Frankincense, Boswellia sacra

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimV

Puritanboard Botanist
Well it's not much, but given the difficulty of getting the thing even a half inch tall took a mighty effort :) so anyway, my horticultural contribution to the season, except for the grinches out there :) who might want to wait a few months before reading this thread :)

Frankincense comes from the dried sap of this tree, Boswellia sacra. They only grow in a very few, very arid regions where there's lots of dew in the morning but very little water and no frost. Oh, and the soil has to be a degraded limestone, and it must be boiling hot in the summer. So that's why the stuff has been so insanely valuable throughout history, as only, like, the Sultan of Oman gets the best for his personal stash rare. And germination is really bad; only one out of the 5 seeds I bought came up.

It's used for incense of course, and there are medical uses. You wound the tree occasionally to harvest the dried sap, but only after the plant is really old. Anyway, here's what it looks like:

original.jpg

Hmm. evidently my pbase server is acting up. So you can see it here:
http://www.pbase.com/beekeeper/image/140449995

Nice, a favorite aroma. The essential oil has medicinal qualities beyond the aromatic. I use it with coconut oil to assuage Seborrheic dermatitis.

Serious? I'm always on the lookout for legit links to the qualities of the plants I grow. Thanks!

Indeed, have used the essential oil off and on for many years to lessen the effects of dermatitis. With dermatitis, few compounds work well for long. Frankincense does better than most and without side effects. Plus the aroma is heavenly . . .

Just noticed this headline in the London Telegraph:

Frankincense could disappear from church services - Telegraph

Looks like they did their Bible research for the article. 3 wise men? Gift to the newborn baby Jesus?

I am wondering if it will grow in CA outdoors?

I think the winter rains would do them in. It's all I can do to keep the thing alive in the greenhouse :)

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

As long as grapes, grain, and water never become extinct...

What have you been drinking lately Marie, you naughty girl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back