Free Kindle David Platt Book Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy,
There might be something good in there, but you have to be discerning. David Platt's radio show is called "Radical", urging folks to live a radical life. I think there is a measure that this detracts from the gospel; that God saves non-radical, non-Law-keeping idiots like me, apart from my particular motivational level at any given point.....:2cents:

I haven't read it, but I know I ought to, so I just downloaded it. Radical (the book) gave me some concerns for much the same reason Greg mentioned above. But Platt has also said some very helpful and necessary things about conversion, especially regarding children in the church, so I ought to keep up what he's writing.

The church my family attends has a midweek dinner and classes for children and adults and the class I'm in is a 1 Timothy study using David Platt's recorded lessons from back when he was still pastor at The Church at Brook Hill. Though it has been edifying in many ways and I appreciate his passion, I've grown rather fatigued by the calls to do everything radically. Last night's lesson was on 1 Timothy 6:6-10 focusing on the love of money and he encouraged everyone to radically live this out by basically giving away all they have to missions and live day to day like a monastic. I exaggerate, but not by much. I felt it was an unbalanced lesson. The ensuing discussions among those who watched the video revealed feelings of guilt and shame for not living "radically" in the way he was calling people to.

Jimmy,
There might be something good in there, but you have to be discerning. David Platt's radio show is called "Radical", urging folks to live a radical life. I think there is a measure that this detracts from the gospel; that God saves non-radical, non-Law-keeping idiots like me, apart from my particular motivational level at any given point.....:2cents:
Thanks for the heads up. As noted in the OP, I'm not familiar with the author. This morning before I posted I did do a search for 'Platt' on PB and came up with some brief mention, but nothing absolutely defining him one way or the other. I'll read with discernment.

I've thought a good bit about this stuff the last several years. I used to very much resonate with Piper's criticism of the retired couple collecting sea shells and his abhorrence for white picket fences. Well, two things happened. One was that I got married and started having kids. The other was I read a book by Zack Eswine called Sensing Jesus. He challenges our notions; how we tend to link doing the "extraordinary" with godliness and living in the "ordinary" as not living a full life. He talked about how things were in the garden at the beginning with Adam and Eve: “They ate food. They cared for animals. They planted seeds. . .They needn't be anything other than who they were, nowhere other than where they were, and possessing nothing more than what they had for God to be glorified by their lives. God was enough. . .Nothing more was needed. . .Holding hands, mowing the lawn, resisting foul temptations, and learning to love the one who created them was enough for a significant life.” This was pretty powerful for me. I am a "Christian worker" in South Asia, living among the largest UPG in the world. Is that radical? Maybe. But does that automatically glorify God? No way. What glorifies God is loving radically in the midst of the ordinary--wherever that happens to be.

Last edited:
I think Radical is a good kick in the teeth for many American Christians. If you feel kicked in the teeth, maybe you ought to assess why the book bothers you so much.

I see what you all are saying, but.... For a lot of us, we really could be living more wisely, more devoted to the Lord, and more loving towards people. As well, God has entrusted His work in this world to His people. This is a big responsibility. The scriptures are full of very radical commissions and calls for all Christians. I don't think we can ignore them or make light of them. This takes much examination of the scriptures and our own lives. After this life is over, we will all have to give an account for how we lived and what we did with what we were given.

I fully agree with the need to examine our hearts in these things. Since we're on the topic of books, I have had my eye on this new release at Reformation Heritage Books. Looks like a gem. Watchfulness: Recovering a Lost Spiritual Discipline

With regards to Platt, this is a low blow of sorts, but I wonder how many people in the SBC followed his call to give "radically" to Christ's Church only to see a portion of their offerings redirected to support the Islamic Society of Basking Ridge, N.J.'s legal case to build a mosque? Here and here. Yes, we will all have to give an account for how we lived and what we did with what we were given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back