Foote On "Those Who Are Not Against Us Are For Us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
These comments are from the Rev. James Foote in "Lectures on the Gospel According to Luke", Vol I, pg. 579, concerning Jesus' statement in Luke 9:50: "For he that is not against us is for us."

I think they are important words for us here at PB as well as out in the world.

It is of great importance, too, for real Christians to act on the principle that “those who are not against us are for us.” We should always cheerfully acknowledge, and prudently avail ourselves of, whatever, in others, is favourable to the truth, even though they may not be so far advanced as is to be wished; and we should remember that it is foolish in itself, and hurtful to religion, to drive away from us, and to irritate into open, direct, and declared opposition, those who may be, in so far, promising well. Besides, if it be so that certain persons are very deficient in light and consistency, what do reason and Scripture prescribe as the likely way to gain them entirely over? Not surely to disown them, and to attack them without discrimination, and without mercy; but to deal kindly with them, to lay hold on whatever is right in their views, and to take whatever just principles they acknowledge in common with ourselves, as a groundwork for further calm discussion, and as the means of leading them on to renounce whatever is wrong, and to supply whatever is deficient in their views and conduct. In like manner, for the general prosperity of the Church, it is certainly of great importance that all good men, without giving up any thing they deliberately consider to be scriptural, or sacrificing their consistency, should unite in forwarding objects in which they are agreed.

how do you determine who is not against us? should we assume this is a christian context?

Here is the context:

46 ¶ Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest. *47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him, *48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great. *49 ¶ And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. *50And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

The apostles are already fighting over which one of them shall be the greatest in the Kingdom. This exorcist is doing miracles in Christ's name which even the apostles had trouble doing back in vs. 40 for lack of faith. The miracles that this exorcist is doing are themselves proof that the man has both the necessary authority and faith to work on the Kingdom's behalf. (In Acts 19 some exorcists tried to cast out demons in the name of Christ and failed,, thus proving they did not have the proper authority or faith to do so.

I think the point Jesus is making is that if a man is doing effective work in Christ's name, his works are in and of themselves proof that he has the proper authority and faith to do so regardless whether he conforms to our standards. That man should, therefore, be thought of as an ally and not an enemy. Allies are treated differently than enemies.

Foote On "Consider What Manner Of Spirit You Are Of"

Foote on Luke 9:51-56:

In all we do, and especially in what we do under the name of religion, let us carefully consider what manner of spirit we are of. There are some who seem to think that, provided there be some truth on their own side, and something wrong on the other, little caution is required as to the keenness they display, and the means of attack they employ; and hence, though they evidently become a prey to prejudice and passion, and get so excited as to be incapable of forming a deliberate and impartial judgment of several of the points in dispute, and set no bounds to their violence, they pretend to despise the remark, that they are proceeding in a very bad spirit. But how can any Christian consistently disregard this, or object to the caution, when Jesus Christ himself here virtually calls to us all to consider and know what manner of spirit we are of? Vol I, Pg. 591

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back