Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Does anyone else fish?

I'm making plans to take our family fishing on the Chesapeake Bay this summer.

fishing.gif

I am a kean fly fisherman. But I am in South Africa so I doubt I will be able to give too much help.

Enjoy it though!

I go ocean fishing for Cod, snapper in oregon (few times a year). And Salmon fishing during open season. I have also enjoyed diving for abalone a few times and spear fishing (not too successful at it... but fun).

I love to fish. Of course around here there is a lot of saltwater fishing. I, too, am a flyfisher.

Awesome pic, Blade!

I had dreams once of fishing as a career in the North Atlantic. Then I saw The Perfect Storm! (kidding, sort of!)

Fishing is one of the most pleasurable activities in the world, I think. Provided the weather is good and your name isn't Ahab! ;)

Avid trout fisherman. I love traversing the streams of N. Ga. for trout.

They are putting a 500 acre lake in by (80 yards) my house and they are stocking that thang with all kinds of fish (large and small mouth, crappy, catfish, probably even some trout). It isn't going to be completed until 2009 but I'm building me an outdoor grill big enough for the Leviathon!!!!

Last time I was out Deep Seaing it, I fed the fish (if you know what I mean). I took dope-a-mean the night before and that morning. We charted a big boat. It could easily hold 30 men in the cabin but we had 10 foot swells from a storm in the gulf. The Cap'n was 60 something and said that he has been out 50 years and has never gone out as far as we had to b/c of the storm. There were times when the middle of the boat was out of the water b/c the front and back of the boat were on the waves.

I went up to the front of the boat to do the "king of the world" thing and got my bones drenched by a huge wave. My backside was wet b/c it just engulfed me. Thankfully I was hanging on to the rail otherwise I would have known what Jonah felt like.

We had a pilot that went with who had a stomach of steel. He was in the cabin, sitting with his back against the direction we were going, eating pork rinds and drinking Yoohoos.

And, of course, about 5 minutes after we turn back the waves calm almost completely. Too little too late. The stomach had already been emptied and all you can do is put yer head in the curve of yer arm and lay it down on the table in the cabin. Heaven forbid you lift your head up again b/c it ain't fun!

:barfy:

I was and still am to an extent terrified of sharks. I liked fishing and used to really enjoy going out on the boats to fish during one of my summer holidays. Unfortunatly the first thing I pulled up was a shark. I still like fishing but I do not really want to be so close to the water ever again unless I can see clearly what is beneath.

Fish \'n\' chips

When Wales won the six Nations cup this year I went home for a week, guess what my first munch was? Yes, fish and chips, you just cannot get quality food like that in France :) Praise God for the Cod!

(David, are you in France? If so, ever get a chance to catch Bireli Legrene and the Gipsy Project?)

I fish for Largemouth Bass, and was officially converted to plastic worms last weekend-- man they were bitin! I also take my little girls shoreline sunny fishing- just put a piece of corn on the end of a hook and you can catch about one fish every 2 minutes- great fun.

Jazz...

Originally posted by Rick Larson
(David, are you in France? If so, ever get a chance to catch Bireli Legrene and the Gipsy Project?)

I think from a quick Google search that's a Jazz thing! Not into Jazz that much but I recommend the Brecon Jazz festival in mid Wales, happens around the end of July and the start of August, it's not Christian but a lot better than 'Rock' stuff because it has a sort of culture to it that is not bent on destruction.

Sometimes I walk around the Grotte in Lourdes when it's real busy, tens of thousands of RC people, not many Christians :) but what a place to fish :) Just ordered a T-shirt from the apuritanmind site 'STARK RAVING MAD' I think if I went in there handing out tracts I would be arrested within 10 minutes such is the devil's hold on that place.

Handing out tracts and witnessing is what I will be doing soon, it's the only reason why I am here I think. I came here to enjoy the outdoor stuff and then found out about Lourdes.

Breaks your heart too, lots of severly handicapped children are brought here, I weep all the time when I see it, I take my hat off to the RC community who look after them, but the leaders need a boot up the backside, a case of 'blind leading the blind' if ever I saw it.

Originally posted by just_grace

I think from a quick Google search that's a Jazz thing! Not into Jazz that much but I recommend the Brecon Jazz festival in mid Wales, happens around the end of July and the start of August, it's not Christian but a lot better than 'Rock' stuff because it has a sort of culture to it that is not bent on destruction.

It's not your typical jazz. It's guitar-based, Django-style (see avatar). I think you'de really enjoy it, if you're into amazing guitar playing. (I think he's probably the best guitar player in the world today, in my opinion) I do have a DVD of Bireli playing in Vienne and the crowd seemed pretty well-behaved.

Here's his schedule: http://www.lagrene.com/tourdates.htm

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Rick Larson]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Awesome! Where do you go fishing?

Well, I mostly just freshwater (bass) fish now.
Lake Travis, Lake Batrop, Fayette County Lake, and some smaller lakes. THere is a 9#er from a smaller lake, and a couple of 8s from Fayette County.

Most of my saltwater fishing has been near Galveston, including much offshore fishing. One set of those pictures was from port Aransas, near Corpus Christi (the city, not the real thing. ;) )

the best part of fishing is drinking beer, reading a book, taking a nap while the bobber sits in the water...

Originally posted by raderag
Lake Travis, Lake Batrop, Fayette County Lake, and some smaller lakes. THere is a 9#er from a smaller lake, and a couple of 8s from Fayette County.

Most of my saltwater fishing has been near Galveston, including much offshore fishing. One set of those pictures was from port Aransas, near Corpus Christi (the city, not the real thing. ;) )

Sounds great! When I lived in Texas I lived right by Lake Ray Hubbard. But I never got to fish there. I also honeymooned in Galveston, but again no fishing there. My experience has mostly been around the Chesapeake Bay and off the Outer Banks. I would love to go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico someday.

Originally posted by raderag

Sounds great! When I lived in Texas I lived right by Lake Ray Hubbard. But I never got to fish there. I also honeymooned in Galveston, but again no fishing there. My experience has mostly been around the Chesapeake Bay and off the Outer Banks. I would love to go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico someday.

The gulf is great, but you have to go pretty far out in Texas to get to the deap sea fishing. I used to live in Dickinson (20 miles from Galvestion), and have a 20' boat. I did alot of saltwater fishing back in those days. Now I have 12' johnboat nad a 5.5 hp moter, and live in Austin.

Does anyone else fish?

I'm making plans to take our family fishing on the Chesapeake Bay this summer.

fishing.gif

I come from a family of walleye fishermen.

Who else fishes for Largemouth Bass around here? I've really gotten into lately, ever since my friend Steve introduced me to the effectiveness of plastic worms about a month ago. Their favorite flavor seems to be motor oil, but last Friday they were hitting everything in the box!

Andrew - I would love to fish on the Bay, but unfortunately my last few weeks here are going to be very busy.

I hope you have a blast!

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Andrew - I would love to fish on the Bay, but unfortunately my last few weeks here are going to be very busy.

I hope you have a blast!

Thanks, man! I hope all is going well at Walter Reed.

We haven't made it out to the Bay yet but we want to do so before the summer is over.

You might be interested to check out this fishing report. It mentions a charity fishing trip for soldiers at Walter Reed and their families.

Also, there are charter trips available through Walter Reed.

Cheers, and God bless!

Originally posted by just_grace
When Wales won the six Nations cup this year I went home for a week, guess what my first munch was? Yes, fish and chips, you just cannot get quality food like that in France :) Praise God for the Cod!

:ditto: Ah, yes, a double portion of chips with some good cod or chicken portion. How I do miss them all! Let someone else catch them and I will eat them :lol::banana::banana:

P.S. you can tell from my post that I am mostly interested in the chips!

If anyone wants to meet me for lunch I fish the mississippi river right near the University of Minnesota campus over the lunch hour and do pretty well with smallies....

we could do some fishing and then go fishing for men!!! (Godless university, you know...)

R

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Who else fishes for Largemouth Bass around here? I'voe really gotten into lately, evoer since my friend Stevoe introduced me to the effectivoeness of plastic worms about a month ago. Their favorite flavor seems to be motor oil, but last Friday they were hitting evoerything in the box!

I only use the plastic worm. I like fishing old stripper pits around here. Just keep looking for the right color and you will end up catching them. I start off with black in the early spring and movoe to chartreuse. Lay low in the Summer and then wait for deer season.

I also love Canadian fishing for Northern and Walleye Pike. We have Walleye around here in the lake I havoe pictured in the picture forum. But I would rather catch Croppie out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back