Francis Schaeffer vs. Nancy Pearcey

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
I'm almost finished Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey, and I've enjoyed it pretty well. I'm not sure, however, that it represents much of an advance over Schaeffer. (Then again, I haven't read much Schaeffer, and it's been a while.) Disregarding recent illustrative studies and personal anecdotes, does Pearcey's work exhibit any conceptual advances over Shaeffer's regarding either deconstructing opposing worldviews or clarifying Christian theism?

Last edited:
I decided to give Total Truth a miss since I'd already read Schaeffer not to mention Harry Blamires' Christian Mind.
I'm just starting Saving Leonardo, which sounded as if it really might plug a gap in focussing on attitudes shaped by the "arts" aspect of culture. Hope it will turn out to carry on where Iain Murray's tantalisingly brief Undercover Revolution left off.

While I also am not sure that it represents an advance over Schaeffer, I did find it more accessible - and so have other friends. So, its useful in that way.

Oh no! I've been uncloaked!

But seriously - is that a perception that some people have of Pearcey? That wasn't what I took from her writing at all - but its also been about 5 years (I was early in college when I read it).

Wow thanks everyone, you really cleared up my question...:p.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I read on the google for you thing that she is into the whole intellegient desighn thing, what would Scheaffer's stance have been on that?

I read on the google for you thing that she is into the whole intellegient desighn thing, what would Scheaffer's stance have been on that?

If I remember the general thesis of his book, Genesis in Space and Time, he argued for a historical interpretation of Genesis 1-11. Some excerpts are here.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I hope to do research into that exact question, soon, James; however, for the time being I will leave you with this: Charles Thaxton, who has been influential in the founding of the Intelligent Design movement, studied under Schaeffer at L'Abri. I really want to get in contact with Dr. Thaxton and ask him if he ever discussed ID with Dr. Schaeffer. I'll be sure to let you know if I get an article published or a paper written with more info.

I hope to do research into that exact question, soon, James; however, for the time being I will leave you with this: Charles Thaxton, who has been influential in the founding of the Intelligent Design movement, studied under Schaeffer at L'Abri. I really want to get in contact with Dr. Thaxton and ask him if he ever discussed ID with Dr. Schaeffer. I'll be sure to let you know if I get an article published or a paper written with more info.

I really appreciate that thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back