Francis Woodcock on God’s regard for his own honour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
God is especially regardful of, and above all things tender of his own honour.

He is so, so the Scripture speaks him, Isa. 42. 8. I am the Lord, that is my Name, and my glory will I not give unto another. God will give away any thing but his glory, but by no means will he part with that: nothing else so dear to him, which he will not give away; he’ll part with his only begotten son; he’ll give his holy Spirit, his grace he’ll give away; he will part with heaven and happiness; yea, he’ll give away himself, but yet he will not give away his glory. In this consideration it is, he is called a jealous God, he is jealous of his honour; he loves his creature, I, but he is jealous of his honour, the strongest passion of all other is conversant about his honour.

And no marvel, for this honour and glory of his, is of all things that are the most excellent, His Name alone is excellent, and his glory above the earth and heaven, Psal. 148. 15. Put heaven and earth with all the glories of them in the balance, and let God’s glory only be weighed against them, and that weight of glory pertaining to God, will quickly shew the glory of all the creature to be light and vanity. ...

For more, see Francis Woodcock on God’s regard for his own honour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back