Fourth General Editor for NICNT Series Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Joel B. Green, Professor of New Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary, has been named the fourth general editor of the prestigious New International Commentary on the New Testament series of technical commentaries.

The previous three general editors were Ned B. Stonehouse (1946-1962), F. F. Bruce (1962-1990) and Gordon D. Fee (1990-2011).

Just sayin'...

Anyone (here) know anything about him? I love the NICNT/OT, but I wonder what this will do to the series.

Joel Green is a United Methodist pastor, general editor of the Wesley Study Bible and is not a fan of penal substitutionary atonement (as demonstrated by his contribution to a symposium on penal substitution held in the UK a number of years ago). The NICNT has strayed very far from its Reformed roots in the early days.

Joel Green is a United Methodist pastor, general editor of the Wesley Study Bible and is not a fan of penal substitutionary atonement (as demonstrated by his contribution to a symposium on penal substitution held in the UK a number of years ago). The NICNT has strayed very far from its Reformed roots in the early days.

Joel Green clearly rejects penal substitution in his book "Recovering the Scandal of the Cross." I read it in my Systematics class. I'm not a fan of the book. He argues that penal substitution is a development from guilt-based cultures.

In terms of scholarship, he is an outstanding NT scholar, and his Luke commentary is exceptional.

Joel Green clearly rejects penal substitution in his book "Recovering the Scandal of the Cross." I read it in my Systematics class. I'm not a fan of the book. He argues that penal substitution is a development from guilt-based cultures.

In terms of scholarship, he is an outstanding NT scholar, and his Luke commentary is exceptional.

DA Carson's comments in his New Testament Commentary Survey are not altogether positive in regard to Green's Luke commentary.

Green is the quintessential Fuller prof. Broad evangelical background, solid academic pedigree, lots of published work, and a tendency to hold (or at least flirt with) non-evangelical positions.

Heterodoxy de jour anyone? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back