Free Online Seminary Courses from RTS in .mp3 format

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
(We've featured a couple of these at a time before and Jacob Aitken pointed out to me last night that even more were added, so I thought it would be a good idea to post a comprehensive list here with directions)

Exciting Times! RTS (Reformed Theological Seminary) has just released 18 courses online for free. They are all .mp3 files that can be downloaded from iTunes. Professors from the Charlotte, Orlando, and Jackson campuses are all represented below.

The professors below are all faithful, phenomenal men. If you have a desire to go deeper in any of these areas here is your chance. I think it would even be a cool idea if enough people were interested in the same course to start up a casual discussion group working through them a lecture at a time...but that may just be the theological nerd in me coming out.

In order to download these follow the steps below.
1. Be sure you have iTunes installed (yes it's an Apple product...can't win them all)
2. If you don't have it installed, go to: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and follow the steps. If you need help, give me a call and I can help you walk through it.
3. Go to http://www.rts.edu
4. Under the middle portion of the screen that has Courses for Download, click on the "Click for Free Resources" graphic.
5. Under the Launch RTS on iTunes U section, click on the "Click to Launch ITunes" graphic.
6. ITunes will launch and go to the iTunes Store
7. Click on one of the categories (OT, NT, CH, T)
8. Select the course
9. Click on "Get Tracks" at the top and it will begin downloading the whole course.
10. Repeat for every course desired.

Enjoy!

Old Testament
Genesis through Joshua - 29 lectures - Dr. Richard Pratt, Jr.
Isaiah through Malachi - 34 lectures - Dr. Richard Belcher, Jr.

New Testament
Gospel and Acts - 48 lectures - Dr. Knox Chamblin
Pauline Epistles - 47 lectures - Dr. Knox Chamblin
Hebrews through Revelation - 45 lectures - Dr. Simon Kistemaker

Church History
History of Christianity I - 32 lectures - Dr. Frank James
History of Christianity II - 30 lectures - Dr. Frank James
The Church and the World - 27 lectures - Dr. W. Andrew Hoffecker
History of Missions - 35 lectures - Dr. Sam Larsen

Theology
Intro to Pastoral and Theological Studies - 23 lectures - Dr. Richard Pratt, Jr.
Theological Foundations - 24 lectures - Dr. Derek Thomas
Systematic Theology I - 38 lectures - Dr. Douglas Kelly
Systematic Theology II - 20 lectures - Dr. Douglas Kelly
Systematic Theology III - 38 lectures - Dr. Douglas Kelly
History of Philosophy and Christian Thought - 36 lectures - Dr. John Frame
Pastoral and Social Ethics - 42 lectures - Dr. John Frame
Christian Apologetics - 26 lectures - Dr. John Frame
C.S. Lewis - 26 lectures - Dr. Knox Chamblin

These are very cool. I downloaded the History of Missions to my iPod and have been listening to it.

wow! I can't believe this is available. People, don't pass up this opportunity! I'm going to download these as soon as I get home.

Great! Thanks. :) Now . . if only the Learning Company would follow their example . . . :think: (the "free" part, I mean)

:amen::amen:
When I found out about this, I immediately said a prayer to bless RTS and the people responsible for offering these. I have been putting off going to seminary for a long time for financial reasons and have been using all of the free material that I could find on the web, but not many of these sources offer this level of training. I am going to immediately tell all of my Christian friends about these treasures.

Free materials like these may very well spark a revival in this nation, if only Christians would use these kinds of things instead of going home and turning on the zombie tube.

Glory be to God!

what's the difference between clicking "get tracks" and "subscribe?"

Get tracks will manually just dl the files to you puter for general use. Subscribing will bring the headers for the files into iTunes to be dl'd whenever you want them. This is more useful if you 'subscribe' to a daily program. iTunes will auto dl the files for you if you are subscribed.

Great! Thanks. :) Now . . if only the Learning Company would follow their example . . . :think: (the "free" part, I mean)

I love The Learning Company. I listen to a number of sets a year. I get their stuff for free, through the library and inter-library loan. It can take a little longer, but the free part makes it worth it.

I love The Learning Company. I listen to a number of sets a year. I get their stuff for free, through the library and inter-library loan. It can take a little longer, but the free part makes it worth it.
I listened to an entire lecture series, checked-out from the local library, on a trip visiting my parents. It sure redeems all that travel time! ;)

I took Church and World with Hoffecker, it was really good.

It is great for learning about the enlightenment to our day and seeing all of those characteristics that come from those eras of thought in today's thinking.

Each time I attempt to download lectures I get an error after one or two has downloaded saying that my connection has timed out. Has anyone else received this error?

I listened to an entire lecture series, checked-out from the local library, on a trip visiting my parents. It sure redeems all that travel time! ;)

What have you listened to? I always appreciate running into another Teaching Company fan. I have been greatly enriched by their stuff. I am fortunate that my local library also has about 30 or 40 sets in its collection.

Here are the ones I have listened to. The numbers are a rating on a scale of 1-10.

• Edward Larson, Evolution, the History of a Controversy – 9
• History of Ancient Rome - 9
• Rome and the Barbarians -8
• Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic Age - 4
• Jeremy McInerney, Ancient Greek Civilization. - 4
• Europe and the Wars of Religion - 4
• Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battles over Authentication - 1
• Kenneth Harl, The Crusades - 7
• History of Science in the Twentieth Century – part 1 - 7
• Phillip Daileader – The Early Middle Ages - 9
• Phillip Daileader – The High Middle Ages - 9
• Willard Spiegelman, How to Read and Understand Poetry – 2
• David Zarefsky, Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, 2nd Edition – 3
• Conquest of the Americas - 7
• Kenneth Harl, Age of the Vikings - 8
• History of the Papacy - 7
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Odyssey of Homer - 9
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Iliad of Homer - 9
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Classical mythology (1st half only) – 6
• Childers, World War II – A Military and Social History – 9
• Greenberg, Music - 4
• Childers, History of Hitler’s Empire – 7
• Dale Hoak, Age of Henry VIII -7

What have you listened to? I always appreciate running into another Teaching Company fan. I have been greatly enriched by their stuff. I am fortunate that my local library also has about 30 or 40 sets in its collection.
Wow, you've listened to quite a lot! I've only listened to one on Ancient Greek Civilization (probably the same one you listened to). I'll have to use your rated list to pick the next ones I listen to.

I have a somewhat trivial question. Is Dr. Richard Belcher, Jr. the son of Richard Belcher, Sr., Baptist pastor and retired professor at Columbia International Seminary? I think he's the owner of the website Timeless Texts.

I had the pleasure, many years ago, to preach for the senior Belcher when he was pastor of FBC, Washington Park, Illinois.

Tell me whatchu want Trevor and I will gladly send you cds full of mp3 files. Oh yeah, and PM your address to me. It would be a privilege.

Pratt's lectures alone are worth the price of admission....and there isn't even a price for admission! :D

Here are the ones I have listened to. The numbers are a rating on a scale of 1-10.

• Edward Larson, Evolution, the History of a Controversy – 9
• History of Ancient Rome - 9
• Rome and the Barbarians -8
• Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic Age - 4
• Jeremy McInerney, Ancient Greek Civilization. - 4
• Europe and the Wars of Religion - 4
• Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battles over Authentication - 1
• Kenneth Harl, The Crusades - 7
• History of Science in the Twentieth Century – part 1 - 7
• Phillip Daileader – The Early Middle Ages - 9
• Phillip Daileader – The High Middle Ages - 9
• Willard Spiegelman, How to Read and Understand Poetry – 2
• David Zarefsky, Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, 2nd Edition – 3
• Conquest of the Americas - 7
• Kenneth Harl, Age of the Vikings - 8
• History of the Papacy - 7
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Odyssey of Homer - 9
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Iliad of Homer - 9
• Elizabeth Vandiver, Classical mythology (1st half only) – 6
• Childers, World War II – A Military and Social History – 9
• Greenberg, Music - 4
• Childers, History of Hitler’s Empire – 7
• Dale Hoak, Age of Henry VIII -7

Jeffrey L. Kasser, Philosophy of Science -- Very good intro to the subject, especially helpful with apologetics.

Tell me whatchu want Trevor and I will gladly send you cds full of mp3 files. Oh yeah, and PM your address to me. It would be a privilege.
I am happy to help too. Just let me know what you want, in what format, and the like.

Scott

For those having trouble try closing internet explorer and iTunes and try again. It took me a few days off and on to get them all but I eventually suceeded.

If at first you don't suceed, try, try again.
:D

What is the Learning Company?
They sell recorded lecture series, normally from prominent professors in their particular field. So, if you want to learn about economics, you can buy a course on economics . . they've got stuff in philosophy, history, the sciences, all sort of things. Great for long car trips!

EDIT: Actually, I mean the Teaching Company

Thanks for posting this Chris. I've already downloaded a number of the lectures. :cheers:

What is the Learning Company?
You can get the materials free from the library too. If your library does not have a set you want, use interlibrary loan and they will find it for you. I have done this with several sets. You can look at their selection here. I listen to them all the time. Many are great and some are not worth listening to. You can see my ratings of the ones I have had above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back