For those who reject x-mass as a holy day, do you put up a seasonal/decorative tree in your home?

For those who reject x-mass as a holy day, do you put up a seasonal/decorative tree in your home?

• Tree

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No Tree

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted "tree" because I have no problem having a cultural celebration. I treat it on the same level as birthdays, New Years, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, etc. (while respecting that these each carry different significance). My wife and I are also careful how we present to our children "Christian" holidays given our previous experience in Evangelicalism. Christmas and Easter meant feeling especially holy and reverent. How absurd to conjure some special significance when we celebrate the incarnation, life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Christ each of the 52 true holy days of the year! Nat King Cole, spiked eggnog, "ugly" sweaters, the smell of evergreens and Christmas ham? What good things to rejoice in! Let that not stop us from rejoicing in the mundane things either, though; for they are also good things from the hand of the Lord.

I've come to hold this opinion--freed from the shackles of pietistic nonsense, conjuring up "joy"-- after surveying the Scriptures and seeing that God made us to rejoice in the good things he's given us. It's why he prescribed festivals to honor and commune with him following movements natural to creation and punctuated by redemptive acts. These weren't the only times the people of God celebrated or had their own feasts. Why would we do any different? We have the holy days of each Sabbath (may we treat them as such!), and we have all the reason in the world--far beyond any pitiful unbelieving reason--to celebrate good things from the hand of the Lord. May we, like Job's family, revel in God's provision. Or as Solomon describes in Ecclesiastes. The wisdom literature, such as mentioned, is especially rich in showing us to spend our short time wisely, happily, and in the good work of the Lord. After all, it's great "practice" for that day when that beloved feast shall be before us, and we shall partake of the good things with our Prophet, Priest, and King reclining at table with us!

הַֽלְלוּ־יָהּ הַלְלִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת־יְהוָֽה׃
אֲהַלְלָה יְהוָה בְּחַיָּי אֲזַמְּרָה לֵֽאלֹהַי בְּעוֹדִֽי׃

Praise ye the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul.
While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
I feel the same way, I see it more like a cultural celebration. My family celebrates it and most are not believers, especially my brother and sister-in-law; there is nothing about Jesus in their observance of the tradition.

I put up a tree out of nostalgia and I enjoy it and it is a beautiful decoration to me. I enjoy playing classic Christmas music around this time (not the new songs); so many of the traditional Christmas songs in my view have Scriptural references in the lyrics and many have correct doctrine present in the text, at least in my understanding. I would imagine that is why you don't hear any vocal renditions of Hark the Herald Angels Sing or What Child Is This in any of the commercial stores.

I am honestly somewhat bewildered by the results of this poll and thread. The poll/thread was for those who reject Xmass as a holy day, but it seems many think it still legitimate to celebrate somehow on a purely civil level, or at least have the "winter spirit" during this same time of year; but all the awhile doing the same things, and keeping the same tradition/practice; and some even retain the nomenclature of Christ in its moniker.

Jeremiah 10:2 — Learn not the way of the heathen,
1 Thessalonians 5:22 — Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I am honestly somewhat bewildered by the results of this poll and thread. The poll/thread was for those who reject Xmass as a holy day, but it seems many think it still legitimate to celebrate somehow on a purely civil level, or at least have the "winter spirit" during this same time of year; but all the awhile doing the same things, and keeping the same tradition/practice; and some even retain the nomenclature of Christ in its moniker.

1. What do you call this day, even if you celebrate in no fashion?
2. Cultural festivities aren't necessarily "heathenistic"
3. It can be difficult to transition out, given that many of the things related to this time of year have a complicated history and are indifferent in and of themselves.

1. What do you call this day, even if you celebrate in no fashion?
2. Cultural festivities aren't necessarily "heathenistic"
3. It can be difficult to transition out, given that many of the things related to this time of year have a complicated history and are indifferent in and of themselves.
1. Well, this year I won't bother mentioning anything about it, since it falls on the Sabbath, and we are not to speak our own words, or do our own pleasures on his Holy Day, the only Holy Day [Isaiah 58:13-14]. God gave Adam everything in the garden, and said it was his, except for the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, so too with the Sabbath. God gives us 6 days for our own pleasures (unto his glory, of course); but the Sabbath Day is not ours to encroach upon. In the other years, I treat it as if it's just another day. I don't desire to even take the name of it in my lips, since it takes the Lord's name in vain, and idolatry vanishes where there is no memory of it, and so I don't desire to remind others of it by speaking of it.
2. Brother, the idolatry of Christmas (or termed under the guise of "Advent") and Easter is beyond a mere "cultural festivity" — Gillespie and the Westminster Divines made that clear, as in the distinction between it, and the Jews celebration of Purim (as an example). The Directory for Public Worship also makes that clear.
3. I grant that transitioning out of sinful practice is difficult, and as sinners, it is a difficult thing when everyone else partakes in the practice; but God delights in obedience that is entire, and from the heart, not piecemeal obedience, slowly transitioning year by year to less and less.

Every blessing in Christ.

Edit: in regards to point (1), if a minister desires to preach a sermon against the practice, I would personally say that's a different matter, since it is instruction in righteousness for prevention of error. I know there will be some who think that is an artificial distinction, but I think it's a legitimate one.

Last edited:
1. Well, this year I won't bother mentioning anything about it, since it falls on the Sabbath, and we are not to speak our own words, or do our own pleasures on his Holy Day, the only Holy Day [Isaiah 58:13-14]. God gave Adam everything in the garden, and said it was his, except for the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, so too with the Sabbath. God gives us 6 days for our own pleasures (unto his glory, of course); but the Sabbath Day is not ours to encroach upon.
2. Brother, the idolatry of Christmas (or termed under the guise of "Advent") and Easter is beyond a mere "cultural festivity" — Gillespie and the Westminster Divines made that clear, as in the distinction between it, and the Jews celebration of Purim (as an example). The Directory for Public Worship makes that clear.
3. I grant that transitioning out of sinful practice is difficult, and as sinners, it is a difficult thing when everyone else partakes in the practice; but God delights in obedience that is entire, and from the heart, not piecemeal obedience, slowly transitioning year by year to less and less.

Every blessing in Christ.
1. I meant when referring to it in general
2. Do you find all other cultural festivities outside of "the big 2" so called "Christian" ones idolatrous as well?
3. What is sinful about decorating with flowers in spring, gourds in fall, greens in winter in and of themselves? Again, assuming you are not tying those to the RCC holy day?

1. I meant when referring to it in general
2. Do you find all other cultural festivities outside of "the big 2" so called "Christian" ones idolatrous as well?
3. What is sinful about decorating with flowers in spring, gourds in fall, greens in winter in and of themselves? Again, assuming you are not tying those to the RCC holy day?
1. I added an edit towards the end of point (1) — not the footnote, but the paragraph itself. Let me know if you need more clarification or if I misunderstood, I'm a slow thinker, and sometimes make edits to posts.
2. Personally some, yeah. Such as Lent, etc.
3. Well, the Lord knows the hearts of all men, and I am simply observing what I've seen by personal experience and this thread. There seem to be many here who keep the "winter spirit", or what have you, but will not have a full on Christmas tree. I would abstain from it personally if: we are to avoid every appearance of evil, be separate from the world, and not give any opportunity for remembrance to the festivity. Just my brief thoughts on break at work, maybe I can reply more fully later if need be.

I know it's not the same thing as "Christmas," but, @JH, I wonder what you think of the fact that it's Woden's Day today? Tomorrow is Thor's Day, and the day after is Frigg's Day, etc. What month is your birthday? Mine is in Maia's month. I enjoy the snow in the month of Janus, but grow a little weary of it by the time the month of Mars rolls around.

I don't say this to be snarky at all. Paganism and heathenism is in the very vernacular of our everyday lives. It is often completely unnoticed by most throughout their lives. I know this is a separate issue from the question of practicing Xmas (however styled) as a religious holy day. But I don't think it is so separate from those of us who observe various cultural celebrations of the year. Those of us who do observe such days culturally, are not at all conflating it as those who hold to "Christian" calendar.

That said, I will be reading more closely the documents surrounding the Westminster Confession. By the way, I respect you and all those who hold your convictions with clarity and honesty. It is encouraging to see.

BTW, "Xmas" doesn't help anyone escape anything. It's not the symbol X as in to cancel out something, but comes from the Greek letter chi which was used as shorthand for "Christ".

But just to be clear, I do reject the day as a holy day.

I know it's not the same thing as "Christmas," but, @JH, I wonder what you think of the fact that it's Woden's Day today? Tomorrow is Thor's Day, and the day after is Frigg's Day, etc. What month is your birthday? Mine is in Maia's month. I enjoy the snow in the month of Janus, but grow a little weary of it by the time the month of Mars rolls around.
Thank you JL, for your response. It's funny you mention that: I watched
yesternight, and found out that the theory of those days being quite different from what most actually think they're from. But anywho, let's grant the premise: I don't think anything of it, because it doesn't intermingle or take the things of world and try to Christianize them, as Rome did with the aforementioned days; not only that, but the origin itself is pagan in and of itself; not also to mention the RPW and it's good and necessary consequences are sufficient to abstain from it. The Old Covenant had a plurality of days set apart, whereas the New (though less in number, yet greater in efficacy/solidity, the same thing WCF 7 says of covenant theology) there is only the weekly Sabbath that God has desired to set apart in the simplicity of the New Covenant.
I don't say this to be snarky at all. Paganism and heathenism is in the very vernacular of our everyday lives. It is often completely unnoticed by most throughout their lives. I know this is a separate issue from the question of practicing Xmas (however styled) as a religious holy day. But I don't think it is so separate from those of us who observe various cultural celebrations of the year. Those of us who do observe such days culturally, are not at all conflating it as those who hold to "Christian" calendar.

That said, I will be reading more closely the documents surrounding the Westminster Confession. By the way, I respect you and all those who hold your convictions with clarity and honesty. It is encouraging to see.
I personally don't think the separation from the syncretism aspect of it, and the purely civil aspect of Xmass can be separated, and it's better to drop it altogether as a "monument of Papist idolatry" to quote Gillespie. The Apostolic Church Calendar for Presbyterians ought be 52 Sabbath's (on some 53), and no more.

My pride has the potential to be puffed up, as I've been in a couple threads of controversy lately, so I think I'll let others chime in.Every blessing to you and yours, as I've enjoyed your contributions in the past as well.

BTW, "Xmas" doesn't help anyone escape anything. It's not the symbol X as in to cancel out something, but comes from the Greek letter chi which was used as shorthand for "Christ".

But just to be clear, I do reject the day as a holy day.
I only say Xmass because I refuse to employ the name of Christ in a vain and yet idolatrous thing. I have to use something to describe the subject matter at hand, so communication is cogent.

I only say Xmass because I refuse to employ the name of Christ in a vain and yet idolatrous thing. I have to use something to describe the subject matter at hand, so communication is cogent.
my point was that you are employing the name of Christ. That's its origin.

Thank you JL, for your response. It's funny you mention that: I watched
yesternight, and found out that the theory of those days being quite different from what most actually think they're from. But anywho, let's grant the premise: I don't think anything of it, because it doesn't intermingle or take the things of world and try to Christianize them, as Rome did with the aforementioned days; not only that, but the origin itself is pagan in and of itself; not also to mention the RPW and it's good and necessary consequences are sufficient to abstain from it. The Old Covenant had a plurality of days set apart, whereas the New (though less in number, yet greater in efficacy/solidity, the same thing WCF 7 says of covenant theology) there is only the weekly Sabbath that God has desired to set apart in the simplicity of the New Covenant.

I personally don't think the separation from the syncretism aspect of it, and the purely civil aspect of Xmass can be separated, and it's better to drop it altogether as a "monument of Papist idolatry" to quote Gillespie. The Apostolic Church Calendar for Presbyterians ought be 52 Sabbath's (on some 53), and no more.

My pride has the potential to be puffed up, as I've been in a couple threads of controversy lately, so I think I'll let others chime in.Every blessing to you and yours, as I've enjoyed your contributions in the past as well.
Thanks for sending this along, brother. I'll look at it after class today.

I use “December Solstice Celebration” to refer to the day. Foolstide is another possibility with historic precedence, but is probably tipping towards the snarky.

There is no season of the year that depresses me more than "moral therapeutic consumerism packaged in a faux-Christian wrapper" season. Bad childhood memories of family trauma, I guess. I do the least possible short of provoking my wife, and do not attend "special" Christmas services. your mileage may vary.

3. Well, the Lord knows the hearts of all men, and I am simply observing what I've seen by personal experience and this thread. There seem to be many here who keep the "winter spirit", or what have you, but will not have a full on Christmas tree. I would abstain from it personally if: we are to avoid every appearance of evil, be separate from the world, and not give any opportunity for remembrance to the festivity. Just my brief thoughts on break at work, maybe I can reply more fully later if need be.
Appearance of Evil? Are you proposing here that if someone has pumpkin decorations in the fall that they are flirting with evil or pastel color pillows in the spring? Can I eat Reese Eggs in good conscience? If "being separate from the world" was as easy for the flesh as not having a tree, I think we may be missing the meaning of this passage of scripture. I say that as who whose' s family does not have a tree up. A family decorating their home for winter is not evil. A family focusing on the incarnation in December is not evil. Don't get me wrong, this time of year is often a season of heightened wickedness regarding will-worship, canceling public worship, gluttony, and discontent...but blanketing in the way you have is all too easy and risk calling good things or morally neutral things bad. Many with spouses, children, and larger extended families have to try and find a palatable balance in order to still exhibit faith, love, and mercy to a broken world. Sadly, even confessional bodies sanction candle offerings to somehow add to the ordinary means of grace (what a joke). To be clear, we should be careful to assess our own consciences is this matter and not violate the RPW or go soft on 2CVs in general, but we also have to avoid the Mama Boucher syndrome.

Many who never think of Christ often do during this time and there are often many missed opportunities to share our faith with neighbors and co-workers because because we have gotten so angry about the abuses of this seasons (speaking as one relating). That is NO excuse to violate the RPW as many try to justify, but it can change our individual approach on a case by case bases on how we can interact on this topic with fellow believers and especially pagans.

Grant, I personally would refrain from having pumpkin decorations during the time of Halloween so it doesn't appear as if I'm celebrating a satanic festival, I don't think there's anything odd about that. Not to mention again, the syncretism of the winter holiday.

Grant, I personally would refrain from having pumpkin decorations during the time of Halloween so it doesn't appear as if I'm celebrating a satanic festival, I don't think there's anything odd about that. Not to mention again, the syncretism of the winter holiday.
Seriously, I respect your thoughts on the matter as one who also refrains from celebrating Halloween. And I don't hold any of my opinions as one indifferent or who gets the benefit of being single and alone. I and my wife were both raised on all the celebrations of tooth fairy, bunny baskets, Santa, reindeer poop, and whatever else. After marriage I began to hard process of pulling back on every bit of that for my own household.

Less seriously, I note you protest the pumpkins....but you must be a Reese Egg fan :lol:
1670455390404.png

Hi Jerrod,

I noticed we are in a dead heat, with 24 tree and 24 no tree.

I only posted once in the early time of this thread when the vote was only six to six. If you haven't read my post you might want to go back and take a look. I discussed the celebration and confessed that it is, for me, usually one of the worst days of the year. I reject any religious significance attached to the Day. To anyone who attaches such significance to the day, I take Paul's position of not eating meat offered to Idols in the presence of somebody whose conscience is affected by idolatry. But Paul didn't have any problem at all eating the same meat when that guy wasn't around.

Neither do I have a problem with getting together with family members who you would not see any other time of the year if you had nothing to do with this day. But I equally accept your right to have no participation whatsoever in the day if that's what your conscience dictates to you. I also added that when a year like this year, December 25th, is a Lord's Day anybody with head-of-household status should absolutely forbid the celebration on the Lord's Day. Particularly because the same people that you would gather with are still around on Monday, which is the legal day off.

Of possible interest - the last time December 25th was on a Lord's day was 6 years ago. And it will be 11 years until it happens again. I most likely won't live to see it. My warfare will have ended. I made a rather personal chart starting with my day of birth which was on t Lord's Day, then skipped the earlier years of my life and picked it up again in 1994. The last column is my age at the various December 25ths. The lines with only the weekday name are the days between that are not on the Lord's Day. The pattern repeats every 28 years.

Far be it from me to try to change your opinion. But make sure you consider what I say next.

I am of the opinion that the two traditional arguments against any festivity of this seasonal gathering are no longer valid.
They are 1) the pagan origins and sinful excesses of the whole season, and 2) the profaning of the day by the Roman Church.

At least in the United States, these two historical points have completely left the consciousness of most Americans. I believe that in most Americans' minds, the word Christmas is little different than pronouncing the pagan days of the week. By the way, did you know that the New England Puritans would not pronounce the days of the week? There was "The Lord, His Day," days two through seven for the rest of the week. I'm pretty sure you already knew there were also fines for those who celebrated Christmas.

Thanks for listening.

PS - A quick note on your citation of 1 Thessalonians 5:22. The ambiguous phrase from the KJV, "Abstain from all appearance of evil," can be misleading.
While the sentiment is true enough, this verse does not teach this. The verse is better understood in modern translations.
  • ASV (1901) - abstain from every form of evil
  • ESV - abstain from every form of evil
  • NASB (1995) - abstain from every form of evil
  • NIV - reject every kind of evil
Xmass dates.png

Last edited:
I don't consider December 25 sacred, but I still go to the family gathering that day and I don't stop my wife from putting up winter decorations. As I see it, claiming the day is holy is a violation of the ninth commandment, but strings of lights, wreaths, and excessive use of red and green in decorating don't break any of God's laws. We are against nativity scenes though, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
No tree at our house. We've never had one.

But I will admit that on December 21, 2022 at 1:48 pm PST, I will go out and look at how low the sun is, with a slight bit of joy knowing that days will be getting longer.

I know, sort of pagan, but the Earth is the Lord's.

I personally do not care what other people do on this issue. My own preference, however, would be not to have one. I would also prefer it if gifts and so forth were exchanged on New Year's Day, as they used to be in Scotland. I once read a sermon preached on New Year's Eve by Ebenezer Erskine where he used an illustration relating to the children getting presents the following day to exhort his hearers to receive the gift of eternal life.

@davejonescue drew my attention to a work by Thomas Mocket yesterday. Interestingly, as you will see from the extract below, he took a completely different view of New Year's celebrations. You might not agree with his comments, but I think they are useful for highlighting the impossibility of being consistent when you adopt an overly-expansive view of what constitutes a monument to idolatry. For that reason, I prefer to leave such questions concerning the cultural aspects of Xmas as matters of prudence and Christian liberty, though, and this point often gets forgotten about, if something is really a matter of Christian liberty, then you have to respect other people's right to disagree. Anyway, here is Thomas Mocket on New Year:

The first of January, commonly called New-years-day, a part of our Christmas was dedicated to the honour of their two faced Idoll Janus so called, and pictured, because he was a wise Prince, that did look back, and well observe times and things past, and thence did wisely gather and foresee what might be hereafter, and accordingly did re∣gulate his affairs, which day the Heathens did in like manner solemnize, and also by sending of New-years-gifts one to another, wherefore the whole Catholike Church (as Mr. Prin informs us out of Alcuvinus) and four famous Councils appointed a solemn fast to be kept on that day, to bewaile all heathenish sports, plays, and lewd idolatrous practises and prophane courses, prohibiting all Christians under pain of Excommunication from observing the first of January as holy, or sending New years gifts. It was condemned also by many ancient and learned Writers, as Ambrose, Augustine, Chrysostome, and many others, yea, and by two Popes as bad as they were, namely, Pope Zachary, and Pope Martin.

Thomas Mocket, Christmas, The Christian’s grand feast: Its original, growth, and observation, also of Easter, Whitsontide, and other holy days modestly discussed and determined. Also the beginning of the year, and other things observable (London: Richard Wodenoth, 1650), p. 4.

Can the tree be used as a secular holiday decoration like a turkey at thanksgiving? Or is it so intrinsically linked to false holy day or pagen worship and idolatry that its to be avoided?
The winter solstice is Dec 22. Nimrod the Sun God died. Three days later his resurrection was celebrated with evergreens in the house. When the RCC turned it into a Christian special day to stomp out the paganism, the evergreens stuck around.

I was so creeped out when I found out the Babylon origin that I wanted to not have a tree, which was fine with hub. And I had always loved them and still think they are pretty, but we never do one.

I don't care anymore what others do, there is so much wrong in the world to pray about that I don't want to get emotionally involved about it anymore. But some Christians are dumbfounded when they are here and we don't have a tree. My Lutheran mother in law was always horrified. At this point though, all the kids come for pot roast and we do Pollyanna presents. And my neighbors all do little baked goods presents.

On the plus side, my local malls have a month of blaring Christmas songs, many with great lyrics preaching the gospel. And Handel's Messiah is still getting sung. So praise God for that.

The winter solstice is Dec 22. Nimrod the Sun God died. Three days later his resurrection was celebrated with evergreens in the house. When the RCC turned it into a Christian special day to stomp out the paganism, the evergreens stuck around.

I was so creeped out when I found out the Babylon origin that I wanted to not have a tree, which was fine with hub. And I had always loved them and still think they are pretty, but we never do one.

I don't care anymore what others do, there is so much wrong in the world to pray about that I don't want to get emotionally involved about it anymore. But some Christians are dumbfounded when they are here and we don't have a tree. My Lutheran mother in law was always horrified. At this point though, all the kids come for pot roast and we do Pollyanna presents. And my neighbors all do little baked goods presents.

On the plus side, my local malls have a month of blaring Christmas songs, many with great lyrics preaching the gospel. And Handel's Messiah is still getting sung. So praise God for that.
Are there even pine trees in Iraq? I think it's very possible that the dating of Christmas has to do with the winter solstice, but I don't find it likely a northern European winter/Christmas tradition began in Babylon. That would require a high burden of proof. Most pagan customs in Northern Europe, like may day, may poles, solstice festivals, etc are of Germanic, pre-Christian origin. There was no direct historical contact between Babylon and Northern Europe.

I think it's very possible that the dating of Christmas has to do with the winter solstice, but I don't find it likely a northern European winter/Christmas tradition began in Babylon.

There were various dates claimed for the Nativity amongst some early church fathers, including on or about December 25th, often for dubious reasons. But, as you suggest, the evidence does not support the idea that any supposed date of the Nativity was rooted in pagan ritual, Babylonian or otherwise.

Attachments

• Why is Christmas on December, 25.pdf
    175.1 KB · Views: 0

Lynnie,
There doesn't seem to be any evidence from Babylonian sources of a sun god named Nimrod, at least during the period for which we have data. Their sun god was Shamash. A quick search of the internet suggests that you may have been fed an apocryphal story that likely lacks any solid foundation. By all means, don't have a tree, but don't blame Nimrod.

I’m not exactly pro-tree here, but my understanding is that our modern “Christmas tree” comes from Martin Luther.

“For those who reject Xmas as a holy day”.. anyone here celebrating Christmas in the privacy of their own home obviously rejects it as a holy day. It’s not the Lord’s Day (and if it falls on the Lord’s Day like this year we must not change our Sabbath routines).

Many here also celebrate birthdays and Thanksgiving, those aren’t holy days either. You seem to be arguing that it’s not a matter of private liberty, which is challenging if you endeavor to be consistent with virtually any other “holiday”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back