Frame and DKG

Status
Not open for further replies.

InevitablyReformed

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been listening to John Frame's apologetics lectures lately (I downloaded them from itunes to my ipod and listen when I run) and I find that I really kinda like them.

He is always mentioning his book(s) called "Doctrine of the Knowledge of God." Is this a systematic theology or something else? Has anyone read parts of it? Worth it?

Daniel,

I read DKG last summer when I took a DMin course under Frame at RTS-Orlando. That book is a good primer on Frame's tri-perspectivalism as I recall. Frame's Apologetics to the Glory of God is one I recommend.

-Paul

I have been listening to John Frame's apologetics lectures lately (I downloaded them from itunes to my ipod and listen when I run) and I find that I really kinda like them.

He is always mentioning his book(s) called "Doctrine of the Knowledge of God." Is this a systematic theology or something else? Has anyone read parts of it? Worth it?

Daniel,

I read DKG last summer - but on my own, not under the man himself! It's a book on epistemology, and very helpful in his approach to presuppositional philosophy. He's a Van Til student - which is good in my estimation. It's a helpful introduction, and depending on your grip of philosophy prior to reading, an easy or harder read. For those not versed in philosophy, while Frame explains his terms well, the concepts will be new to work with. It's definitely not a Systematic. If you're listening to his lectures, you'll get enough feel for the book to do well in reading it. The lectures follow the book closely, and are supplementally helpful to each other. I liked the book, though at times I still found myself with questions on issues going deeper than his book. But that was last summer, so I may be off in my assessment.

Frame's sys theo, Theology of Lordship, includes the following . . .

The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God, 1987 ISBN 0-87552-262-9
The Doctrine of God, 2002 ISBN 0-87552-263-7
The Doctrine of the Christian Life, 2008 ISBN-13: 9780875527963; available online
The Doctrine of the Word of God, forthcoming

DKG is a good book in many ways, especially in its exposition of the covenantal framework of knowledge and the tools of logic; but it is extremely poor and contrary to the reformed doctrine of revelation in its adherence to theology as application. This relativises the meaning of Scripture to personal usefulness. The book also makes historical theology somewhat meaningless. I say nothing of its perspectivalism because the author has failed to make himself clear as to what bearing the situational perspective has on the authority of Scripture.

What does this mean?:duh:

DKG moves away from the traditional distinction between interpretation and application by denying the objective meaning in the text distinct from what is applicable to meeting human needs. See especially the way in which the author deals with the eighth commandment, and merges the "meaning" of translation, interpretation, formulation and application into "application" -- the use of Scripture to meet some human need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back