Fear and reverence of his majesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Thomas Boston, Works, 2:162:

To use the name of God without fear and reverence of his majesty, is to abuse it, Deut. 28:58. His names and titles are dreadful, though sweet. I may say of them as of the rings, they are so high that they are dreadful, Ezek. 1:18. His attributes are so: for even that love, mercy, and grace towards sinners, comes not but through the wounds made in the side of the Mediator by the sword of justice. His ordinances need nothing from men to make them awful; in their greatest simplicity they have an impression of divine authority on them, and God’s special presence in them, sufficient to awe the hearts of them that are not blinded. His word has a peculiar majesty in it; and the meanest of his works bear the impression of a divine hand. And shall we use them without fear?

:) My wife and I have been reading Ezekiel and the discussion has come up about how one would feel in the presence of God. How you would feel to see things such as Ezekiel did. We started reading from it two days ago. Coincidence, not.
To use the name of God without fear and reverence of his majesty, is to abuse it,
I fully agree with that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back