Finding Said to Boost Proof of Goliath

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
Finding Said to Boost Proof of Goliath

Thu Nov 10, 8:36 PM ET

JERUSALEM - Archaeologists digging at the purported biblical home of Goliath have unearthed a shard of pottery bearing an inscription of the Philistine's name, a find they claimed lends historical credence to the Bible's tale of David's battle with the giant.

While the discovery is not definitive evidence of Goliath's existence, it does support the Bible's depiction of life at the time the battle was supposed to have occurred, said Dr. Aren Maeir, a professor at Bar-Ilan University and director of the excavation.

"What this means is that at the time there were people there named Goliath," he said. "It shows us that David and Goliath's story reflects the cultural reality of the time." In the story, David slew Goliath with a slingshot.

Some scholars assert the story of David slaying the giant Goliath is a myth written down hundreds of years later. Maeir said finding the scraps lends historical credence to the biblical story.

The shard dates back to around 950 B.C., within 70 years of when biblical chronology asserts David squared off against Goliath, making it the oldest Philistine inscription ever found, the archaeologists said.

Scientists made the discovery at Tel es-Safi, a dig site in southern Israel thought to be to be the location of the Philistine city of Gath.

Cool!

Like one of my pastors once said "The Bible is always right.. it's just that sometimes history and science has not caught up with it yet" :)

I saw a tv show a while back (discovery channel or history channel I think) that looked at present day giants (think of those about seven foot six inches to seven foot 10 inches). The present day giants had a number of ailments in common, one of which was their eyesight. They have a hard time with peripheral vision.

Given the weight of Goliath's armour, and his lack of mobility (another physical limitation in the present day giants), coupled with the facts of David's agility and no armour, it is conceivable that David positioned himself toward the side of Goliath and launched his rock from there.

Bobby

It would be an interesting find, if it bears out. In the last decade there have been several high-profile antiquties frauds perpetrated in Israel concerning "biblical" relics. The one that is freshest in mind is the "James, brother of Jesus" ossuary.

People put all this stock in these articles, as if they were a "holy grail," and then they turn to ashes. Fake "finds" distract people from the Word of Truth in the same way as a cheeseburger that contains an "image of the Virgin" which will bring you a miracle if you keep it on the third shelf in your refrigerator for three weeks (don't take it out of the zip-lok bag!).

"If they do not believe Moses and the prophets, neither will they believe even if someone should rise from the dead."

Some really great finds in the field this season! The oldest known church, the oldest Hebrew alphabet, and now this. And all in situ, no black market grave robberies this time. Cool! I've worked with digs here, but some day I hope to take part in a dig over there.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
It would be an interesting find, if it bears out. In the last decade there have been several high-profile antiquties frauds perpetrated in Israel concerning "biblical" relics. The one that is freshest in mind is the "James, brother of Jesus" ossuary.

People put all this stock in these articles, as if they were a "holy grail," and then they turn to ashes. Fake "finds" distract people from the Word of Truth in the same way as a cheeseburger that contains an "image of the Virgin" which will bring you a miracle if you keep it on the third shelf in your refrigerator for three weeks (don't take it out of the zip-lok bag!).

"If they do not believe Moses and the prophets, neither will they believe even if someone should rise from the dead."

This is exactly what I don't like about evidential apologetics, as far as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back