First Systematic Theology to Begin Studying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of an aside, but I am somewhat newly "reformed", but not "truly reformed" and I was wondering why it seems like most of the more popular Calvinistic preachers among younger people mostly talk about Wayne Grudem's systematic theology and they really don't mention any others very often except for occasionally mentioning Calvin's institutes perhaps.

Is it because most of the Calvinistic preachers that are popular among younger people are at least slightly charismatic?

Quite possible. However, here are some other reasons:

1. Grudem sides with clear communication over technical jargon. Despite his Harvard, Westminster, and Cambridge education, he avoids leaving Latin droppings on every page. And, when it comes to English words, can you really cram more meaning into the "perspicuity" of Scripture (the term used in many texts) as opposed to the "clarity" of the Bible?

2. Grudem calls his work a "systematic theology." However, he suffuses it with lots of exegetical insight. Remember that he is known for his exegetical and commentary work.

3. Grudem has written his book to make it accessible to students taking their first course in Systematic Theology. You do not need to understand the intricacies of philosophy to follow his arguments.

4. While he is Baptist, historic premil, and Vineyard friendly, his commitment to Reformed soteriology comes through quite clearly. Perhaps some of the speakers who appeal to younger people appreciate the fact that one does not need to be TR in order to appreciate Grudem.

Is Grudem my be-all and end-all? Not by a mile! Reymond is pretty easy to read, contemporary, and Presbyterian. The older dogmaticians, including the Protestant scholastics, are rich, deep, and satisfying. I just thought that a non-swimmer might appreciate the wading end before going for the deep water.

To continue Joshua's posts about great systematic theology books, how about Barth's Dogmatics?? :smug:

Last edited:
One volume I've found particularly helpful, especially as a beginner, is G.I. Williamson's "Westmister Confession of Faith for Study Classes." Obviously this is not a seminary-level text, but it's organized around an historic confession of Reformed belief and is quite easy to read, especially since each chapter is fairly short and can be read by itself.

I also recommend Grudem's book for the same reasons...easy to read, very clear, and each chapter can be read to great benefit apart from the others. I've noticed that he also has a series of lectures (Sunday school, I think?) on the web that follows his book. Lately I don't have much time to swim or wade in books, and I find that much of my learning comes by way of listening through lectures while driving to and from work!

Hi:

You cannot go wrong with any of the one's suggested above - Chafer and Finney excluded. :)

You should definately read Calvin's Institutes. The Institutes should be a priority. A'Brackel's Christian Reasonable Service is also a must read. If you are looking for something contemporary than Robert L Reymond's New Systematic Theology is excellent.

Without any further information from you the above three should be your focus. Depending on what you are actually looking for the others: Berkhof, Dabney, Bavinck, Hodge, Gill, Bullinger, Turretin, would also be very good recommendations as well.

You might also try John Brown of Haddington's Systematic Theology as well.

I cannot stress the importance of reading Calvin's Institutes. He teaches the soul and substance of Reformed Theology.

A'Brakel's work is excellent. Not only does he teach the very marrow of Christian doctrine, but he also applies it to the reader - experimental theology at its best.

Reymond's book I only recently picked up, but I am very impressed by the way he packs Scripture into everything he says.

Turretin's Elenctic Theology is instructional not only in the truth, but also in answer to the error. He displays what heretics and Romanists teach concerning a certain area of theology, and then he demonstrates the Truth in answer to them.

I enjoy reading Hodge - sort of an updated Turretin.

Berkhof, Dabney, and Gill* can get very technical. If you are looking for precision, then these men are a good choice. I would recommend reading them after Calvin and a'Brackel.

Bullinger's Decades is systematics worked out through sermons. Thus, it is invaluable for a preacher. Excellent for laymen as well - he preaches right to you.

John Brown of Haddington's work has over 10,000 citations of Scripture in it, and that is the value of the book. However, you can only get it in a reprint of an old edition. Thus, it is a bit difficult to read, and there is a bit of a language difference between Early Modern English and Modern English (after a while you get used to it). I have memorized portions of his work for tests in Systematics, and have gotten "A's" in them! (updated the language of course)

To add one more to the list: Dr. Richard Gamble's Systematic/Biblical Theology which, if all goes well, should be available in September.

Be careful in reading Systematics, though, because too much exercise of the Brain, and not enough exercise of the Heart, can dry out the soul.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

*Exceptions I would make with Gill are his views on Baptism, Church Government, and, later in life, his hypercalvinism.

I had Dr. Gamble for Doctrine of Revelation in the Spring and cannot wait to feast upon his writing.

...and we forget shouldn't the valuable contributions by Charles Wesley either. :lol:

Hmmm...John?

:oops: Yeah. I guess subconsciously I couldn't bring myself to attribute something as a "valuable contrintribution" to John Wesley. Is that what they call one of them there "Fraudulent Slips?" :lol:

Twnety years ago, after reading through a few ST's boorowed from libraries, the first ST an acquaintance actually bought was that by ... Rudolf Bultmann. To my raised eyebrows he replied, "Know your enemy."

Twenty years ago, after reading through a few ST's boorowed from libraries, the first ST an acquaintance actually bought was that by ... Rudolf Bultmann. To my raised eyebrows he replied, "Know your enemy."

I know, that's why I got stuck reading Barth. I like Dabney because he's philosophical in the right way, but for the atonement, nothing beats Owen's Death of Death!!

I think Norm Geisler has a Systematic Theology out. (te he he he)

No one mentioned Chafer....? [kidding]

Hey, Chafer was my first Sys Theo. I read the whole thing in 7 weeks during my junior year in high school. I have theologies (entire or parts of them)from Chafer, Geisler, Brunner, Arminius, Barth, Finney, Olson, Pinnock, Duffield (Pentecostal), Hayford, Aquinas, Ryrie, Oden, Jewett, Grenz, and Cottrell (Restorationist Campbellite). Wanna make something of it? :lol: Does that make me a heretic, airhead, or just very confused?

(Actually, pride of place in my library goes to Luther, Calvin, Turretin, Owen, Edwards, Gill, a Brakel, Ames, Warfield, Strong, Bavinck, Kuyper, C. Hodge, Dabney, Shedd, Warfield, A.A. Hodge, Van Til, Berkouwer, Berkhof, Boice, Sproul, Bloesch, Frame, Gill, Piper, Schaeffer, Spurgeon, Henry, Reymond, Grudem, Smith, Erickson, etc.)

I had to laugh at this, Dennis. You say "pride of place." And then you mention just about every ST known to man as taking pride of place. I especially like the "etc." at the end. That is one huge pride of place you got goin' there! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back