Four Inward Thoughts of the Wicked - from Psalm 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings, Pilgrims,

This Psalm contains David’s complaint unto God against his malicious enemies, especially those of his own people, whose wicked and deceitful practices he here describes, and then commits his cause to God, and begs his help against them. -Matthew Poole​

These are my thoughts on Psalm 10 from this morning’s devotions.
My comments are limited to David’s opening impressions and four thoughts in the heart of the wicked.

Psalm 10:1-2​
Why, O Lord, do you stand far away? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised.​

David opens with his perception that God is absent [hiding] in the present time of trouble.
Next, David complains of the wicked’s oppression of the poor and prays for God’s justice in the form of the wicked suffering at their own hand for their evil.

The Four Thoughts
Thought the First
Psalm 10:4‭ ESV​
In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.”​

The furthest thing conceivable from seeking the Lord is the practical atheism and pride of the wicked. They comfort themselves with the thought that there is no God with whom they have to do. (Hebrews 4:12-13)

Thought the Second
Psalm 10:6‭ ESV​
He says in his heart, “I shall not be moved; throughout all generations I shall not meet adversity.”​

At times even the righteous have such thoughts about the wicked. (see Psalm 73:3‭-12)
Vs. 3 For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
vs. 12 Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches.

This was also Job’s complaint against the “apparent” easy life of the wicked. (see Job 21:7-15)

Thought the Third
Psalm 10:11‭ESV​
He says in his heart, “God has forgotten, he has hidden his face, he will never see it.”​

“Well, even if there is a God, he will never see what we do. We will never come into judgment for our sinful ways.” Here is yet another form of practical atheism.

Thought the Fourth
Psalm 10:13 ESV​
Why does the wicked renounce God and say in his heart, “You will not call to account”?​

In this verse, we see something extraordinary. Notice that the wicked are addressing themselves to God, saying, “You will never call us to account.”

Are there really any atheists among men? I think not. All men, one day, when they do meet their God, will be unable to say, “but we never knew.” They knew--every one of them knew--the true God and His divine nature.

Romans 1:18‭-‬23 KJV​
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold [suppress] the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back