Follow-up to inquiry about the value of Beeke's Reformed Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
In March of this year I posted an inquiry as to the value-addedness of acquiring Beeke's Reformed Systematic Theology despite having lots of other systematic theology texts. It has been about 5 months and I wanted to post a follow-up, but found my original thread closed, so I'm posting this here (if an admin wants to merge the two, that's totally fine by me, and might actually be helpful for others):

Based upon the feedback I received, I went ahead and acquired it. I absolutely LOVE it. It has become my favorite systematic theology text. I love how his warm experiential Calvinism comes through on nearly every page and the practical effects of the Puritan influence on him are obvious. The work is wonderfully comprehensive yet accessible, his treatment of the subjects is thorough without being exhausting, he introduces his readers to advanced concepts and language yet he provides helpful explanation of those terms and phrases, he interacts with enough scholarly work in his footnotes to provide an adequate starting point for in-depth academic study... and all of this with a definite bent towards worship and adoration. It's fantastic! I'm not sure I'll ever need to pull Berkhof off the shelf again!

I'm actually going to start a class at my church this Fall this this text as our guide. So helpful!

Thanks for the review, I have yet to dive into my copy - though it is rising up in the queue. I was also hoping for a warm devotional quality to it, so I am very glad to hear it.

Berkhof is handy when you want a fairly good overview of a topic in a fairly concise manner that is still "deep" and doesn't water down a topic.

I agree with your strengths of Beeke. But one thing his work isn't is "concise." You can't do everything though and what he sets out to do, he does well and its a valuable contribution to systematics that fills an important gap. I hope it filters down through more pastors like yourself to lay people.

I also value Beeke's ST for the warm, devotional tone. (I still have a long way to go. Only 3/4 of the way through volume 1.)

Related to this- I'm hoping to pick up Van Mastricht soon. For anyone who's read much of PVM's ST, would you say it's similar to Beeke's in this manner? Would you lump Beeke, Van Mastricht, and a Brakel together?

Related to this- I'm hoping to pick up Van Mastricht soon. For anyone who's read much of PVM's ST, would you say it's similar to Beeke's in this manner? Would you lump Beeke, Van Mastricht, and a Brakel together?

No, Van Mastricht is very different and there really isn't any ST I know of to compare him with. I would say his practicality is more on the "logical" side than "warm and devotional." I don't know what it is about his approach but he very much to speaks to how I think. My big 3 STs are Van Mastricht, Bavinck, and Turretin because they are great thinkers who all have very different gifts and approaches to offer.

Thanks, it is on my list to buy from our bookroom, and now I am sure it is the right choice. I have a PDF version of Berkhof, but I will also appreciate something more "warm and devotional" as you have all pointed out.

Great way to summarize what I've found so valuable in it. I'm nearing the completion of Volume 3. I am looking forward to Volume 4 when it comes out.
The thing I especially appreciate about Volume 2 is that he structures it according to the offices of Christ's Mediation. I have always found theology most tangible when it is connected to Christ and find much theology to be poorly apprehended when it is dislocated from Him Who grants us fruition in the things of God. If we contemplate any theology outside of Christ, our Head, it is not true theology.

Last edited:
You brothers make it so hard to pick one set to buy!

In March of this year I posted an inquiry as to the value-addedness of acquiring Beeke's Reformed Systematic Theology despite having lots of other systematic theology texts. It has been about 5 months and I wanted to post a follow-up, but found my original thread closed, so I'm posting this here (if an admin wants to merge the two, that's totally fine by me, and might actually be helpful for others):

Based upon the feedback I received, I went ahead and acquired it. I absolutely LOVE it. It has become my favorite systematic theology text. I love how his warm experiential Calvinism comes through on nearly every page and the practical effects of the Puritan influence on him are obvious. The work is wonderfully comprehensive yet accessible, his treatment of the subjects is thorough without being exhausting, he introduces his readers to advanced concepts and language yet he provides helpful explanation of those terms and phrases, he interacts with enough scholarly work in his footnotes to provide an adequate starting point for in-depth academic study... and all of this with a definite bent towards worship and adoration. It's fantastic! I'm not sure I'll ever need to pull Berkhof off the shelf again!

I'm actually going to start a class at my church this Fall this this text as our guide. So helpful!
Just so you know, I bought 3 volumes yesterday because of you...

Excellent! I have been considering making the purchase for a while. I think I may go ahead now.

No, Van Mastricht is very different and there really isn't any ST I know of to compare him with. I would say his practicality is more on the "logical" side than "warm and devotional." I don't know what it is about his approach but he very much to speaks to how I think. My big 3 STs are Van Mastricht, Bavinck, and Turretin because they are great thinkers who all have very different gifts and approaches to offer.
How many volumes will Van Mastricht be, I think I heard 7 somewhere? And is there a date for expected completion? @Regi Addictissimus

Pastor Ben, until now I don't think you've ever gushed about anything here. I’ll have to get around to it.

It's on my wishlist but (to her praise) my wife keeps my book purchases constrained. I did find some of his seminary classes on YouTube which my whole family has been enjoying as part of our family worship.

I absolutely love Beeke/Smalley's ST. I have used volumes 1 & 2 extensively in my adult sunday school class.

One thing that makes it especially useable for me, is that you can purchase the PDF format as well for not too much money. I have both the books and PDFs for volumes 1 & 2. Highly recommended. Can't wait to start on volume 3.

I absolutely love Beeke/Smalley's ST. I have used volumes 1 & 2 extensively in my adult sunday school class.

One thing that makes it especially useable for me, is that you can purchase the PDF format as well for not too much money. I have both the books and PDFs for volumes 1 & 2. Highly recommended. Can't wait to start on volume 3.
Where did you get the PDFs?

If you go to the Crossway website, the Beeke/Smalley ST, it will give you the option to download as an ebook. One of the options to download as an ebook is PDF. I can't remember the others.

The ebook is $40. If you are a Crossway member (it takes less than 5 minutes to sign up), you get 50% off all ebooks. In PDF I can run off certain pages if need be, or read on my computer. So I paid $20 each for the PDF versions, and I consider it money well spent.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes open for Crossway deals. I had already purchased the 3 Volume ST on Logos as I prefer my books there. I listen to books because of my poor eyesight and I have to create a document 100 pages at a time from Logos export. It's worth it in the end as I can listen to a 1000 page Word Doc on my phone over a period of week.

Late last year, however, Crossway was selling a bunch of its eBooks for $5 each. Even though I already owned the 3 volumes on Logos, I picked them all up at Crossway for $5 since it saves me the trouble of exporting them to listen to them.

Keep your eyes open for Crossway deals. I had already purchased the 3 Volume ST on Logos as I prefer my books there. I listen to books because of my poor eyesight and I have to create a document 100 pages at a time from Logos export. It's worth it in the end as I can listen to a 1000 page Word Doc on my phone over a period of week.

Late last year, however, Crossway was selling a bunch of its eBooks for $5 each. Even though I already owned the 3 volumes on Logos, I picked them all up at Crossway for $5 since it saves me the trouble of exporting them to listen to them.
It must be wonderful for you as a blind man to be able to "read" without having to learn Braille.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back