Fireproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it seems that a lot of people have come to a conclusion about the movie. Most of you believe the movie is God exalting. There are many parts in the movie that I believe are(marriage between a man and woman, the union being made in the name of Christ). Yet, there were a few things that I didn't agree with and found to be quite unbiblical.

There was a scene in the movie where the dad was speaking to his son in front of a cross. There was talk about the son's marriage and how the wife treated him. This is the scene where the son "accepts Jesus into his heart". Kirk Cameron seems like a good guy, don't get me wrong, but his theology is weak. The theology presented in the movie was far from God exalting, in my opinion. The sovereignty of God was not proclaimed but rather God was shown as a little boy who could be tossed around by human will. Anything that does not proclaim God as He truly is, is proclaiming another God.

In all honesty, I'm surprised that no one, besides a few, have any criticism of the movie. I'm not saying that the entire movie was bad, I'm just cautious about what is promoted as "biblical". There were very good parts in the movie that did make a tear, but we should not submit our intellects to emotions.

Most things you have pointed out are spiritual meat and potatoes. If you are going to try to lead a broken man to Christ as portrayed in the movie I would not start off with "God is Large and In Charge and you have better get used to it." I don't have a problem with the movie portraying the process as just that, a process, a slice of life. The details are filled in later but the big picture is that Christ died for our sins, that is the Gospel. Just my 2 drachmas.

I went to see this movie for many of the same reasons I went to see the Matrix, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings: I wanted to see a movie. It had a good message in regards to a marriage on the rocks that was saved. The gospel? Movies are not venues for the gospel; although it may be used to allow a person to listen to the gospel. If a person went to see this movie EXPECTING it to be a gospel presentation, I think they went with the wrong expectation.

The movie was good. I actually enjoyed it despite the opening scene that made me cringe. I thought it was going to be one of those Christian B movies from the 70s. Kirk Cameron's acting was well done. I was surprised at the amount of emotion he put into the role. There was one stunt scene that was well done I was quite impressed with the suspense. (Won't give away the details) The other actors were mediocre; probably need more experience on film. The gospel was mentioned however there was one line in the presentation of the gospel that was quasi man-centered not God centric. For the most part the show did a good job of presenting the trials that come in marriage and that there’s healing and forgiveness in Christ.

I saw a review which made an interesting point at the end. I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not expressing an opinion myself, but this paragraph is something that people engaged in doing Christian things certainly ought to ponder.

These are temptations faced by Christian and non-Christian couples alike, but the filmmakers hedge their bets by making the young marrieds agnostic at the start of the movie, in order to turn Fireproof into a manual for eternal as well as marital salvation. (''I'm in!'' Cameron announces to a spiritually mentoring firefighter pal.) You probably can't blame pastors moonlighting as moviemakers for wanting to pack their film with multiple messages, but the conversion subplot feels shoehorned into the more crucial marital doings, as if coming to Jesus might be just one of a long checklist of steps to restore sizzle to your marriage, right between buying roses and preparing a candlelit dinner.

He has a point. At times the Gospel seemed forced into the movie.
Who presents the Gospel perfect every time? Did any of us get saved from one presentation of the whole truth of the Gospel? These guys did an excellent job of presenting the Gospel. It was not perfect. But, like Moody once said, I'd rather do it the way I'm doing it than the way you're not doing it (or something like that). Praise God for co-laborers and proclaimers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, however inadequate and imperfect we may be.

The movie was good. It had enough humor and moved along fairly well.
I like the way it highlighted the gossip of the nurses at the hospital, which was life like.
I did not expect that it was going to be a theological masterpiece. It was more like watching a movie from the fifties in that there was no cursing and nudity,like every movie made today relies upon.
I think it was good to see christians trying to occupy till he comes, in the movie arena.
We will be waiting a very long time before we see an accurate portrayal of the doctrines of grace in any contempory film. God has left that unto His elect to be seen of all.
1Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

I can see the members of The Puritanboard making a real life movie.
Rich ,and the other servicemen on the board running a boot camp. Cult members and arminians are quickly weeded out. Baptists are accused of conflating the sign and the thing signified,are sent to the brig.
Zenas intercedes for them as an advocate, before Bob, Bruce, and Matthew as judges.
Calvin and Hodges demands complete baptist repentance.:lol:
Randy and Bill counter with some historical arguements. Andrew Meyers posts some online books and links.
Zenas decides he can no longer advocate for the baptist position. Kmk upon asking some pointed questions suggests a mis-trial .
The Canadian brethren request a change of venue. The theonomists among us appeal to Moses. Members of the jury argue about EP, rather than the issue at hand. :gpl::confused:
I think fireproof would be the better choice:judge:

I like the way it highlighted the gossip of the nurses at the hospital, which was life like.
I did not expect that it was going to be a theological masterpiece. It was more like watching a movie from the fifties in that there was no cursing and nudity,like every movie made today relies upon.
I think it was good to see christians trying to occupy till he comes, in the movie arena.
We will be waiting a very long time before we see an accurate portrayal of the doctrines of grace in any contempory film. God has left that unto His elect to be seen of all.
1Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Rich ,and the other servicemen on the board running a boot camp. Cult members and arminians are quickly weeded out. Baptists are accused of conflating the sign and the thing signified,are sent to the brig.
Zenas intercedes for them as an advocate, before Bob, Bruce, and Matthew as judges.
Randy and Bill counter with some historical arguements. Andrew Meyers posts some online books and links.
Zenas decides he can no longer advocate for the baptist position. Kmk upon asking some pointed questions suggests a mis-trial .
The Canadian brethren request a change of venue. The theonomists among us appeal to Moses. Members of the jury argue about EP, rather than the issue at hand. :gpl::confused:

:rofl:

That's funny!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.