Finding rare early Puritan volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
I've started a small collection of early editions on covenant theology and there are a few volumes in particular I would absolutely cherish, but they are rare and I haven't been able to find any for purchase (or even, according to google, any that have been purchased, at least online).

Aside from searching google for particular titles, authors, dates and publishers of those particular editions, does anyone have any ideas of how to locate these kinds of items? Are there any kinds of rare book clubs with memberships or any other avenue of finding these items that would not necessarily show up on google? Thanks so much.

Try these links mentioned after my post:
https://puritanboard.com/threads/jo...-15-and-Christ’s-humanity.99933/#post-1220333

Another place to look would be the Post Reformation Digital Library

-- prdl.org

Guys, sorry my post wasn't clear enough. These are helpful, but I'm actually looking for the original editions themselves (rather than digital).

If you're not familiar with all of the main used book sites or you want an easy way to search them, try bookfinder.com or used.addall.com. Something may occasionally appear on those sites. They include ebay listings if they are fixed price. For auctions though, you have to search ebay directly.

An ebay seller I've dealt with in the past is Joel Beeke's brother, John Beeke. He has mostly recent Reformed literature, but not infrequently lists tomes from the distant past, such as this one;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1792-The-J...510935?hash=item5b65a7aa97:g:FfwAAOSwPsBd1yL~

Another avenue might be writing to publishers of Reformed reprints directly. At one time an original by Anthony Burgess was for sale at 'International Outreach' in Ames, Iowa. They had done the 2 volume Spiritual Refining, and had the reference copy for sale.

If I recall correctly Chris Coldwell mentioned using copies of Durham's works in his editing/publishing his works, they may be available, and Dr. Don Kistler mentioned paying handsomely for a copy of a book that he recently published. In some cases when the project is finished the book may be available. Here is the thread where Dr. Kistler alluded to the purchase of the original copy ;
https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/a-publishing-milestone-from-the-northampton-press.99354/

An ebay seller I've dealt with in the past is Joel Beeke's brother, John Beeke.

I've seen his listings through the years. I didn't know he was Joel Beeke's brother, but it doesn't surprise me. As you say, he mostly lists "ordinary" books but there may be a rarity like that here and there.

In general, I'd say to keep an eye on eBay. With all of that site's problems from a seller standpoint, it is still arguably the best place to sell unique items.

There are some Facebook groups too, such as one called "Reformed, Evangelical Used Books" or something similar. You won't often find rare books there, but one may hit it occasionally. And alot of people have moved from eBay to FB, which is something I'm going to do (along with the PB to some extent) with some books I'll be selling soon, Lord willing. You can also post that you are looking for a certain book and you may get a helpful response.

Ditto the previous posts. I have used Lachman who've I've been buying from since 1983; more recently Dickson a time or two. Not been on ebay in some time but have used them in the past, but much more abebooks.com. When it comes to a specific title and date it, unless it is the only edition, you will need to be patient. However, it is an expensive hobby.

I was looking for the hardback Banner of Truth edition of Spurgeon's New Park Street Pulpit and John Beeke had them on ebay. Six volumes and in separate auctions ending a few minutes apart. I had to be 'on my game', but I was the sole bidder, so it wasn't that bad.

Following the purchase I messaged him and asked if he was any relation to Joel, and he replied that they were brothers. So I got my information from the proverbial horse's mouth.

Ditto the previous posts. I have used Lachman who've I've been buying from since 1983; more recently Dickson a time or two. Not been on ebay in some time but have used them in the past, but much more abebooks.com. When it comes to a specific title and date it, unless it is the only edition, you will need to be patient. However, it is an expensive hobby.

Patience definitely pays, even if it is not something extremely rare.

At various times I've waited years for OOP 20th Century works or Bibles that are in Very Goodish condition to hit the used market at a reasonable price. Then five copies will hit eBay or Abe or whatever seemingly all at once. For something that is really rare and would be considered a collectors item, I'm sure you're either likely to wait a whole lot longer or else will be looking at paying a high price to buy it from someone who might prefer to keep it otherwise.

I was looking for the hardback Banner of Truth edition of Spurgeon's New Park Street Pulpit and John Beeke had them on ebay. Six volumes and in separate auctions ending a few minutes apart. I had to be 'on my game', but I was the sole bidder, so it wasn't that bad.

Following the purchase I messaged him and asked if he was any relation to Joel, and he replied that they were brothers. So I got my information from the proverbial horse's mouth.

I don't think I've ever bought anything from him for whatever reason. But he appears to have good deals.

There are exceptions. The Lord was kind in that the one volume not in EEBO or online of Durham on Revelation was on abebooks the day I looked. It was not cheap but still relatively bargain compared to other works of the period c. 1680.
Patience definitely pays, even if it is not something extremely rare.

At various times I've waited years for OOP 20th Century works or Bibles that are in Very Goodish condition to hit the used market at a reasonable price. Then five copies will hit eBay or Abe or whatever seemingly all at once. For something that is really rare and would be considered a collectors item, I'm sure you're either likely to wait a whole lot longer or else will be looking at paying a high price to buy it from someone who might prefer to keep it otherwise.

To be honest, unless you have loads of money at your disposal, I do not consider stocking up on original editions a good use of cash. Given that you may find most of this material online, why spend a fortune purchasing original hard copies?

Several people have recommended my dad as a source - David C Lachman (www.davidclachman.com); I will say the website is more than archaic :-D though we do occasionally post things on it. Really it only serves as a gateway to his actual stock; most of his business is done by request, largely via email, and lately I have been helping fill those requests. If you have specific books you're looking for, please send me a message or send an email to his website's "webmaster" email (also me, though you can tell other things have taken precedence over his website for many years now). I'm happy to try to help fill orders. It's a slow process to find and sort books in his stock (I won't pretend he has it organized; it's not), but I am slowly working on it as I have time & also creating a list of what people want so as to be able to fill those needs. We are happy to ship overseas, as well.

Several people have recommended my dad as a source - David C Lachman (www.davidclachman.com); I will say the website is more than archaic :-D though we do occasionally post things on it. Really it only serves as a gateway to his actual stock; most of his business is done by request, largely via email, and lately I have been helping fill those requests. If you have specific books you're looking for, please send me a message or send an email to his website's "webmaster" email (also me, though you can tell other things have taken precedence over his website for many years now). I'm happy to try to help fill orders. It's a slow process to find and sort books in his stock (I won't pretend he has it organized; it's not), but I am slowly working on it as I have time & also creating a list of what people want so as to be able to fill those needs. We are happy to ship overseas, as well.
Hi Sarah, I'd love to PM you, but it's telling me the message is too long lol. I'll go ahead and send what I wrote to the website's "webmaster" address. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back