Flags in the sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by victorbravo
Originally posted by rgrove
I've never been happy about it, but it seems to be the norm in Baptist churches unfortunately. In fact, the first time I visited a Baptist church with my wife (in the days before she was my wife) I complained about it. Didn't think it was appropriate then and still don't.

Interesting, Ron, two Reformed Baptist churches I know of in the Seattle-Tacoma area don't have them. They don't have anything but a pulpit.

I don't like flags at a worship meeting either.

Vic

Vic do you Tony Paz?

One could be like one of the churches that has like several 6'x'9' American flags dangling around the pulpit and the choir room... a giant God Bless America banner hanging from the ceiling, and a Pray for our President banner, and perhaps a giant picture of the last or presently sitting Republican President nudged up against the stained glass of Jesus.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
One could be like one of the churches that has like several 6'x'9' American flags dangling around the pulpit and the choir room... a giant God Bless America banner hanging from the ceiling, and a Pray for our President banner, and perhaps a giant picture of the last or presently sitting Republican President nudged up against the stained glass of Jesus.

:barfy: and :barfy: again...

I wonder if the "Three-Self Patriotic Movement" churches all obsequiously display the Red China banner?

When the Army-of-One Patriotic Movement stops by to see that your church has its loyalty symbol properly displayed,... if your church "already has one," will you promptly remove it?

I like the Covenanter banner, but I wouldn't put it up in the Auditorium.

One should see what Nazi Germany blasphemously did to Christian pulpits in the official state church -- while all other faithful churches were suppressed and persecuted. One can respect Caesar without blasphemously marrying Caesar's creed to that of Christ's church and without espousing a belicose nationalist ideology in place of the Gospel.Christian Persecution in Nazi Germany

Larry was correct in saying the difference is that pews are a help to the preformance of the elements. and Crosses should not be allowed.

Psa 60:4 You have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may flee to it from the bow. Selah ESV

Psa 60:4 Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. KJV

Various readings of one passage. I have no problem with a banner in the front of a Sanctuary that reads, "For Christ's Crown and Covenant."

Psa 60:4 You have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may flee to it from the bow. Selah ESV
This Psalm is regarding the earthly nation of Israel and its people. It speaks of God leading the armies of Israel. It is not in reference to the worship of God in the temple. I don't think that when we read the whole of Psalm 60 we come away with the idea of using banners in the worship of God.

If we set up a banner for the Lord, let's set up a banner of love...

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. (Son 2:4, ESV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back