Favorite writing style for Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianClinciuJJ

Puritan Board Freshman
First of all, let’s presuppose the content is Orthodox. What is your favorite writing style for Theology?

Is it the free and eloquent style of Augustine? Or the dialectical and rigid style of Aquinas?
Or in the rather personal style of Calvin?
Or the style of Turrettini?

Greetings in Christ,
Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enjoy John Calvin's take on views in disagreement with his own: "But we need not bother with such foolish ideas as these."

I have found John Flavel engaging and convicting. He manages to hold my attention and has some wonderful insights.

I like the energy of many of the Puritans, though, so it would be hard to pick. Thomas Watson is one who has really stirred me up.

I really enjoy Paul’s careful layering and building approach in his epistles. Reading Romans some years ago with a newness of faith I had yet to experience was jaw dropping. I think I ecstatically said “wow” every other verse.

I’m a fan of A. W. Pink’s unrelenting presentation, too.

Of course, there are many others.

I really enjoy Paul’s careful layering and building approach in his epistles. Reading Romans some years ago with a newness of faith I had yet to experience was jaw dropping. I think I ecstatically said “wow” every other verse.

I love Paul's style too. His arguments have an incredible flow(cause ->therefore ->effect).

I like what I have labelled, when I talk to today's generation, meme-a-minute writing. This means you pay attention to your sentences: make them clear, direct, and memorable. If it wouldn't work in a meme, it's probably not a great sentence.

Construct one great sentence on top of another and you have a great book. It will be clear, easy-to-follow, still readable centuries later, with nuance and flourish that come not by building elaborate sentences but by choosing exactly the right words. Merge that with keen insight into both Scripture and the soul of the reader, and you have...

Thomas Watson. No one has done it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back