FRCNA Article re: Christmas

• Thread starter Deleted member 12919 by request
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you make of this article and it’s reasoning?

I am assuming this is more than 20 years old from the dates mentioned, so not necessary current. The article maximizes the paganism argument and nowhere mentions the reformers' and presbyterians' "monument of idolatry" argument. As for his argument from Wdfpw's fast and feast days, why can we do that and not observe the events of Christ's life? it is because there are biblical precepts for the former and not the latter.

The article also does not interact with the fact that these Dort appointed days were not meant to be other than voluntary and for a time according to Voetius; that they came about through imposition of magistrates and stubborn people according to him.

I am assuming this is more than 20 years old from the dates mentioned, so not necessary current. The article maximizes the paganism argument and nowhere mentions the reformers' and presbyterians' "monument of idolatry" argument. As for his argument from Wdfpw's fast and feast days, why can we do that and not observe the events of Christ's life? it is because there are biblical precepts for the former and not the latter.
The article also does not interact with the fact that these Dort appointed days were not meant to be other than voluntary and for a time according to Voetius; that they came about through imposition of magistrates and stubborn people according to him.
Thank you for your input. I’m not trying to argue their point; I’m curious about the counter-argument.

Thank you for your input. I’m not trying to argue their point; I’m curious about the counter-argument.
I didn't think you were; your OP asked for opinion of the article and I gave it a look and gave my thoughts of it. See under Gillespie on holidays and the rule for purging idolatry at this link for the Presbyterian case:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back