Folk Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

openairboy

Puritan Board Freshman
Any folk fans out there? One artist I enjoy is Richard Berman. Long story short, I mentioned his name to a Sanctuary Concerts and they contacted him. He in turn sent me a nice email, thanking me for the interest in his music. I thought that was pretty cool.

If you enjoy folk, give him a listen.

Any artists you recommend?

openairoby

The Richard Berman linked didn't work for me, so I can't comment on him.

As far as folk music, I've always enjoyed the classics- Peter, Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Gordan Lightfoot, Cat Stevens.... but my all-time favorite "folk" artist is Joni Mitchell, of course, she didn't stay folk for very long!

Originally posted by Rick Larson
The Richard Berman linked didn't work for me, so I can't comment on him.

As far as folk music, I've always enjoyed the classics- Peter, Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Gordan Lightfoot, Cat Stevens.... but my all-time favorite "folk" artist is Joni Mitchell, of course, she didn't stay folk for very long!

Huh? The link should work.

Yes, I enjoy the aforementioned artist, and really enjoy Joni Mitchell ("Ladies of the Canyon" is a great albmum).

openairboy

Richard Berman's sound kind of reminds me of Tom Paxton. Folk is my absolute, unmatched favorite in music. :ditto: on Dylan, Lightfoot and Stevens. Some of my favorites also include Harry Chapin, Paul Simon, America, James Taylor, Derek Webb and some more classic rock artists like Beatles, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty.

And I think any lovers of folk would appreciate the music of my favorite singer-songwriter, Steven Delopoulos. You can hear his music at his home page and his MySpace.

Iris DeMent...

A woman who has done some nice music...

Listening now :)

Last night before I went to sleep my knees dropped to the floor
I turned me eyes up to the sky and I prayed "Please help me, Lord,
you know I've sowed my wild oats and now the fun's all gone"
and then I heard these tender words
and I put them in my song:

"Infamous Angel come on home
to someone who loves you and knows you needed to roam
Grab your things, a ticket's waiting at the bus depot
for: Infamous Angel, Destination: Home"

I heard heaven's choir rejoicing as the tears broke from my eyes
and all at once it lifted the weight from my past life
I found a pen and I left a note on the dresser drawer
"Infamous Angel, she don't live here anymore"

Infamous Angel come on home
to someone who loves you and knows you needed to roam
Grab your things, a ticket's waiting at the bus depot
for: Infamous Angel, Destination: Home

Then I hurried out the back door as quickly as I could
I went flying down two flights of stairs 'til on the street I stood
and there I took that final look at my old neighbourhood
Then I ran down the street proclaiming "Angel gone for good"

Infamous Angel going home
to someone who loves her and knows she needed to roam
She grabbed her things and claimed the ticket at the bus depot
for: Infamous Angel, Destination: Home
Infamous Angel, Destination: Home

[Edited on 7-29-2005 by just_grace]

I just learned to play "Sunrise, Sunset" instrumentally, and I learned Bread's "If", and I learned Willy Nelson's "On The Road Again." And, oh yes, I learned to do "Lying Eyes". I'm into older stuff, things I couldn't do before. I just don't have access to a lot of the newer stuff, since I don't buy CD's very much. When I listen to the radio, its usually a news station or an oldies folk or country station. But I did pick up on "I Don't Want to Live On the Moon".

I really like the folk-style of guitar playing. So now I can do a bit of three different styles: Classical, Country/Bluegrass, and folk. Now all I need to learn is to play well.

Originally posted by JohnV
I just learned to play "Sunrise, Sunset" instrumentally, and I learned Bread's "If", and I learned Willy Nelson's "On The Road Again." And, oh yes, I learned to do "Lying Eyes". I'm into older stuff, things I couldn't do before. I just don't have access to a lot of the newer stuff, since I don't buy CD's very much. When I listen to the radio, its usually a news station or an oldies folk or country station. But I did pick up on "I Don't Want to Live On the Moon".

I really like the folk-style of guitar playing. So now I can do a bit of three different styles: Classical, Country/Bluegrass, and folk. Now all I need to learn is to play well.

I would love to hear you play sometime, John! :)

If you like folk music, you will enjoy Don Francisco. He sings Christian music in a folk style. He is not always as reformed as I would like, but it is better than 99% of the Christian music out there.

Long time no see, Lance. Nice to hear (read) from you. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll look it up.

Andrew, you said that before, but I don't see you lining up to buy tickets. You're not buying my CD album either. Wait a minute, I don't do concerts and I don't have a CD. Still though, that's no excuse.

Actually, you don't want to hear it. I've got a four-track recorder, and believe me, I stink. I can't keep time from one track to the other. I've always just kept up with my foot's tapping, which was keeping time with my right hand strumming, which was keeping time with who knows what. But all the same, you know I would love nothing more than to sit with my fellow Boarders and sing songs with them. Of course it will be Psalms.

Originally posted by JohnV
Long time no see, Lance. Nice to hear (read) from you. Thanks for the recommendation; I'll look it up.

Andrew, you said that before, but I don't see you lining up to buy tickets. You're not buying my CD album either. Wait a minute, I don't do concerts and I don't have a CD. Still though, that's no excuse.

Actually, you don't want to hear it. I've got a four-track recorder, and believe me, I stink. I can't keep time from one track to the other. I've always just kept up with my foot's tapping, which was keeping time with my right hand strumming, which was keeping time with who knows what. But all the same, you know I would love nothing more than to sit with my fellow Boarders and sing songs with them. Of course it will be Psalms.

I checked Ticketmaster but I didn't see JohnV listed. But if you ever do go on tour -- or just want to have a PB campfire sing-along (psalms and/or otherwise) -- let me know and count me in!

Originally posted by lkjohnson
If you like folk music, you will enjoy Don Francisco. He sings Christian music in a folk style. He is not always as reformed as I would like, but it is better than 99% of the Christian music out there.

I completely agree. He tells a good story. He reminds me of Harry Chapin.

openairboy

Blackmore's Night

I don't know if this is considered to be folk or not but it is usually found in the folk section. It's the latest project from Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple. Candice Night does most of the singing. Their songs all have a renaissance theme.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back