For Those Who Have Struggled With Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
To me, the ancient capital letters of the Greek alphabet - the great Theta, a sphere barred across the midst like Saturn, or the great Upsilon, standing up like a tall curved chalice - have still a quite unaccountable charm and mystery, as if they were the characters traced in wide welcome over Eden of the dawn. The ordinary small Greek letters, though I am now much more familiar with them, seem to me quite nasty little things, like a swarm of gnats. As for Greek accents, I triumphantly succeeded, through a long series of school-terms, in avoiding learning them at all; and I never had a higher moment of gratification than when I afterwards discovered that the Greeks never learnt them, either. I felt, with a radiant pride, that I was as ignorant as Plato and Thucydides. At least they were unknown to the Greeks who wrote the prose and poetry that was thought worth studying, and were invented by grammarians, I believe, at the time of the Renaissance. But it is a simple psychological fact that the sight of a Greek capital still fills me with happiness, the sight of a small letter with indignation tinged with dislike, and the accents with righteous indignation reaching the point of profanity.

And I believe that the explanation is that I learnt the large Greek letters, as I learnt the large English letters, at home. I was told about them merely for fun while I was still a child; while the others I learnt during the period of what is commonly called education; that is, the period during which I was being instructed by somebody I did not know, about something I did not want to know.

G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936), Autobiography, Ignatius Press reprint, p. 61. Originally published in 1936.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back