February 28 in Church History

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
On February 28,

* 1066 -- Westminster Abbey first opened its doors;

* 1528 -- Patrick Hamilton became the first Protestant to be martyred in Scotland;

* 1551 -- Martin Bucer, German Reformer, died;

* 1638 -- The Scottish National Covenant was signed at the Greyfriars Church in Edinburgh;

* 1638 -- The castle of Hara, on the Japanese island of Amakusa, held by 30,000 Christian troops under Masada Shiro, was captured. The defenders set fire to the castle, and all perished in the flames or by the sword. From then until 1873 (235 years later), Christianity was banned in Japan under penalty of death;

* 1807 -- Robert Morrison sailed from Britain to become the first Protestant missionary to China. By the time he died 27 years later, he had baptized only 10 Chinese, but his pioneering work (including a six-volume dictionary and a translation of the Bible) helped missionaries who came after him;

* 1944 -- Nazi soldiers arrest Dutch Christian Corrie ten Boom and her family for harboring Jews. The Jews hiding in her house escaped. Corrie was the only member of her family who survived internment in concentration camps.

[Edited on 2-28-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by matthew11v25
John Knox was also born Feb 28, 1513.

Can you provide a citation to document this? My understanding has been that the precise date of his birth (even the year) is debatable. I would be interested to learn if his birth date has been confirmed.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by matthew11v25
John Knox was also born Feb 28, 1513.

Can you provide a citation to document this? My understanding has been that the precise date of his birth (even the year) is debatable. I would be interested to learn if his birth date has been confirmed.

Yes. Christian History Institute , although I should add I am unsure if this is proven. You are right it is debatable (I was unclear in my post). I believe 1513, 1514, 1505 are the most debated years for his birth. But 1513 seems to be the most common view from what I have read.

"* 1638 -- The castle of Hara, on the Japanese island of Amakusa, held by 30,000 Christian troops under Masada Shiro, was captured. The defenders set fire to the castle, and all perished in the flames or by the sword. From then until 1873 (235 years later), Christianity was banned in Japan under penalty of death; "

Were they Romanists? My understanding was that the Jesuits were the only Christians to make inroads in Japan. The Dutch traders didn't do very much evangelism unfortunately.

Originally posted by Peter
"* 1638 -- The castle of Hara, on the Japanese island of Amakusa, held by 30,000 Christian troops under Masada Shiro, was captured. The defenders set fire to the castle, and all perished in the flames or by the sword. From then until 1873 (235 years later), Christianity was banned in Japan under penalty of death; "

Were they Romanists? My understanding was that the Jesuits were the only Christians to make inroads in Japan. The Dutch traders didn't do very much evangelism unfortunately.

You're right. I use the term Christian loosely. I think many of the Christians involved in the Shimabara Rebellion were of Jesuit persuasion. However, a Dutch warship was involved in the Hara Castle siege battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back