Free or Very Affordable Bible Software Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Puritan Board Sophomore
I would like to start using a Bible Software on my MacBook Pro to help with my seminary studies. Other than needing the software to work with Mac I also need it to be free or very close to free. I know the purchase options (which are out of my budget) are LOGOS, Accordance, and Bible Works; but what are the free options? What do you recommend? What do you use? Along with the recommendations where can I get add ons for the program you recommend?

Tim

Puritan Board Graduate
E-Sword is free, and I see now that there is an option to install this on Mac or Linux systems. Add-ins are easily found on the website or via Google search.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
E-Sword is free, and I see now that there is an option to install this on Mac or Linux systems. Add-ins are easily found on the website or via Google search.

:ditto:

ESWORD is great, however, I am not a seminary student. You can also download extra content for free.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
If you use e-Sword, be sure to check out the following sites:

e-Sword Downloads - Bible Support
What's New

There are thousands of solid resources available for free. For instance, the second link is featuring a Brakel's masterful The Christian's Reasonable Service (4 vols). You can't get any better than that . . . for free! BTW, it is also available for theWord (only available for PC, but also free).

Christopher88

Puritan Board Sophomore
John,
I would put away money for Logos. They have lower end versions which you can add to it latter. Logos really is a worth while spent software.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
The advantage of e-Sword is that you can have access to valuable volumes such as a Brakel, Warfield, Hodge, Dabney, hundreds of valuable commentaries, etc. And, they are all searchable!

I love my Logos and have tons of unlocks. But, for a quick study, some of the free programs are much faster and . . . did I mention it . . . FREE!

jgilberAZ

Puritan Board Freshman
I just loaded MacSword, so I'm not totally familiar with it. But, it looks good from what I've seen so far.

Re: eSword, I just used it to read .. not take notes or anything.

Re: getting it to work ... you've got to download modules, which you can do from within MacSword, itself.

It wasn't difficult for me to get working ... but I'm a computer geek. :)

JP Wallace

Puritan Board Sophomore
The problem with most free software (as far as I know) is that most or all of the Hebrew texts are unpointed which will make them limited in usefulness for a seminary student.

I use Bibleworks running on my Macbook using Wine. I'd be happy with Accordance but I just happen to have Bibleworks from my PC days. Logos is fine but is more about books than textual work in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.