Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafe Andersen

Puritan Board Freshman
After being a user of Accordance for a few years (BibleWorks before that on PC) I finally made the plunge and graduated last week to Logos 6 Diamond.:graduate:

I was hesitant but it turned out to be an extraordinary piece of software and I love it.:D

Congratulations, Rafe! :cheers: The tools God has provided for us in this century are simply overwhelming in both measure and quality. I hope Logos 6 proves helpful to the advancement of the Kingdom of God.

After being a user of Accordance for a few years (BibleWorks before that on PC) I finally made the plunge and graduated last week to Logos 6 Diamond.:graduate:

I was hesitant but it turned out to be an extraordinary piece of software and I love it.:D

Same for me. I would only add that the L6, in comparison to Accordance is the need for a more robust hardware in your machine. Logos is a power hog. Load time takes forever. Updating is a task. Buying Logos should be considered along the lines of memory, processor and hard drive. Example, if you have an old machine, this will provoke a problem. I am on a 2008 IMAC. The solution for me was adding additional memory, adding a prog called 'Memory Clean' and replacing my standard hard drive w/ an SSD. Load time was at least 10 min's initially, reduced to now about 1 minute. '

It's unfortunate that Logos does not tell you this up front.

Same for me. I would only add that the L6, in comparison to Accordance is the need for a more robust hardware in your machine. Logos is a power hog. Load time takes forever. Updating is a task. Buying Logos should be considered along the lines of memory, processor and hard drive. Example, if you have an old machine, this will provoke a problem. I am on a 2008 IMAC. The solution for me was adding additional memory, adding a prog called 'Memory Clean' and replacing my standard hard drive w/ an SSD. Load time was at least 10 min's initially, reduced to now about 1 minute. '

That is right. I run L6 on a 2014 iMac and it is still slow. My Mac Book on the other hand cannot handle it so I just use Accordance on it.

That is right. I run L6 on a 2014 iMac and it is still slow. My Mac Book on the other hand cannot handle it so I just use Accordance on it.

Rafe,
Did your machine come w/ an SSD? If not, that would be your answer.

Rafe,
Did your machine come w/ an SSD? If not, that would be your answer.

My iMac? Well I do not think it has that. Not sure though.

I sadly ended up returning Logos today. I was spending more time calling customer service to fix things than actually studying. Not to mention how slow it was even on my iMac, to which they could give me no answer. Logos is awesome, but sadly it was not for me I guess.

I wonder if I bought a PC laptop if it would run any better.

Having a laptop which is so old it's almost steam-powered, I have found that Olive Tree software runs fine on it. I use it most on my iPad, and it works ok too on my android phone. So, it's a free download which comes with KJV and ESV free and has fairly regular sale reductions on some of the pay resources. I don't know if you have had a look/ tried it? I've never tried Logos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sadly ended up returning Logos today. I was spending more time calling customer service to fix things than actually studying. Not to mention how slow it was even on my iMac, to which they could give me no answer. Logos is awesome, but sadly it was not for me I guess.

I run Logos 6 Portfolio on a Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop with no real performance issues. As others have stated, having a solid state hard drive is a benefit for all software running on the machine to avoid the latency associated with access (read/write) to a spinning hard drive platter.

Having a laptop which is so old it's almost steam-powered, I have found that Olive Tree software runs fine on it. I use it most on my iPad, and it works ok too on my android phone. So, it's a free download which comes with KJV and ESV free and has fairly regular sale reductions on some of the pay resources. I don't know if you have had a look/ tried it? I've never tried Logos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen Olive Tree before. They are wonderful for acquiring resources at a reduced price, no doubt.

I run Logos 6 Portfolio on a Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop with no real performance issues. As others have stated, having a solid state hard drive is a benefit for all software running on the machine to avoid the latency associated with access (read/write) to a spinning hard drive platter.

I just don't know what to do. I love Logos. I am not sure if it was my iMac or Logos 6. I will never know.

I haven't experienced any significant issues with Logos 6 on the computers on which I have the program installed. I have loaded it on my wife's notebook (for which I paid $270 new) and it loads relatively slowly and takes some time to index when massive updates occur but it otherwise runs well when open. I also have it on a 7 year old desktop. I agree with the comments about the IO speed of the hard drive but that's a matter of patience and not usability as, once the data is loaded from HDD to memory, the program runs on computers with 4GB of RAM.

Incidentally, I just launched Logos 6 on the desktop to check and it is downloading a 348MB update. Checking Task Manager (with the update downloading), the program is consuming less than 1% of the CPU and about 500MB of RAM. I regularly experience much more of a load from iTunes or Chrome when many tabs are open.

Incidentally, I just launched Logos 6 on the desktop to check and it is downloading a 348MB update. Checking Task Manager (with the update downloading), the program is consuming less than 1% of the CPU and about 500MB of RAM. I regularly experience much more of a load from iTunes or Chrome when many tabs are open.

Ok thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back