Filioque and the Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
In Orthodox theology, the Father is the source and fountainhead of divinity; He eternally begets the Son while proceeding the Holy Spirit.

Western theology turns the Godhead on its side, in a sense, so that both the Father and the Son are placed above the Holy Spirit and together are the source from which the Holy Spirit proceeds.

I haven't read much about the filique from a Reformed perspective and would like to know some of your thoughts on the above quote.

Thank you.

The way I've heard it is that the Son is the full self knowledge of the Father and the Holy Spirit is the shared knowledge of the two manifest in love. That is the way that Thomas Aquinas explained it.

The Reformed would side with Western thought here. The "view" of the Spirit proceeeding from the Blessed Son, does no damage to the scripture indeed it is implied "I will send you another comforter".... it further supports the full divinity of Christ. The Eastern Church "issue" goes WAY back to Imperial Politics! They were up in a wad because they felt they had little/no input! It really comes to that, sadly it is that petty the Eastern will not embrace it ... because you "did not invite us to your party" Really if you thing I am making it simplistic...study on...I am making it simple...far removed from simplistic..I gave a nutshell: Bruised Political Imperial Politics. (The invitation was lost.:lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back