Free Reformed Churches of North America??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that any Presbyterians, or non-dutch person would feel comfortable in these churches.
I'm a presbyterian, and from what I know of the Free Reformed Churches, I believe I would feel quite at home worshipping along side those Bretheren.

Don't be quick to blame Dutch ethnicity. I know of Baptist and Anglican congregations where all the men wear dark suits and conservative ties. Women wearing hats in Church was the universal 50 years ago, not just for conservative dutch reformed but also for mainstream Presbyterians and Episcopalians. In some [a minority] continuing Anglican Churches the women still all wear hats as a symbolic head covering. Today, in some of these same congregations; if a man showed up wearing blue denim jeans and a purple tie he would be viewed with suspicion. Is he an Episcopalian spy?!

As for elders ONLY wearing black. I saw navy blue once or twice.

They were the liberals ;)

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

I think I know who that was! However, my congregation is FAR more conservative than the Grand Rapids congregation and I can assure you that none of my brother elders (or anyone else for that matter) would ever do such a thing. It is impolite, and a non essential.

He was a nice chap. I wasn't offended. I'm just glad he didn't ask if I was gay for wearing tight jeans (and not light super tight, just nice jeans).

Don't be quick to blame Dutch ethnicity. I know of Baptist and Anglican congregations where all the men wear dark suits and conservative ties. Women wearing hats in Church was the universal 50 years ago, not just for conservative dutch reformed but also for mainstream Presbyterians and Episcopalians.
This seems to carry the idea that women wearing headcoverings is a matter of ethnicity. It is a matter of a RPW view on 1 Cor 11. This would be the reason one would see Reformed Denominations historically adhering to the practice. This is totally separate from any issues of ethnicity.

They are a small Dutch Reformed denomination that as far as I know still adheres faithfully to the Three Forms of Unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back