Finite Humanity in Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Sailor

Puritan Board Doctor
I realize this question is somewhat speculative regarding the nature of glorification. There will still be a Creator/creature distinction in heaven, and we shall still be finite creatures in heaven. So, my question is, how shall our finite minds experience knowledge of the Triune God in eternity? Will they be filled to their full capacity of knowledge and understanding at the Resurrection (which could be implied by seeing "face to face", 1 Cor 13:12)? Or will there still be a process of growth in understanding the infinite God even in glory? I've heard some say that because God is infinite, our learning will never stop. And yet, if we are finite then our knowledge should have limits even in glory. So at some point even in eternity, it seems we would reach a saturation point due to our finite capacity. Or perhaps there is just an ever increasing quality of knowledge rather than quantity?

Just pondering what eternity will be like today and this question came to mind...

As long as we don't participate in the essence of God (which being simple, would mean we are absorbed into that essence; and I would say mind along with essence) I don't see a problem in affirming both finitude and ever-increasing growth.

The "face to face" is speaking of the resurrected incarnate Jesus. We, in glory, will have a knowledge of Jesus which is a creaturely knowledge. To think we can know or comprehend the divine essence of God is impossible in this life or the life to come.

Chapter II

Of God, and of the Holy Trinity

I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

I like how Edwards talks about our capacity for knowing God in our glorified state:

"It will be no clamp to the happiness of those who have lower degrees of happiness and glory, that there are others advanced in glory above them: for all shall be perfectly happy, every one'shall be perfectly satisfied. Every vessel that is cast into this ocean of happiness is full, though there are some vessels far larger than others; and there shall be no such • thing as envy in heaven, but perfect love shall reign through the whole society. Those who are not so high in glory as others, will not envy those that are higher, but they will have so great, and strong, and pure love to them, that they will rejoice in their superior happiness; their love to them will be such that they will rejoice that they are happier than themselves; so that instead of having a damp to their own happiness, it will add to it." --from sermon on 2 Cor. 9

Is there not an infinite quality to our emptiness? Were we not originally created to ever glorify God and enjoy Him? If our capacity to receive Him were limited, then at a certain point we would be full, with no newness in our appreciation of Him—Him who is infinitely new and eternally fresh with wonder and glory.

I think we were created to perfectly match our divine Husband: infinite emptiness joined to infinite fulness, joined together in eternal love and joy.

Christ, in His humanity, although glorified and exalted, is also finite, like us.

He will lead us into endless fountains of living waters.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back