Formal and Material Republication in the Confessions of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Formal and Material Republication in the Confessions of Faith | Particular Voices

In debates concerning the republication of the covenant of works within the Mosaic covenant, anyone who holds to the Westminster Confession or the London Baptist Confession confesses that the same law that was given to Adam was delivered to Moses. At the very least, then, the confessions teach a republication of the covenant of works. Where things get more complicated is when we discuss how that law functioned. Was the law given to Moses as a covenant of works? That is a much larger statement than simply that the same law given to Adam was given to Moses.

Any thoughts?

Do the Confessions require a belief in republicationism in some form? In what form?

Who is the author? And why does he use a white on black font? I couldn't get through the first paragraph.

Who is the author? And why does he use a white on black font? I couldn't get through the first paragraph.

The author is Samuel Renihan. His Sermon Audio page is here.

I like the white on black font. That's how I read my Kindle books.

Samuel did a very good job explaining the Minority view. I think it needs some refining and I believe I can easily defend the Westminster Position contra the passages and quotes he uses but he did a bang up job. I applaud it. Very good Samuel.

In debates concerning the republication of the covenant of works within the Mosaic covenant, anyone who holds to the Westminster Confession or the London Baptist Confession confesses that the same law that was given to Adam was delivered to Moses. At the very least, then, the confessions teach a republication of the covenant of works.

The rest of the post and the nature of the case, show that it should have read "the confessions teach a republication of the law."

Absolutely Ruben. Good observation. I recommend again reading Beeke / Jones A Puritan Theology chapters 16-18 and Robert Shaw's commentary on chapter 19 on the Westminster Confession of faith.

In debates concerning the republication of the covenant of works within the Mosaic covenant, anyone who holds to the Westminster Confession or the London Baptist Confession confesses that the same law that was given to Adam was delivered to Moses. At the very least, then, the confessions teach a republication of the covenant of works.

The rest of the post and the nature of the case, show that it should have read "the confessions teach a republication of the law."

Yes, thanks. That was part of that I was wondering about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back