For my fellow Patristic readers, Logos is having a super sale—$ 9.99 per volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first purchase in this sale was Theodoret of Cyrus's commentary on the Psalms.

I am considering Cassiodorus's commentary on the Psalms. This study looks interesting on Cassiodorus: https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Souls-Cassiodorus-Interpretation-Psalms-ebook/dp/B07B6QH123

I have also had my eye on this title for some time:
https://www.logos.com/product/15714...lies-conversion-in-fifth-century-north-africa

This title also looks interesting:
https://www.logos.com/product/157103/isidore-of-seville-de-ecclesiasticis-officiis

Last edited:
@DTK Any suggestions from the linked sale?
I have 55-60 or more volumes of The Fathers of the Church series on my shelves or in .pdf format that I downloaded for free at the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/advancedsearch.php), and I recommend these ONLY for those who are going to read them, and read them critically. They can be very helpful from a historical/theological level. If one is not prepared to engage in serious reading, then I do not recommend purchasing them. But if one is prepared to read them critically with the intent to engage Roman and Eastern Orthodox apologists, then one must read broadly and extensively.

I am not as familiar with Quodvultdeus of Carthage as I ought to be, but having read both volumes of Fulgentius in the above series (vols. 95 and 126), I would recommend them because of my personal bias for Augustinian perspectives on grace, especially volume 126 which deals with "Fulgentius and the Scythian Monks." The two men who did the translation work for vol. 126 are professors from Reformed seminaries. That's very interesting since this series is published by the The Catholic University of America Press. None of the later published volumes from this series will be available for free at the Internet Archive mentioned above.

In the same line of study, anything by Prosper of Aquitaine you will find Augustinian in nature. But one must read the eastern fathers as well, who were very diverse from Augustine. Cyril of Alexander is very Christ centered in his whole theological perspective, sometimes to a fault with his highly spiritual exegesis.

For one of your first volumes, choose Basil of Caesarea's Against Eunomius (vol. 122) from this series. The three volumes of John Chrysostom's sermons on Genesis from this series (Vols. 74, 82, 87) are very interesting. My volumes from him on Genesis are all marked up with highlights and notations.

I have volumes also (not nearly as many) from the Ancient Christian Writers series, such as No. 32 which is Prosper of Aquitaine: Defense of Augustine.

In short, before I would buy anything from the Fathers of the Church series, particularly the earliest volumes through volume 46, the latter of which is a great many homilies by Basil of Caesarea (well worth the read I might add), check for them on the Internet Archive site mentioned above.

Also, Holy Orthodox Press has published 2 volumes by John Chrysostom on the Psalms, as well as some lesser known works by him, and 3 volumes (unfinished) commentary on Isaiah that Cyril of Alexandria wrote. The only reason why his entire commentary on Isaiah was not published is due to the fact that the translator engaged in that work died before he could complete his translation.

These are a few of my initial and scattered thoughts in response to your query. Feel free to weigh them in the light of your own critical thought.

Last edited:
This is quoted a lot and Epiphanius is a key witness in early church history.
https://www.logos.com/product/169397/ancoratus

Ancoratus caught my attention. It looks like an important work on early Christology.

I have a particular interest in Maximus. The introduction seems it would be worth the price. Thank you.

Last edited:
Ancoratus caught my attention. It looks like a critical work on early Christology.
I have this work by Epiphanius, as well as his much larger work on The Panarion (two volumes published by Brill).

Epiphanius was orthodox, but not the most profound thinker of his day. He was, to be sure, regarded as orthodox in his views, but strikes me as maintaining a very high view of his own theological perspectives. He did have the nasty habit of sticking his nose in the affairs of other bishops. Below are a few citations from his Ancoratus.

Epiphanius of Salamis (310/320-403): Search the divine Scriptures, and learn the power of the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit himself, the one who knows the Father and the Son, will reveal to you the knowledge of the Logos, the Son of God, in order that you might not be led astray from the truth and destroy your soul. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 128, St. Epiphanius of Cyprus, Ancoratus, trans. Young Richard Kim (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2014), p. 91.
Greek text: Ἐρεύνησον τὰς θείας Γραφὰς, καὶ μάθε τοῦ ἁγίου Πνεύματος τὴν δύναμιν, καὶ αὐτὸ τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ γινῶσκον τὸν πατέρα καὶ τὸν υἱὸν ἀποκαλύψει σοι τὴν τοῦ Λόγου τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ γνῶσιν, ἵνα μὴ πλανηθῇς τῆς ἀληθείας καὶ ἀπολέσῃς τὴν σεαυτοῦ ψυχήν. Ancoratus, §19, PG 43:52-53.

Epiphanius of Salamis (310/320-403): For God has come, and in all things the divine Scriptures explain to us. For nothing in them is obscure or complicated; “all things are open to those who understand and right to those who find knowledge.” Fathers of the Church, Vol. 128, St. Epiphanius of Cyprus, Ancoratus, trans. Young Richard Kim (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2014), p. 121.
Greek text: Ὁ θεὸς γὰρ ἦλθε, καὶ εἰς πάντα ἡμῖν σαφηνίζουσιν αἱ θεῖαι γραφαί. οὐδὲν γὰρ ἐν αὐταῖς ἐστὶ σκολιὸν ἢ στραγγαλιῶδες. Ancoratus, §41, PG 43:89.

I have 55-60 or more volumes of The Fathers of the Church series on my shelves or in .pdf format that I downloaded for free at the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/advancedsearch.php), and I recommend these ONLY for those who are going to read them, and read them critically. They can be very helpful from a historical/theological level. If one is not prepared to engage in serious reading, then I do not recommend purchasing them. But if one is prepared to read them critically with the intent to engage Roman and Eastern Orthodox apologists, then one must read broadly and extensively.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I have gained the impression through my years of reading the PB that you were well-read in the field of Patristics. As I have had a particular interest in this area and have considered pursuing studies in Patristics for some time, I much respect that.

I never thought of looking on Archive. I've acquired many PDF's in the FotC series through Scribd.

My initial draw to the Patristics was due to my interest in Historical Theology. I have always been fascinated by the development of doctrines, and the surrounding battles, throughout Church history. After reading Calvin extensively, I began to see its usefulness for engaging with Catholic and EO apologists.

I am not as familiar with Quodvultdeus of Carthage as I ought to be, but having read both volumes of Fulgentius in the above series (vols. 95 and 126), I would recommend them because of my personal bias for Augustinian perspectives on grace, especially volume 126 which deals with "Fulgentius and the Scythian Monks." The two men who did the translation work for vol. 126 are professors from Reformed seminaries. That's very interesting since this series is published by the The Catholic University of America Press. None of the later published volumes from this series will be available for free at the Internet Archive mentioned above.

Thank you for the recommendations.

It is encouraging to see Protestants doing work on the Patristics. A RE in my congregation, Dr. David Noe, recently finished a translation project on Chrysostom. I am looking forward to its release.

In the same line of study, anything by Prosper of Aquitaine you will find Augustinian in nature. But one must read the eastern fathers as well, who were very diverse from Augustine. Cyril of Alexander is very Christ centered in his whole theological perspective, sometimes to a fault with his highly spiritual exegesis.

Yes, I agree. I have read quite a bit by Cyril of Alexandria. His On the Unity of Christ and two-volume commentary on John I found particularly helpful. I am interested in his commentary on the Prophets. Have you read any of those volumes?

For one of your first volumes, choose Basil of Caesarea's Against Eunomius (vol. 122) from this series. The three volumes of John Chrysostom's sermons on Genesis from this series (Vols. 74, 82, 87) are very interesting. My volumes from him on Genesis are all marked up with highlights and notations.

I have read Basil's On the Holy Spirit (Popular Patristics & NPNF edition) and his works that are in the NPNF volumes. I have yet to read Against Eunomius.

I was interested in Chrysostom on Genesis but had some hesitations. One criticism I heard was that he was weak in Hebrew, and this was apparent in the Genesis volumes. If you think they are worthwhile, I will check them out.

A RE in my congregation, Dr. David Noe, recently finished a translation project on Chrysostom. I am looking forward to its release.
Do tell please, what work(s) by John Chrysostom???
I am interested in his commentary on the Prophets. Have you read any of those volumes?
Yes, I have read the three volumes of Cyril's commentary on Isaiah (unfinished by the translator who died before he could complete it), plus all three volumes on the minor prophets published in The Fathers of the Church series. Of all the patristics, Cyril of Alexandria focuses repeatedly on what we today would call the biblical doctrine of justification by faith and union with Christ. He is, in my opinion, unsurpassedin that particular emphasis. Here are some examples . . .

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Hosea 6:5-6: The prophetic authors said to him, “Show us your mercy, O Lord, and grant us your salvation, O Lord”; Christ is truly mercy from the Father, his purpose being to remove sins, to forgive faults, to justify by faith, to save the lost and make them proof against death. What excellent gifts, in fact, has he not given us? Therefore, knowledge of God is better than sacrifices and holocausts when achieved in Christ; it is through him and in him that we have come to know the Father, and are enriched with justification by faith. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 115, St Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 1, trans. Robert C. Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2007), pp. 142-143.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Joel 2:21-24: Now, it should be understood that the reality of the promise comes also in the form of sacramental fulfillment; the living water of holy baptism is given to us as rain, the bread of life as grain, and the blood as wine. Use of oil is also applied in bringing those justified in Christ to maturity through holy baptism. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 115, St Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 1, trans. Robert C. Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2007), p. 292.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Joel 2:32: There will therefore be without any doubt, he is saying, signs and portents in heaven and on earth regarding the Jews’ unholy actions. In this way there will be made available to them at least the effects of God’s clemency—namely, salvation through faith, justification in Christ, the pledge of the Spirit, sanctification, the hope of the kingdom of heaven, God’s ungrudging forgiveness of them even for the crimes against Christ. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 115, St Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 1, trans. Robert C. Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2007), p. 300.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Habakkuk 2:3-4: The one who overcomes lethargy and delay, on the other hand, and introduces into their mind and heart love and faith in him, enjoys a reward for such an attitude, namely, the special privilege of an uncurtailed life, rejection of sin, and sanctification through the Spirit. We have, in fact, been justified “not by works of the Law,” as Scripture says, but by faith in Christ; while “the Law brings wrath,” summoning transgressors to retribution, grace offsets wrath, undoing the offenses. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 116, St. Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 2, trans. Robert Charles Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2008), p. 350.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Habakkuk 2:8: But he himself [i.e., Satan] was also seized by the surviving peoples, that is, those justified by faith through Christ and sanctified by the Spirit. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 116, St. Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 2, trans. Robert Charles Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2008), p. 355.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Habakkuk 3:2: Now, the fact that we have been condemned to death for offending God, and in turn saved by being shown mercy, blessed David confirms by saying to the Creator of all things, “When you avert your face, they will be disturbed and return to their dust; when you send forth your Spirit, they will be created, and you will renew the face of the earth.” In other words, we suffered the aversion on account of the transgression by Adam, and returned to the dust from which we were made; but when in turn we were enriched with the divine Spirit in Christ and through Christ, we became sharers in his nature, according to the Scriptures, and we were restored to our original condition, and have been renewed and saved. What the divine Paul himself writes is in fact true: that everything “in Christ is a new creation; old things have passed away; lo, everything has become new.” So although we were disturbed from the beginning in suffering the effects of divine wrath, in the approach of the years when Christ was acknowledged and brought to light at the time determined of old, then he remembered mercy. We have been justified, in fact, not “by the works of the Law,” as Scripture says, nor “because of any works of righteousness that we have done, but according to his great mercy.” Fathers of the Church, Vol. 116, St. Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 2, trans. Robert Charles Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2008), p. 372.
Greek text: Ὅτι δὲ καταδεδικάσμεθα μὲν τῷ θανάτῳ προσκεκρουκότες Θεῷ, σεσώσμεθα δὲ πάλιν ἠλεημένοι, πιστώσεται λέγων ὁ μακάριος Δαβὶδ πρὸς τὸν τῶν ὅλων Δημιουργόν «Ἀποστρέψαντος δὲ σοῦ τὸ πρόσωπον ταραχθήσονται, καὶ εἰς τὸν χοῦν αὐτῶν ἐπιστρέψουσιν. ἐξαποστελεῖς τὸ Πνεῦμά σου καὶ κτισθήσονται, καὶ ἀνακαινιεῖς τὸ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς.» Πεπονθότες μὲν γὰρ τὴν ἀποστροφὴν διὰ τὴν ἐν Ἀδὰμ παράβασιν, ὑπεστρέψαμεν εἰς τὸν χοῦν ἐξ οὗπερ καὶ γεγόναμεν. Ἐπειδὴ δὲ πάλιν ἐν Χριστῷ καὶ διὰ Χριστοῦ τὸ θεῖον πεπλουτήκαμεν Πνεῦμα, τῆς αὐτοῦ φύσεως γεγονότες μέτοχοι, κατὰ τὰς Γραφὰς, ἀνεστοιχειώμεθα πρὸς τὸ ἐν ἀρχαῖς, καὶ κεκαινουργήμεθα καὶ σεσώσμεθα· καὶ γάρ ἐστιν ἀληθὲς, ὃ καὶ αὐτὸς ἡμῖν ὁ θεῖος γέγραφε Παῦλος, ὅτι «πάντα τὰ ἐν Χριστῷ καινὴ κτίσις·» καὶ «Τὰ ἀρχαῖα παρῆλθε, ἰδοὺ γέγονε τὰ πάντα καινά.» Οὐκοῦν τεταράγμεθα μὲν ἐξ ἀρχῆς, τὰ ἐκ τῆς θείας ἀνατλάντες ὀργῆς. Ἐπειδὴ δὲ ἐγγιζόντων τῶν ἐτῶν ἐπεγνώσθη Χριστὸς, ἀνεδείχθη δὲ κατὰ τοὺς πάλαι προωρισμένους καιροὺς, ἐμνήσθη λοιπὸν ἐλέους. Δεδικαιώμεθα γὰρ «οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων νόμου,» κατὰ τὰς γραφὰς, ἀλλʼ οὐδὲ «ἐξ ἔργων τῶν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ ἃ ἐποιήσαμεν ἡμεῖς, ἀλλὰ κατὰ τὸ πολὺ αὐτοῦ ἔλεος.» In Habacuc Prophetam Commentarius, Caput III, v. 2, §37, PG 71:901, 904.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Habakkuk 3:4: And the fact that he was destined to rescue us he demonstrates in advance by saying, He placed a powerful love of his strength; in other words, we have been saved, “not by works of righteousness that we ourselves performed,” not by achievements of the Law, since “the Law made nothing perfect,” but from the clemency of the God and Father, who for our sake placed a powerful—that is, strong and mighty—love of the Son. The God and Father, remember, “so loved the world as to give his only Son so that everyone believing in him might not perish but have eternal life.” It is therefore out of the love of the God and Father that we have been saved, as well as by the Son’s enduring death for us, even if he came to life again, canceling the control of corruption and removing sin from us; accordingly, he said, “No one has greater love than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” The love of the strength of the God and Father is strong, therefore, since through it we have been delivered from death, sin, and the oppression of the devil. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 116, St. Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 2, trans. Robert Charles Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2008), p. 377.
Greek text: Ὅτι δὲ ἔμελλεν ἀνασώζειν ἡμᾶς, προσαποδείκνυσι λέγων· «Ἔθετο ἀγάπησιν κραταιὰν ἰσχύος αὐτοῦ.» σεσώσμεθα γὰρ «οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων δικαιοσύνης, ἃ ἐποιήσαμεν ἡμεῖς,» οὐκ ἐξ αὐχημάτων νομικῶν· («Τετελείωκε γὰρ ὁ νόμος οὐδένα,» ) ἀλλʼ ἐξ ἡμερότητος τοῦ Θεοῦ καὶ Πατρὸς, κραταιὰν, τουτέστιν ἰσχυρὰν καὶ μεγάλην, θέντος τὴν ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν ἀγάπησιν τοῦ Υἱοῦ. «Οὕτω γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ Θεὸς καὶ Πατὴρ τὸν κόσμον, ὥστε τὸν Υἱὸν αὐτοῦ τὸν μονογενῆ δέδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ "πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται, ἀλλʼ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον.» Σεσώσμεθα δὴ οὖν ἐξ ἀγάπης τοῦ Θεοῦ καὶ Πατρὸς, καὶ μὴν καὶ αὐτοῦ τοῦ Υἱοῦ τὸν ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν ἀνατλάντος θάνατον, εἰ καὶ ἀνεβίω πάλιν, καταργήσας μὲν τὸ τῆς φθορᾶς κράτος, ἀποστήσας δὲ ἡμῶν τὴν ἁμαρτίαν. Τοιγάρτοι καὶ ἔφασκε «Μείζονα ταύτης ἀγάπην οὐδεὶς ἔχει, ἵνα τις τὴν ψυχὴν "αὐτοῦ θῇ ὑπὲρ τῶν φίλων αὐτοῦ.» Κραταιὰ τοιγαροῦν ἡ ἀγάπησις τῆς ἰσχύος τοῦ Θεοῦ καὶ Πατρὸς, διʼ ἧς καὶ θανάτου καὶ ἁμαρτίας καὶ τῆς τοῦ διαβόλου πλεονεξίας ἐξῃρήμεθα. In Habacuc Prophetam Commentarius, Caput III, vs. 4-5, §42, PG 71:909, 912.

Cyril of Alexandria (patriarch 412-444) commenting on Habakkuk 3:18-19: In this case, either the actual person of the prophet is clearly introduced in making this statement, or you could claim that the words come from those justified by faith, who find contentment in Christ, are glad in him, acknowledge him as the source of the strength abiding in them, and claim to be capable of everything through him, as of course the divinely inspired Paul also says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Fathers of the Church, Vol. 116, St. Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 2, trans. Robert Charles Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2008), p. 399.

I have yet to read Against Eunomius.
Here is what the editor of this work states: "One of Basil’s primary sources in Against Eunomius is scripture. His use of scripture includes explicit citations, verbal reminiscences, and allusions. Like most theologians of his era, Basil develops his doctrine of God by reflecting upon and interpreting scripture. For Basil, good theology consists in explicating what scripture reveals about God and standing in silent adoration before the mystery of what it does not reveal. Scripture not only reveals the content of theology, but also instructs the theologian in how language operates. Scripture dictates what the theologian can and cannot say. This is not to say that Basil did not approach the scriptures with metaphysical assumptions about God. He would have seen these assumptions confirmed by scripture. For Basil, scripture is the foundation and touchstone for all theology."

I was interested in Chrysostom on Genesis but had some hesitations. One criticism I heard was that he was weak in Hebrew, and this was apparent in the Genesis volumes. If you think they are worthwhile, I will check them out.
What I find interesting about these homilies on Genesisis is John Chrysostom emphasis on Scripture, the need to read Scripture and to teach from it. You see repeatedly throughout these volumes his emphasis on ἀκρίβεια (precision) in connection with Holy Scripture. This was one of Chrysostom’s favorite phrases, “the precision of Sacred Scripture.” For Chrysostom, precision is a distinctive feature of the biblical text. See, for example, FC, Vol. 82, Homilies on Genesis 18-45, 18.3, 9, 20; 20.5; 21.8, 11; 22.5, 6; 23.4, 8; 24.5; 25.10, 20; 26.15; 27.16, 17, 23; 29.22; 30.4; 31.18; 33.4; 35.4, 8, 9; 36.12; 38.6; 39.11; 43.3 (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1990), in which we find this phrase or its equivalent some 28 times: pp. 4, 9, 15, 38, 56, 59, 71, 90, 93, 107, 131, 139, 155, 173, 174, 179, 213, 222, 249, 278, 306, 309, 310, 334, 359, 381-382, 437; See also Vol. 74, Homilies on Genesis 1-17, Homily 7.9-10, 13.5, 13, 15.11 (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1986), pp. 96, 171, 175, 200; FC, Vol. 87, Homilies on Genesis 46-67, Homilies 49.3, 55..5 (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1992), pp. 43, 109. This is one of the features of his love for scripture that comes to the forefront in virtually all of his homilies. Please ask Dr. Noe what he thinks of that use of ἀκρίβεια by John Chrysostom.

It is true that John did not know Hebrew at all, but that deficiency should not detour one from reading these homilies. Here is one of my favorite examples of this emphasis on ἀκρίβεια in these homilies . . .

Chrysostom (349-407): You see, despite the use of such precision by Sacred Scripture, some people have not questioned the glib words of arrogant commentators and farfetched philosophy, even to the extent of denying Holy Writ and saying the garden was not on earth, giving contrary views on many other passages, taking a direction opposed to a literal understanding of the text, and thinking that what is said on the question of things on earth has to do with things in heaven. And, if blessed Moses had not used such simplicity of expression and considerateness, the Holy Spirit directing his tongue, where would we not have come to grief? Sacred Scripture, though, whenever it wants to teach us something like this, gives its own interpretation, and doesn’t let the listener go astray. On the other hand, since the majority of listeners apply their ears to the narrative, not for the sake of gaining some profit but for enjoyment, they are at pains to take note of things able to bring enjoyment rather than those that bring profit. So, I beg you, block your ears against all distractions of that kind, and let us follow the norm of Sacred Scripture. FC, Vol. 74, Homilies on Genesis 1-17, Homily 13.13 (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1986), p. 175.
Greek text: Εἰ γὰρ καὶ τοσαύτῇ χρσαμένης ἀκριβείᾳ τῆς θείας Γραφῆς, οὐ παρῃτήσαντό τινες τῶν ἐπὶ εὐγλωττίᾳ μεγαλοφρονούντων, καὶ τῇ σοφίᾳ τῇ ἔξωθεν, ἀπεναντίας τοῖς γεγραμμένοις φθέγγεσθαι, καὶ εἰπεῖν, μὴ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς εἶναι τὸν παράδεισον, καὶ πολλὰ ἕτερα τῶν εἰρημένων παρεγγυῶντες, μὴ ὡς γέγραπται φρονεῖν, ἀλλʼ ἀπεναντίας ἔρχεσθαι, καὶ τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς εἰρημένα περὶ τῶν ἐν οὐρανοῖς νομίζειν εἰρῆσθαι· εἰ μὴ τῇ ταπεινότητι τούτων τῶν λόγων, καὶ τῇ συγκαταβάσει ὁ μακάριος Μωϋσῆς ἐχρήσατο, τοῦ ἁγίου Πνεύματος τὴν γλῶτταν αὐτοῦ κινοῦντος, ποῦ οὐκ ἂν ἐξεκυλίσθησαν, καίτοι γε τῆς ἁγίας Γραφῆς, ἐπειδὰν βούληταί τι τοιοῦτον ἡμᾶς διδάσκειν, ἑαυτὴν ἑρμηνευούσης, καὶ οὐκ ἀφιείσης πλανᾶσθαι τὸν ἀκροατήν; Ἀλλʼ ἐπειδὴ οἱ πολλοὶ οὐ διὰ τὸ καρπώσασθαί τι κέρδος ἐκ τῶν θείων Γραφῶν, ἀλλὰ τέρψεως ἕνεκεν τὰς ἀκοὰς ὑπέχουσι τοῖς τὰ παριστάμενα λέγοισι· διὰ τοῦτο οὐ τοῖς ὠφελοῦσιν, ἀλλὰ τοῖς τέρπειν μᾶλλον δυναμένοις προσέχειν σπουδάζουσι. Διὸ παρακαλῶ, πᾶσι τοῖς τοιούτοις τὰς ἀκοὰς ἀποτειχίσαντες, τῷ κανόνι τῆς ἁγίας Γραφῆς κατακολουθήσωμεν. Homiliae in Genesim, Caput II, Homilia XIII, §3, PG 53:108.

Last edited:
I have this work by Epiphanius, as well as his much larger work on The Panarion (two volumes published by Brill).

Epiphanius was orthodox, but not the most profound thinker of his day. He was, to be sure, regarded as orthodox in his views, but strikes me as maintaining a very high view of his own theological perspectives. He did have the nasty habit of sticking his nose in the affairs of other bishops. Below are a few citations from his Ancoratus.

Epiphanius of Salamis (310/320-403): Search the divine Scriptures, and learn the power of the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit himself, the one who knows the Father and the Son, will reveal to you the knowledge of the Logos, the Son of God, in order that you might not be led astray from the truth and destroy your soul. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 128, St. Epiphanius of Cyprus, Ancoratus, trans. Young Richard Kim (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2014), p. 91.
Greek text: Ἐρεύνησον τὰς θείας Γραφὰς, καὶ μάθε τοῦ ἁγίου Πνεύματος τὴν δύναμιν, καὶ αὐτὸ τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ γινῶσκον τὸν πατέρα καὶ τὸν υἱὸν ἀποκαλύψει σοι τὴν τοῦ Λόγου τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ γνῶσιν, ἵνα μὴ πλανηθῇς τῆς ἀληθείας καὶ ἀπολέσῃς τὴν σεαυτοῦ ψυχήν. Ancoratus, §19, PG 43:52-53.

Epiphanius of Salamis (310/320-403): For God has come, and in all things the divine Scriptures explain to us. For nothing in them is obscure or complicated; “all things are open to those who understand and right to those who find knowledge.” Fathers of the Church, Vol. 128, St. Epiphanius of Cyprus, Ancoratus, trans. Young Richard Kim (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2014), p. 121.
Greek text: Ὁ θεὸς γὰρ ἦλθε, καὶ εἰς πάντα ἡμῖν σαφηνίζουσιν αἱ θεῖαι γραφαί. οὐδὲν γὰρ ἐν αὐταῖς ἐστὶ σκολιὸν ἢ στραγγαλιῶδες. Ancoratus, §41, PG 43:89.

I forgot to mention that about Epiphanius. He definitely had an axe to grind.

When it comes to the Greek text used by Chrysostom, things become somewhat complicated. One must bear in mind that he wasn't using a codex form of the Bible, but individual texts, and there were at least 3 or 4 variant texts of the LXX floating around in his day, and Chrysostom himself references textual variants though he never mentions the source of these variants. We know that some of these have been identified from the work of at least three different translators who offered revised editions from the second century, Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotian. Chrysostom often offered variants of the text to his congregants, rarely evaluating them which in turn leaves us somewhat puzzled at his purpose for doing so. Moreover, he does mention (from time to time) his favoring a particular reading stating that "the Hebrew means that." To be sure, this was indeed risky business, for him, of getting his fingers burnt through ignorance. But never does Chrysostom ever suggest that, whatever reading one may prefer, it is anything less than the word of God.

When it comes to the Greek text used by Chrysostom, things become somewhat complicated. One must bear in mind that he wasn't using a codex form of the Bible, but individual texts, and there were at least 3 or 4 variant texts of the LXX floating around in his day, and Chrysostom himself references textual variants though he never mentions the source of these variants. We know that some of these have been identified from the work of at least three different translators who offered revised editions from the second century, Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotian. Chrysostom often offered variants of the text to his congregants, rarely evaluating them which in turn leaves us somewhat puzzled at his purpose for doing so. Moreover, he does mention (from time to time) his favoring a particular reading stating that "the Hebrew means that." To be sure, this was indeed risky business, for him, of getting his fingers burnt through ignorance. But never does Chrysostom ever suggest that, whatever reading one may prefer, it is anything less than the word of God.

Thank you for that. It is helpful. Did Chrysostom preach on the entirety of Genesis? By entirely, I mean each chapter, not line by line.

Yes, 67 homilies in all.

That is excellent.

For the last two years, I have had an obsession with Genesis. I wavered back and forth on Chrysostom. My reading load is quite voluminous already, but I particularly enjoy Chrysostom's homilies.

My eyes strain to read on backlit screens. Can I easily convert logos content to kindle format?

For any Protestants that are about to embark on any study of Patristics, I would seriously advise reading the two works below.

William Perkins - A Reformed Catholic & The Problem of Forged Catholicism, and the Universality of the Romish Religion in Perkins works volume. 7
https://www.heritagebooks.org/products/the-works-of-william-perkins-volume-7.html

Jean Daillé - A Treatise on the Right Use of the Fathers in the Decision of the Controversies Existing at This Day in Religion
https://books.google.com/books?id=y...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

We picked up a few boxes of the Daillé title when we acquired Sprinkle. They should be going online soon. I think both of the linked titles are imperative to read at the outset of Patristic studies. They are dated but important.

My eyes strain to read on backlit screens. Can I easily convert logos content to kindle format?

They used to have a service that did that for you but AMAZON requested they remove that service. Now you have to load them manually using a process but its still doable.

Here is a link that outlines the steps which aren't that hard but take a little bit of time (15-20min).

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/124007.aspx

They used to have a service that did that for you but AMAZON requested they remove that service. Now you have to load them manually using a process but its still doable.

Here is a link that outlines the steps which aren't that hard but take a little bit of time (15-20min).

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/124007.aspx

Wow. That is difficult. And you can only do 100 pages at a time? Gurnall volumes 1-3 is about 3000 pages. It takes 10 minutes to convert 100 pages. That's 5 hours staring at a computer screen! I am better off just paying the kindle price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back