of losses or crosses. In ye must be, cost you what it will; stand not for a price, and for all that ye have, to win the castle; the rights of it are won to you, and it is disponed to you, in your Lord Jesus’s Testament; and see what a fair legacy your dying Friend, Christ, hath left you: and there wanteth nothing but possession.
  • Poor folks must either borrow or beg from the rich, and the only thing that commendeth sinners to Christ is extreme necessity and want. Christ’s love is ready to make and provide a ransom and money for a poor body who hath lost his purse. “Ho, ye that have no money, come and buy” (Isaiah 55:1). That is the poor man’s market.
  • When Jesus comes in your mind, leave your way and go and speak with him a while. Let not him go without adoration and praise.
  • Christ singeth for thy redemption.
  • Sometimes he will fall down, and Christ will have you alifting, but is near you with his flagon of wine to comfort you.
  • The gospel is the power of God to bring in the rebel’s soul into captivity to Christ… to bring him into grace whether not they will or will not.
  • I find Christ to be Christ, and that He is far, far, even infinite heaven’s height above man. And that is all our happiness. Sinners can do nothing but make wounds that Christ may heal them; and make debts, that He may pay them; and make falls, that He may raise them; and make deaths, that He may quicken them; and spin out and dig hells to themselves, that He may ransom them. Now I will bless the Lord that ever there was such a thing as the free grace of God, and a free ransom given for sold souls; only, alas! guiltiness maketh me ashamed to apply to Christ, and to think it pride in me to put out my unclean and withered hand to such a Saviour! But it is neither shame nor pride for a drowning man to swim to a rock, nor for a ship-broken soul to run himself ashore upon Christ
  • Let Him make anything out of me, so being He be glorified in my salvation: for I know I am made for Him
  • I find that our wants qualify us for Christ.
  • I have been somewhat nearer the Bridegroom; but when I draw nigh, and see my vileness, for shame I would be out of His presence again. But yet, desire of His soul-refreshing love putteth blushing me under an arrest. Oh, what am I, so loathsome a burden of sin, to stand beside such a beautiful and holy Lord, such a high and lofty One who inhabiteth eternity! But since it pleaseth Christ to condescend to such an one as I, let shamefacedness be laid aside, and lose itself in His condescending love. I would heartily be content to keep a corner of the King’s hall.

Last edited:
All of those need to be sourced. Pet peeve. I appreciate that one is marked paraphrased.
Is it a big enough deal to delete the post? It would take me a while to find a source for all these quotes. I understand why it might be problematic...

Last edited:
I've also got a small document of quotes from his Letters. Really powerful.

As I look through your list, I think we've also got a good amount of overlap :)

Here is a good one that I have just read: "A repenting man is more angry at his own heart that consented to sin than he is at the devil who did tempt to sin." (Quaint Sermons, p. 123.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back