First table of the law as US law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I question your historical analysis.

Second, Samwise Gamgee has something to say on the subject.
Did they not have to go to war to keep what they did? Did they not persecute those who wouldn't go along with it? How much more would that stuff happen today in our culture, that isn't a monarchy? So it would have to be worse to achieve it, that's my point.

In the context of my whole post, in order to get establishment people died. It wasn't peaceful, it was war and death. It wasn't wrong either, it was necessary. So what makes us think it be any different in our age and is that right?
No, we shouldn’t think it will be any different in our age. The reformers nor the church wanted war. They did not declare war. War came through governments of men fighting for worldly power. Yes, establishment of the true religion is right and good. War is inevitable in our age regardless, it is going to come where it will come.

I’m sorry I (we) don’t seem to be able to give a satisfactory answer about this. Maybe a couple of good church histories could help? McCrie’s Scottish Church History is one, helps one to see the events of the 1st and 2nd Scottish reformations through hopefully new eyes.

We can't even get Tom to observe the Sabbath by not posting movies on the Sabbath much less have unbelievers observe the Sabbath. :cool: Tom, I have a big gun and I'm ready for a reformed war. Actually, I hate guns and war so carry on. :surrender:
Is it the Sabbath there still? Sorry! I've just had Monday lunch.

Did they not have to go to war to keep what they did? Did they not persecute those who wouldn't go along with it? How much more would that stuff happen today in our culture, that isn't a monarchy? So it would have to be worse to achieve it, that's my point.
Is all war wrong? You appear to be making sweeping statements.

Define "persecution".

No, we shouldn’t think it will be any different in our age. The reformers nor the church wanted war. They did not declare war. War came through governments of men fighting for worldly power. Yes, establishment of the true religion is right and good. War is inevitable in our age regardless, it is going to come where it will come.

I’m sorry I (we) don’t seem to be able to give a satisfactory answer about this. Maybe a couple of good church histories could help? McCrie’s Scottish Church History is one, helps one to see the events of the 1st and 2nd Scottish reformations through hopefully new eyes.
I understand, I'm sorry if I seems I doubt the necessary things the reformers had to do to make that noble and good thing that reformers did. It was necessary. My only point is how much worse will it be today? Really all I want is a practical game plan for how it will happen? I don't seem to be getting that so in fairness I'll drop it. But we should all think about these things when we want massive changes to our country no matter how noble it is. It's not that I'm not satisfied it's just that I wish a practical plan of some kind would be given for discussion. It would be nice to discuss the ins and outs of a plan of some kind. Also I've never doubted anyone's good intentions, I've seen no bad ones.

Is all war wrong? You appear to be making sweeping statements.

Define "persecution".
No not all war is bad. If it's a good war why? Is it worth it? The war the reformers fought both physically and spiritually were good and necessary. I would define persecution in this context as the inevitable coeortion that would take place trying to take our country from where it is to an established religion, it would have to be physical and probably lethal.

No not all war is bad. If it's a good war why? Is it worth it? The war the reformers fought both physically and spiritually were good and necessary. I would define persecution in this context as the inevitable coeortion that would take place trying to take our country from where it is to an established religion, it would have to be physical and probably lethal.
You need to be more precise. What conflicts and persecutions do you have in mind?

You need to be more precise. What conflicts and persecutions do you have in mind?
Ok, the persecutions in Germany, I believe Luther wrote a book about it. in England and other European countries. I believe it's well documented. Zwingli died in battle. How many Europea countries persecuted people who didn't hold to a particular confession? Salem witch trials? This is all history.

Fifth, the only practical way it could be done, it seems to me, is adopting a revision of the constitution. The only practical way that could be done is by the spirit of God falling on men in a time of national revival and reformation.

Amen to this. I should at this point mention that I do believe the establishment principle.

A good and wise friend of mine compares the United States to the Northern Kingdom of Israel in days of old. They, like us, never once had a truly godly king. All of Israel's kings were evil. England, on the other hand, with all of their many faults and wicked deeds still where legally covenanted to God with Christ as their King. They, like Southern Judah, had a few godly kings.

I'm just getting started on this thread so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I understand, I'm sorry if I seems I doubt the necessary things the reformers had to do to make that noble and good thing that reformers did. It was necessary. My only point is how much worse will it be today? Really all I want is a practical game plan for how it will happen? I don't seem to be getting that so in fairness I'll drop it. But we should all think about these things when we want massive changes to our country no matter how noble it is. It's not that I'm not satisfied it's just that I wish a practical plan of some kind would be given for discussion. It would be nice to discuss the ins and outs of a plan of some kind. Also I've never doubted anyone's good intentions, I've seen no bad ones.
Ok, I see more where you’re coming from now. I think maybe one problem is in not seeing a distinction: you’re assuming there are some who “want massive changes to our country” and who (you think, at least?) are wanting to get to work to implement those changes; but all I’ve seen on the thread(s) are those who hold doctrinally to the establishment principle as good and believe the magistrate has a duty to uphold the first table. Has anyone on these threads said they want to, or believe there’s a way to, bring about massive changes toward a church establishment or the magistrate upholding the first table? I haven’t seen that from anyone, unless I missed it.

I believe church establishments are biblical and desirable, but I don’t think we are to think in terms of a practical plan to bring one about. I think Scripture does tell us important things the church and its members as private persons should be doing to promote Christ and godliness. Some good thoughts have been expressed already in these threads. I think number one is that the church should be praying corporately and earnestly for God’s kingdom to come and his will to be done on earth as it is in heaven; and praying for kings and all in authority, specifically that they’ll rule in such a way

“that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”

But I’m afraid the majority of churches in the U.S. don’t really pray like this. The majority of churches and their members ignore and desecrate the Sabbath. And so on.

So if God brings about any future godly establishments of the church anywhere in the world- who knows, who can say what foment and trouble may or may not accompany. Read the book of Revelation. It seems that the nations rage against the LORD and against his anointed Son, and will until the end.

Ok, the persecutions in Germany, I believe Luther wrote a book about it. in England and other European countries. I believe it's well documented. Zwingli died in battle. How many Europea countries persecuted people who didn't hold to a particular confession? Salem witch trials? This is all history.
I have hope that the church will remember and learn from any past mistakes. It’s providential and great that we have all this history preserved for us. It’s the main reason I’m trying to collect books for our church.

Ok, the persecutions in Germany, I believe Luther wrote a book about it. in England and other European countries. I believe it's well documented. Zwingli died in battle. How many Europea countries persecuted people who didn't hold to a particular confession? Salem witch trials?
Specific examples, please, not general mentions.
This is all history.
History is what people say it is. Different people say different things.

Has anyone on these threads said they want to, or believe there’s a way to, bring about massive changes toward a church establishment or the magistrate upholding the first table? I haven’t seen that from anyone, unless I missed it.

I believe church establishments are biblical and desirable, but I don’t think we are to think in terms of a practical plan to bring one about. I think Scripture does tell us important things the church and its members as private persons should be doing to promote Christ and godliness.

We would have to change so much. We need some sort of massive Revival and an unprecedented Reformation of the churches, and a new constitution. If God is planning some future glorious transformation in the United States that would be great. But I doubt very much that that would come without a rather severe judgment first. As I have said before, I think we will not get out of our present situation unscathed. It is God's usual way to couple judgment with salvation and in that order. So no, I do not think there is any way to bring our country from where it is to become a Christian Nation in a top-down manner. But I think rather it has to be a bottom-up manner when the rank-and-file Christians who need to be the majority want Godly rule and are willing to vote and work and suffer for it.

Specific examples, please, not general mentions.

History is what people say it is. Different people say different things.
Not sure what you mean here? Specific examples of what? Considering I didn't live than Specific is pretty relative.

We would have to change so much. We need some sort of massive Revival and an unprecedented Reformation of the churches, and a new constitution. If God is planning some future glorious transformation in the United States that would be great. But I doubt very much that that would come without a rather severe judgment first. As I have said before, I think we will not get out of our present situation unscathed. It is God's usual way to couple judgment with salvation and in that order. So no, I do not think there is any way to bring our country from where it is to become a Christian Nation in a top-down manner. But I think rather it has to be a bottom-up manner when the rank-and-file Christians who need to be the majority want Godly rule and are willing to vote and work and suffer for it.
Ok, who would decide this new "constitution"? Would Lutheran's be invited, Baptists? Which section of the "Reformed" world would be illegal?

Ok, I see more where you’re coming from now. I think maybe one problem is in not seeing a distinction: you’re assuming there are some who “want massive changes to our country” and who (you think, at least?) are wanting to get to work to implement those changes; but all I’ve seen on the thread(s) are those who hold doctrinally to the establishment principle as good and believe the magistrate has a duty to uphold the first table. Has anyone on these threads said they want to, or believe there’s a way to, bring about massive changes toward a church establishment or the magistrate upholding the first table? I haven’t seen that from anyone, unless I missed it.

I believe church establishments are biblical and desirable, but I don’t think we are to think in terms of a practical plan to bring one about. I think Scripture does tell us important things the church and its members as private persons should be doing to promote Christ and godliness. Some good thoughts have been expressed already in these threads. I think number one is that the church should be praying corporately and earnestly for God’s kingdom to come and his will to be done on earth as it is in heaven; and praying for kings and all in authority, specifically that they’ll rule in such a way

“that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”

But I’m afraid the majority of churches in the U.S. don’t really pray like this. The majority of churches and their members ignore and desecrate the Sabbath. And so on.

So if God brings about any future godly establishments of the church anywhere in the world- who knows, who can say what foment and trouble may or may not accompany. Read the book of Revelation. It seems that the nations rage against the LORD and against his anointed Son, and will until the end.
Well prayer is practical.

I have hope that the church will remember and learn from any past mistakes. It’s providential and great that we have all this history preserved for us. It’s the main reason I’m trying to collect books for our church.
Fair enough.

Learn what? Without a practical blueprint, we won't.

Not sure what you mean here? Specific examples of what? Considering I didn't live than Specific is pretty relative.
All I am asking is what particular historic events you are referring to. Without specifics, we are grasping at vapours. We cannot make conclusions about history if we have not in the first place nailed down the history we are supposed to be discussing. You have written about the badness of all the bloodshed and war, of some unspecified time period not being a "golden age". You have made brief mention of a so-far unnamed German persecution, which Luther may or may not have written about, and of uncertain events taking place in England and other parts of Europe.

How did you come to your conclusions? "Show your work," as a mathematics teacher might say.

Some ideas:
Persecution of the Anabaptists?
The French Wars of Religion?
The Wars of the Three Kingdoms?
The Eighty Years' War?
The Thirty Years' War?
The government of Geneva?

Ok, who would decide this new "constitution"? Would Lutheran's be invited, Baptists? Which section of the "Reformed" world would be illegal?
I’ve seen some good thinking on this somewhere- maybe older PB posts? It would make sense that a unified visible church in a nation would have a strong unifying confession. Again, the hope is that the church learns from history and avoids any sinful persecution. There are alternatives possible to the sort of black and white way you’re (I think) thinking about it.

Learn what? Without a practical blueprint, we won't.
Practical blueprints have many times been hammered out by the church in times of need . Most recently, what happened at Westminster was a practical blueprint for going forward. They had the wisdom for that blueprint because of their understanding of church history and what had happened with Rome.

The result was also completely unexpected. There was really no hope that the Scottish and English representatives could agree to the extent they did. They were just hoping they could find some agreement somewhere. They gave the glory to God for it. Sure, fallible men stumbled with it afterward but there our confession stands, and is still the touchstone of the Reformed churches, though many are reformed in name only.

So there would likely be church councils called for and protected by the magistrate, just as there have been since the end of the apostolic age. And they would hammer things out with the wisdom of hindsight aiding them.

I’ve seen some good thinking on this somewhere- maybe older PB posts? It would make sense that a unified visible church in a nation would have a strong unifying confession. Again, the hope is that the church learns from history and avoids any sinful persecution. There are alternatives possible to the sort of black and white way you’re (I think) thinking about it.
Along similar lines, the hope would not only be for a 'strong unifying confession', but also a strong and truly unified Church. As one who is a credobaptist, but in full agreement with the original standards position on the state, our congregation regularly prays that the Lord might bring the Church into unity again ('one Lord, one faith, one baptism') - and not by compromise, but true conviction from the Spirit.

Countries that wantonly disregard the first table of the law do not exactly have a good history. Two can play this game. How many people died in Soviet Russia, Maoist China, Nazi Germany, or even in Britain and the USA as a result of abortion? Also, how many have died in providential judgments which were partly the result of gross first table violations?

Last edited:

I don't know.
I guess you're not too hot on the establishment principle. Let me ask you. How are we doing without it?

Last edited:

No doubt it would look different in different types of nations, with different forms of governments. In the Constantinian Roman Empire, the emperor can make a declaration. In the United States such issues would be decided by the people through their representatives. We do not have a dictator and it isn't essential to have one for the establishment principle to work. Many of the colonies and States early on had established churches.

Your question about which segments of the Reformed world would be illegal perhaps betrays an unnecessary assumption. It is not essential for the concept of an established church that all dissenters but criminalized. A national church can be recognized and supported by the civil powers without persecuting those who remain out of it. What to do with dissenters and whether or not to penalize them is a political question. No doubt this would look different depending on the light and maturity a nation has and the peaceable or non-peaceable conduct of the dissenters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back