Francis Cheynell and a work of King James I on prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Francis Cheynell gave the title of a book by King James I on prayer in Greek, but the title does not show up on EEBO-TCP (as you will see in the below extract). Does anyone know the title of the work in question?

When K. James was to advise Prince Henry how to pray, he did not think it sufficient to leave him to the Church-Liturgy, or to any prayers composed by man; the only Rule of Prayer, saith he, is the Lord’s Prayer: he advised him to study the Psalms of David, because they being composed by a King, he might collect prayers out of them most suitable to his wants, and so he should be enabled to pray according to the occasion; he dissuaded him from following the common ignorant sort, that prays nothing but out of books, for that would breed an uncouth coldness in him towards God: he bids him take heed that he be not over-homely in his expressions, for that would breed a contempt of God: nay he counsels him farther, to pray as his heart moves him, pro re natâ, Reade his 〈 in non-Latin alphabet 〉, pag 151. 152. Let these things be well weighed and considered, and then our fierce men will not term every man a Brownist, who desires to have that Law abrogated by which this Common Prayer book is established and enjoined.

Francis Cheynell, The rise, growth, and danger of Socinianism together with a plain discovery of a desperate design of corrupting the Protestant religion, whereby it appears that the religion which hath been so violently contended for (by the Archbishop of Canterbury and his adherents) is not the true pure Protestant religion, but an hotchpotch of Arminianism, Socinianism and popery: it is likewise made evident, that the atheists, Anabaptists, and sectaries so much complained of, have been raised or encouraged by the doctrines and practises of the Arminian, Socinian and popish party (London: Samuel Gellibrand, 1643), p. 69.

James I. King of England (1566–1625). Βασιλικὸν Δῶρον. Devided into three bookes (Basilicon Doron). 1599; London, 1603.
Francis Cheynell gave the title of a book by King James I on prayer in Greek, but the title does not show up on EEBO-TCP (as you will see in the below extract). Does anyone know the title of the work in question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back