First Mass since Reformation to be held in Swiss cathedral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
This is tragic:

The first Catholic Mass in nearly five hundred years will be celebrated at a cathedral in Geneva later this month. Mass will be said in the Cathedral of Saint-Pierre de Genève on Feb. 29, in a decision announced by the Diocese of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg’s episcopal vicariate for the city.

The cathedral was the seat of the Catholic bishops of Geneva from the fourth century until the Protestant Reformation. The last Mass celebrated at the cathedral took place in 1535. After the Reformation, the building was taken over by John Calvin’s Reformed Protestant Church, which destroyed the cathedral’s statues and paintings, and banned Catholic worship.

Fr. Pascal Desthieux, the Catholic episcopal vicar for Geneva, described the cathedral as the “central and symbolic location of Geneva’s Christian history” in a letter published on the vicariate’s website. Following the reformation, the cathedral became a location “emblematic of the Calvinist reform,” he said.

John Calvin, the founder of Calvinism, lived in Geneva, and the city was a destination for French Protestants who were forced to flee France due to persecution. Saint-Pierre de Genève was Calvin’s home church and his chair is displayed next to the cathedral’s pulpit.

The Diocese of Geneva was eventually absorbed into the Diocese of Lausanne, Geneva, and Fribourg. Today, just under 40% of Switzerland is Catholic. At the request of Geneva’s Protestant population, Desthieux will celebrate the Mass and not Bishop Charles Morerod of Lausanne, Geneva, and Fribourg. But, Desthieux said, Bishop Morerod views the Mass as an historic “local event.”

You may find this article of interest:

It highlights the battle for orthodoxy in Geneva between Turretin's son and nephew, Benedict Pictet.

You may find this article of interest:

It highlights the battle for orthodoxy in Geneva between Turretin's son and nephew, Benedict Pictet.

It really is amazing how so many historical bastions of Reformed orthodoxy so soon fell to liberalism or even rank atheism. I think of Geneva in Europe. I also think of the great schools in our country—Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Union Seminary in NYC, Union in Virgina, Columbia in Georgia, and the list goes on. And the insane thing to me is that today's conservative denominations—the SBC, PCA, and OPC come immediately to mind—think that they are immune to the same fate. "We're fine; all of our professors/pastors have signed such-and-such statement of faith," I've heard time and time again. This historical example is just one in a thousand that shows this to be near absolute foolishness and naiveté.

Not surprising. Geneva rejected the God of Calvin long ago.
Some time ago I was contemplating that Switzerland would be a great country to shift to. In terms of quality of life and life expectancy it rates very high on practically every area. The scenery is awesome. People tell me there is much maturity in Swiss culture. I understand that Switzerland observes Sunday as a day of rest.

It seems to me this is an example of a secular nation being blessed with much common grace. However, now that Geneva celebrates mass in a historic Reformation cathedral, one does wonder how long this common grace will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back