Four Views on Creation, Evolution, and ID (Zondervan Counterpoints)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
The book itself is good, though I imagine the editor would have done it differently. The essays were fairly informative and well-written, though young earth advocates would no doubt have wished someone like Lisle or Doug Kelly would have replaced Ken Ham.

Ken Ham: Ham insisted he be allowed to have a longer essay than the rest since he, and he alone, “was defending the authority of the Bible vs the authority of Scientists.” Ham’s outlook is simple: will we trust Scripture and let Scripture determine how we view science?” That sounds noble, but can he pull it off? Sadly, he cannot. Ham’s strength is his relatively clear portrayal of one interpretation of Genesis 1-2. Note, however, that not only does Ham ignore other creation accounts (e.g., Job 38-39; Ps. 104), he refuses to bring them into the discussion because they are “poetry.” Poetry, on his account, cannot teach truths. Ironically, Ham is very close to liberalism at this point.

Hugh Ross: Ross presents “moderate concordism,” the view that we can have a testable model of creation that can give us historical predictions. His science seems fairly accurate. As one author noted, the layman is in the unfortunate prediction of trusting one scientific authority over another and just hoping for the best.

Deborah Haarsma: This is the theistic evolutionist or “evolutionary creationist” account. She has the unenviable task of defending evolution. I do not think she succeeds.

Stephen Meyer: Updated Intelligent Design. I agree with everything he says, but, as others note, his position does not really need the Bible.

Young Earth Creation

There are good scholars and defenders of Young Earth Creation. Ken Ham is not one of those. His essay probably set the movement back twenty years. He does not understand how biblical hermeneutics works and regularly confuses his interpretation with God’s interpretation. His essay is not all bad, though. It is relatively clear and straight-forward.

* According to him, his is the “clear and natural reading.”
* Genesis 1-11 is history.
* Yom means a 24 hour solar day.
* When God creates, he creates supernaturally.
* The chronologies do not have gaps.
* No death before the Fall.

His chapter also touches on a worldwide flood, but that is actually irrelevant to the creation account, though it probably does touch on fossils and the like

Response

That it is “a clear and natural” reading is precisely what one should prove. I do believe Genesis 1-11 is history, but that is not all it is. Yom has other meanings besides a 24 hour solar day, as a lexicon can show the interested reader Even today, the word “day” alternates between 24 hours and 12 hours. If I worked “all day,” I do not mean I worked for 24 straight hours.

I do not dispute that when God creates, he does so supernaturally. I think that point was more aimed at Haarmsa. Moreover, as Ross points out, Ham contradicts himself. He says humans were eyewitnesses to parts of the creation week, yet elsewhere says they were unobserved (Ross 31).

The biggest problem that Ham has to overcome is the issue of starlight. If the universe is 6,000 years old, then how does Ham account for starlight that is obviously from much older stars? The initial response is that God created the light, like he did Adam, fully formed and functional. The problem is a bit deeper than that, though. On Ham’s reading, light is coming from stars that never existed. Information is coming to us from no source at all. This is a problem for all Christian justifications of science. At this very point we cannot account for the rationality of the universe. The comparison with Adam does not work. We do not currently see Adam. We do see starlight.

Old Earth Creation

Hugh Ross has probably the best argued chapter, though it is by no means perfect. He argues:
* The surface of the earth’s water is the frame of reference in Genesis 1.
* Poetry can convey truth, which means we are allowed to go to Psalm 104 and Job 38-39 for information about creation.
* Day Age creation. The days were six sequential, non-overlapping long time periods.
* Even if one wants to say there was no death before the fall, there was entropy, as phenomena like metabolism suggest.
* The Bible itself hints at earth’s antiquity. It speaks of the mountains as “ancient” and “everlasting,” which would not make much sense if the mountains were only a few days older than man.

Response

The biggest problem with Ross’s essay, as one can imagine and as Ross himself anticipates, is the presence of death before the fall. Ross points out that Romans 5 only mentions human death as a result of the fall. It says nothing of animal and plant death. Even if all the carnivores were vegetarians before the Fall, it still has them consuming possible life. Moreover, one would have to say that they all became carnivores after the fall.

I am still not 100% satisfied with Ross’s account. It is logically consistent, but something just does not set right.

Conclusion

There was no overall clear winner. Ross had the best essay. Ham had the worst.

Jacob, what would be the problem of seeing starlight as coming from the stars? I don't see the problem you do. A star and its starlight could be considered more or less one functional thing. Your argument seems to be dependent on a providential view of this particular issue. Why not simply posit that starlight was coming from the star, and God sped up the process? If no starlight was coming to the earth as visible, then Adam would have been able to see precisely zero stars at the beginning. That does not seem to jibe with the account of Genesis 1, where stars are already supposed to be time-markers immediately upon their creation. On Genesis' own account, therefore, stars that are very far away would have to have been visible. Therefore God did create stars far away from earth that would have been visible instantly. What is the necessity of having to have a scientifically viable explanation in order for the starlight to have already been reaching earth?

The biggest problem with Ross’s essay, as one can imagine and as Ross himself anticipates, is the presence of death before the fall. Ross points out that Romans 5 only mentions human death as a result of the fall. It says nothing of animal and plant death. Even if all the carnivores were vegetarians before the Fall, it still has them consuming possible life. Moreover, one would have to say that they all became carnivores after the fall.

I am still not 100% satisfied with Ross’s account. It is logically consistent, but something just does not set right.

Joshua John Van Ee (WSC professor and URC minister) wrote his doctoral dissertation on death before the fall and I find it quite good. He takes the position that Romans 5 is about human death not animal death (to simplify). You can read it free here: https://escholarship.org/uc/item/0qm3n0mt

I've not read this book, but I appreciate a debate John Ankerberg hosted between Ken Ham and Hugh Ross (also with Jason Lisle on the YEC side and Walter Kaiser on the OEC side).

I agree Ken Ham is not doing the YEC movement any favors. I agree with most of his concerns but his answers are too simplistic. "Yom" is an example he hammers constantly, even though even in Genesis 1-2 "yom" does not always mean 24 hour day. Ham also borrows a lot from "flood geology," a movement with suspect cultish origins, and takes it to weird conclusions (like that the species on the ark were distinct from the species we have today and there has been a very rapid evolution or "speciation" in the past few thousand years to account for the diversity of life we have today).

Jacob, what would be the problem of seeing starlight as coming from the stars? I don't see the problem you do. A star and its starlight could be considered more or less one functional thing. Your argument seems to be dependent on a providential view of this particular issue. Why not simply posit that starlight was coming from the star, and God sped up the process? If no starlight was coming to the earth as visible, then Adam would have been able to see precisely zero stars at the beginning. That does not seem to jibe with the account of Genesis 1, where stars are already supposed to be time-markers immediately upon their creation. On Genesis' own account, therefore, stars that are very far away would have to have been visible. Therefore God did create stars far away from earth that would have been visible instantly. What is the necessity of having to have a scientifically viable explanation in order for the starlight to have already been reaching earth?

The light from some stars has been traveling longer than the universe has been in existence. If the universe is 6,000 years old, then the light from some stars shouldn't have arrived yet. Ham actually acknowledges the problem but he just ignores it.

Thanks for the review! A few questions if I may?
I imagine the editor would have done it differently.
How do you mean this?
though young earth advocates would no doubt have wished someone like Lisle or Doug Kelly would have replaced Ken Ham.

No doubt there. I am one of the few members in my congregation that sees the debate between him and Bill Nye as a clearly-scored victory for Nye.
Ross presents “moderate concordism,” the view that we can have a testable model of creation that can give us historical predictions.

He keeps using that word "testable", yet his model is convinced of current secular models and makes use of them so thoroughly that he can only predict the boundaries of what will be discovered within those parameters and cannot produce new predictions regarding discoveries, ie. starlight and the cosmological bounds from creation to present and beyond.

In other words, a problem for the Big Bang and cosmic inflationary models (which there are rumbles in the astrophysics communities that James Webb has discerned some big issues) is simultaneously a problem for Ross.

Sadly, many YEC astronomers like Lisle and Hartnett and many others with testable YEC models have no voice here.
This is the theistic evolutionist or “evolutionary creationist” account. She has the unenviable task of defending evolution. I do not think she succeeds.

So she believes God started life and then evolution took over completely to macro-evolving from fish-like organisms to primate primeval proto-humans to modern man? That seems so anti-Biblical I am surprised this position is given space.

Updated Intelligent Design. I agree with everything he says, but, as others note, his position does not really need the Bible.

Not sure what the difference is between this and Ross myself, but I suspect I would need to read the book.
His chapter also touches on a worldwide flood, but that is actually irrelevant to the creation account, though it probably does touch on fossils and the like

Ham is a businessman and - as you rightly point out - a novice both at Biblical scholarship and scientific pursuits. I do not begrudge him his thoughts, but I think since this topic includes the timing of the creation event, this portion probably deserves a great more detail in the book than seems given.
This is a problem for all Christian justifications of science. At this very point we cannot account for the rationality of the universe. The comparison with Adam does not work. We do not currently see Adam. We do see starlight.

The starlight problem was one of the last vestiges of my OEC views. I could not see my way around it. It probably deserves its own separate multi-view book like this. Same goes for the Flood, geology, radiometric dating, Hebrew of creation texts, etc.
It is logically consistent, but something just does not set right.

I have nothing but respect for Dr. Ross and I cannot wait until I meet him in heaven. You are not wrong about this BUT Dr. Ross represents a scientist who simply cannot lose his faith in the halls of science where all around him everyone else is bowing and actively eagerly worshipping the idol of materialism and fully inhaling the vapors of moral freedoms offered.

Thank you again for this review.

I appreciate a lot of what Ken Ham does, but do agree Dr. Jason Lisle would be a much better choice for defending YEC. I really do enjoy watching Dr. Lisle's presentations.

If no starlight was coming to the earth as visible, then Adam would have been able to see precisely zero stars at the beginning. That does not seem to jibe with the account of Genesis 1, where stars are already supposed to be time-markers immediately upon their creation. On Genesis' own account, therefore, stars that are very far away would have to have been visible. Therefore God did create stars far away from earth that would have been visible instantly. What is the necessity of having to have a scientifically viable explanation in order for the starlight to have already been reaching earth?

That's a very good summary of the issue. Ross and others avoid the problem by positing older time frames. God could have sped up the speed of light for those stars, but that's also kind of an ad hoc argument. I'm not dogmatic on the issue since i know my limitations on what I understand about cosmology.

How do you mean this?

Ham told the editor that he should be able to write a longer essay than was allowed because he was the only one defending God. The editor should have told him to pound sand and then hired Doug Kelly.
Not sure what the difference is between this and Ross myself, but I suspect I would need to read the book.

Meyer's position is that DNA is so complex that evolution can't account for it. I agree. Doesn't really add much to age of earth discussions, though.

Ham also borrows a lot from "flood geology," a movement with suspect cultish origins
One more note, to preempt questions, this is well documented in The Creationists by Ronald Numbers. https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674023390

It is written by a secular religious historian but I think it does a fair job of talking about the movement. It does not focus on Ken Ham but on flood geology as a whole, though Ham does come up.

The light from some stars has been traveling longer than the universe has been in existence. If the universe is 6,000 years old, then the light from some stars shouldn't have arrived yet. Ham actually acknowledges the problem but he just ignores it.
There is no way to know that the light has been traveling longer than the universe has been in existence. Measurements of the speed of light do not tell the whole story. You say in your other response that it is ad hoc. I would respond that it doesn't seem to be any more ad hoc than the acknowledgment that Adam and Eve were created as adults with the appearance of age, yet being seconds old. The other common objection (which you have not voiced) that this would constitute a deception on God's part hardly holds water, since it is an argument from the silence of Scripture. We don't know what God told Adam about the appearance of age. We can deduce from God's establishment of the stars for signs and seasons that God told Adam at least that. There is no problem here. The most reasonable and simple solution is that God created the stars with their light already reaching earth. This is at least hinted at in the text of Scripture already. If you think this is just ad hoc, then please answer how it is that the stars could be created with God already and immediately giving them the rule of the calendar, which implies immediate visibility.

There is no way to know that the light has been traveling longer than the universe has been in existence. Measurements of the speed of light do not tell the whole story

I'm fairly certain astronomers actually have equations and ways to make that argument. I wouldn't dare go further on that ground since I know my limitations.
You say in your other response that it is ad hoc. I would respond that it doesn't seem to be any more ad hoc than the acknowledgment that Adam and Eve were created as adults with the appearance of age, yet being seconds old.

Adam and Eve etc aren't ad hoc, because the bible actually hones in on that area.
The other common objection (which you have not voiced) that this would constitute a deception on God's part hardly holds water, since it is an argument from the silence of Scripture.

I'm familiar with it. I wouldn't say starlight is a deception, only an inconcistency in Christian justifications of science.

Jacob, there is no way to measure and tot up equations to decide between the two options of God having created the light already reaching earth versus the stars being billions of years old. Both explanations explain the data on this one point. My point is that science is not equipped to answer the question. And yes, I get that from my family, packed as it is with Ph.D. scientists. You did not attempt to answer my last argument:
If you think this is just ad hoc, then please answer how it is that the stars could be created with God already and immediately giving them the rule of the calendar, which implies immediate visibility.
You have not demonstrated how this answer is an inconsistency.

I'm fairly certain astronomers actually have equations and ways to make that argument. I wouldn't dare go further on that ground since I know my limitations.

To say that we have light from stars at greater distances than the calculated age of the universe would allow? Inflation is the leading explanation as the diameter of the observable universe would be projected towards 96 billion light years. We do not "see" starlight from stars older than the universe even in secular models. If you see "Methusaleh" in the news, that star's median age is reported at 14.46 billion years old with a lower limit of 13 billion - a lower limit within the estimated age of the universe.
Adam and Eve etc aren't ad hoc, because the bible actually hones in on that area.

Does the Bible hone in on Adam and Eve more than starlight though? The formation, the stretching, etc?

I'm familiar with it. I wouldn't say starlight is a deception, only an inconcistency in Christian justifications of science.

Not true. There are several YEC hypothetical models that allow for God to create stars and on Day 4 and stretch them vast distances away. Lisle's model is testable and falsifiable. So is Hartnett's. If the discovery of gravitational waves by BICEP holds as solid, it seems Lisle will need to tweak but Hartnett's general relativity model will be standing strong. There are also a couple other YEC astrophysicists that published cosmological models that I have yet to read.

"Inconsistency" seems an unwarranted charge to lay here in my opinion.

Does the Bible hone in on Adam and Eve more than starlight though? The formation, the stretching, etc?

Yes, as it actually talks about imago dei. It doesn't say anything about stretching. Such can be deduced, other things being equal, from general revelation.

Maybe. I didn't mean it in an insulting sense. I'm still learning.

Yes, as it actually talks about imago dei. It doesn't say anything about stretching. Such can be deduced, other things being equal, from general revelation.

Maybe. I didn't mean it in an insulting sense. I'm still learning.

Job 9:8; Zech. 12:1

I thought you knew these from Dr. Ross' sections on OEC. He LOVES these verses (and more)

I am relieved to hear you meant no insult. No matter where one lies, every one of these scientists needs to be humble and apply the scientific method without fear or prejudice and YEC has many who fit this bill.

To say that we have light from stars at greater distances than the calculated age of the universe would allow? Inflation is the leading explanation as the diameter of the observable universe would be projected towards 96 billion light years. We do not "see" starlight from stars older than the universe even in secular models. If you see "Methusaleh" in the news, that star's median age is reported at 14.46 billion years old with a lower limit of 13 billion - a lower limit within the estimated age of the universe.

Not true. There are several YEC hypothetical models that allow for God to create stars and on Day 4 and stretch them vast distances away. Lisle's model is testable and falsifiable. So is Hartnett's. If the discovery of gravitational waves by BICEP holds as solid, it seems Lisle will need to tweak but Hartnett's general relativity model will be standing strong. There are also a couple other YEC astrophysicists that published cosmological models that I have yet to read.

Lisle’s theory depends on special relativity, not general.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Prevailing Big Bang cosmology also has starlight and time problems. They don’t have enough time either. Granted, they are “closer” in scale than YEC, but there are still gaps they they have to ad hoc explain as well.

I’m with Lane on this. We live in a post-creation, post-fall world. Many of these questions are simply not in the realm of empirical science. When empirical science tries to tackle them (whether Christian or atheistic), there are always untestable assumptions baked in to the equations. Some are better than others, but there is no way around them.

I know. I referenced Hartnett's general relativity model; not Lisle's.
you said Lisle’s theory would need tweaked with the discovery of gravitational waves. Why would this be problematic for special relativity? I haven’t really thought through it, but it seems measurements of the velocity of gravity would still have limits imposed by special relativity.

Many of these questions are simply not in the realm of empirical science. When empirical science tries to tackle them (whether Christian or atheistic), there are always untestable assumptions baked in to the equations. Some are better than others, but there is no way around them.

I want to be clear here. I do not disagree with this stance in any way, shape or form. I suspect this will always be unanswered, but I do not believe it is a potential "deception" on the part of God or the Bible. I do not believe the cosmological models of Christians hold "inconsistencies" that the secular scientists do not. I believe study of the heavens should not be misused to discount God (as secularists do) nor should the Bible take a back seat ever in this pursuit.

I discern that @RamistThomist was not intending to say these things yet I inferred them and responded as I did.

you said Lisle’s theory would need tweaked with the discovery of gravitational waves. Why would this be problematic for special relativity? I haven’t really thought through it, but it seems measurements of the velocity of gravity would still have limits imposed by special relativity.

They do indeed. And if gravitational waves are detected with a time delay, it seemed problematic for his ASC to me.

(In fairness I originally said "it seems Lisle would have to tweak" allowing for some factor I may be missing).

But when I searched right now, I found Lisle answered this by the fact that incoming gravity waves would be instantaneous and outgoing gravity waves would travel slower.

Jacob, there is no way to measure and tot up equations to decide between the two options of God having created the light already reaching earth versus the stars being billions of years old. Both explanations explain the data on this one point. My point is that science is not equipped to answer the question. And yes, I get that from my family, packed as it is with Ph.D. scientists. You did not attempt to answer my last argument:

You have not demonstrated how this answer is an inconsistency.

I have to agree with Lane here. Someone I know put forward the following analogy:

"As an illustration, think of [if] God created a ball at some point on a long incline. The ball is created, and rolls down the incline. People at the bottom of the incline can measure the speed of the ball, and calculate from the inertia, etc., when it was that the ball was stationary and began to roll, than thus conclude when God created. But they have assumed that God created it stationary. If God created not a stationary ball but a ball already rolling, then the calculations as to when the ball was stationary would conclude a starting point preceding the creation point—a virtual past. God created a world in motion—in motu."

I want to be clear here. I do not disagree with this stance in any way, shape or form. I suspect this will always be unanswered, but I do not believe it is a potential "deception" on the part of God or the Bible. I do not believe the cosmological models of Christians hold "inconsistencies" that the secular scientists do not. I believe study of the heavens should not be misused to discount God (as secularists do) nor should the Bible take a back seat ever in this pursuit.

I discern that @RamistThomist was not intending to say these things yet I inferred them and responded as I did.
With you all the way here.

They do indeed. And if gravitational waves are detected with a time delay, it seemed problematic for his ASC to me.

(In fairness I originally said "it seems Lisle would have to tweak" allowing for some factor I may be missing).

But when I searched right now, I found Lisle answered this by the fact that incoming gravity waves would be instantaneous and outgoing gravity waves would travel slower.

Yes, and so far it can't be answered. Other than Lisle's theory sounding strange on the face of it, the math in SR has to allow for it. And to his credit, when you read why God gave us stars in Genesis 1, there's no reason to say light has to travel away from the earth at the same rate it comes.

Humphrey has some interesting stuff based on GR as well (white hole cosmology).

I have to agree with Lane here. Someone I know put forward the following analogy:

"As an illustration, think of [if] God created a ball at some point on a long incline. The ball is created, and rolls down the incline. People at the bottom of the incline can measure the speed of the ball, and calculate from the inertia, etc., when it was that the ball was stationary and began to roll, than thus conclude when God created. But they have assumed that God created it stationary. If God created not a stationary ball but a ball already rolling, then the calculations as to when the ball was stationary would conclude a starting point preceding the creation point—a virtual past. God created a world in motion—in motu."

I think it's deeper than that as the analogy leaves out the exegetical difficulties in terms of age.

Also, something to think about here: when I was OEC, Lisle challenged me (indirectly as he made a statement in general) that if we had access to Adam and Eve's physical non-infantile forms a couple of days after creation, we would age them visually - I don't know - but certainly more than ~2 days old. Lisle said that if we could have access to their somatic cells, we could see no mutations and age them at about 2 days old microscopically.

I was determined that God could not be deceptive in any way and wanted to see if there was some analogy in the cosmos that would allow evidence that secularists are missing/ are discounting.

Now while I have yet to find any analogous cells that put a forensic sign to a younger cosmos, I do watch with bemused interest at secularists positing an infinite universe of universes - a multi-verse - with no fewer assumptions or lack of mathematical rigor to their hypotheses than God creating the heavens and the earth.

But this theory gets popularized by media! This idea gets to go into the passive consciousness of the everyday man on the street as it gets featured by Marvel movies etc.

We live in a fallen world indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back