Films about the Reformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grillsy

Puritan Board Junior
I realize that we have both quality Luther films from the 50's and early 00's respectively. We also have that Stacy Keach Luther film. Luther has been portrayed in many dramatic undertakings...but what about Calvin and the other Reformers? Surely Knox deserves at least a BBC TV movie.

Does anyone know of any films where Calvin is portrayed of? Reformation Overview may be the closest thing we have to that.

Is anyone aware of any films dealing with the Reformation and the Reformers?

I realize that we have both quality Luther films from the 50's and early 00's respectively. We also have that Stacy Keach Luther film. Luther has been portrayed in many dramatic undertakings...but what about Calvin and the other Reformers? Surely Knox deserves at least a BBC TV movie.

Does anyone know of any films where Calvin is portrayed of? Reformation Overview may be the closest thing we have to that.

There's a two DVD set called "Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvin" (Amazon.com: Amazing Grace: The History & Theology of Calvinism (Digitally Remastered with Free 220 page Study Guide): Eric Holmberg, James Gelet: Movies & TV). I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it's done in documentary or dramatic style. I have it on my NetFlix queue.

There's a two DVD set called "Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvin" (Amazon.com: Amazing Grace: The History & Theology of Calvinism (Digitally Remastered with Free 220 page Study Guide): Eric Holmberg, James Gelet: Movies & TV). I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it's done in documentary or dramatic style. I have it on my NetFlix queue.

Oh yes, Amazing Grace I own it. I was speaking of actual dramatic productions rather than documentaries. Sorry to for being unclear.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for.

But the video series "The Indestructible Book" has an excellent history of God preserving His Word through history, which involves a substantial part on the Reformation Period.

(This is the PCA video lending library)

CEP Video Catalog

The only dramatic film I can think of that comes remotely close is "Lady Jane," about the life of Jane Grey in England. The Reformation in England is a topic, but it's far more a political movie with a romantic side than it is a film about faith. The faith elements are pretty shallow and I found that side of things unsatisfying.

I'm hoping along with you that someone else knows of something better. I love a good movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back