"Full of the Holy Spirit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sastark

Puritan Board Graduate
Last week, at our midweek Bible study, we covered the death and burial of Stephen (Acts 7:54-8:4). Acts 7:55 reads, "But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God," A discussion ensued concerning Stephen being "full of the Holy Spirit". Some thought Stephen was "more" full of the Holy Spirit at that moment, and that we, likewise can have moments when we are "more" full of the Holy Spirit than at other times. For example, one person stated that when he is speeding on the highway, cutting people off, he doesn't think he is "full of the Holy Spirit." I maintained that Christians are full of the Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:18), but that there remains a war between the flesh and the Spirit (Romans 7 and 8).

We were over our time, and the conversation had not ended, so I offered to present a brief study on being full of the Holy Spirit at this week's study. I am wondering if anyone on the Board has any thoughts they would like to contribute to "being full of the Holy Spirit" and any texts I can add to my list (which is longer than just the two passages I cited above)? Specifically, is a Christian "full of the Holy Spirit" like Stephen was, or do we have moments when we are "full-er" of the Holy Spirit?

If you have Alan Cairns' Dictionary of Theological Terms I think you could profitably consult his article on the filling/fulness of the Holy Spirit. He distinguishes three ways in which he believes Scripture speaks about being full of the Holy Spirit, and even if his view is unconvincing to you, it might help to advance the discussion by drawing some clear distinctions.

If you have Alan Cairns' Dictionary of Theological Terms I think you could profitably consult his article on the filling/fulness of the Holy Spirit. He distinguishes three ways in which he believes Scripture speaks about being full of the Holy Spirit, and even if his view is unconvincing to you, it might help to advance the discussion by drawing some clear distinctions.

I do not have this book, and it appears it is not in the Biola Library either. It wouldn't be available online somewhere, would it?

The Holy Spirit indwells the believer and will never leave him, but sometimes - e.g. because of sin - He withdraws His "felt" presence.

E.g. the Holy Spirit had withdrawn His felt presence from David so much that David feared he would lose the Spirit altogether.

Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. (Ps 51:11)

When a person is filled with the Holy Spirit, they will not be so much taken up with the Holy Spirit or the subject or object of the Holy Spirit, but with Christ and the Father.

E.g.
"But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me. (John 15:26)

He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you. (John 16:14-15)

In line with what Richard said, believers can (wrongly) quench the Holy Spirit in their lives (1 Thes. 5:19).

Thats a really great question... I make no claim of being a theologian, but here are a few thoughts that come to mind.

It does seem that in scripture the specific phraseology "full/filled with the Holy Spirit" is generally used in connection with rather extraordinary events or people (Acts 2:4, 7:55, 11:24).

On the other hand, all believers are told to "be filled with the Holy Spirit" (Eph. 5:18). The verb here for "be filled" is in the imperative mood, which, along with the immediate context, would seem to imply that while they can and should always be in such a state, there may be times when those being addressed in fact aren't (ala 1 Thes. 5:19?).

Having said this, I agree with Richard that the Holy Spirit continually indwells all those who believe, and will never leave them (Acts 2:38; John 14:16, 17).

Again, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
I think filling and quenching of the Spirit might be what the SC refers to as 'increase of grace' in Q 36.

Would it be wrong to think of "filling" in terms of effectiveness vs. quantity (I can't think of another term than effective. I do know that the HS due to being the Third Person is completely effective).

John Owen on "being filled with the Holy Spirit":

There is nothing so unaccountable as the multiplicity of thoughts of the minds of men. They fall from them like the leaves of trees when they are shaken with the wind in autumn. To have all these thoughts, all the several figments of the heart, all the conceptions that are framed and agitated in the mind, to be evil, and that continually, what a hell of horror and confusion must it needs be! A deliverance from this loathsome, hateful state is more to be valued than the whole world. Without it neither life, nor peace, nor immortality, nor glory, can ever be attained.

The design of conviction is to put a stop unto these thoughts, to take off from their number, and thereby to lessen their guilt. It deserves not the name of conviction of sin which respects only outward actions, and regards not the inward actings of the mind; and this alone will for a season make a great change in the thoughts, especially it will do so when assisted by superstition, directing them unto other objects. These two in conjunction are the rise of all that devotional religion which is in the Papacy. Conviction labours to put some stop and bounds unto thoughts absolutely evil and corrupt, and superstition suggests other objects for them, which they readily embrace; but it is a vain attempt. The minds and hearts of men are continually minting and coining new thoughts and imaginations; the cogitative faculty is always at work. As the streams of a mighty river running into the ocean, so are the thoughts of a natural man, and through self they run into hell. It is a fond thing to set a dam before such a river, to curb its streams. For a little space there may be a stop made, but it will quickly break down all obstacles or overflow all its bounds. There is no way to divert its course but only by providing other channels for its waters, and turning them thereinto. The mighty stream of the evil thoughts of men will admit of no bounds or dams to put a stop unto them. There are but two ways of relief from them, the ope respecting their moral evil, the other their natural abundance. The first [is,] by throwing salt into the spring, as Elisha cured the waters of Jericho,—that is, to get the heart and mind seasoned with grace; for the tree must be made good before the fruit will be so. The other is, to turn their streams into new channels, putting new aims and ends upon them, fixing them on new objects: so shall we abound in spiritual thoughts; for abound in thoughts we shall, whether we will or no.

To this purpose is the advice of the apostle, Eph. 5:18, 19, " Be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs/' When men are drunk with wine unto an excess, they make it quickly evident what vain, foolish, ridiculous imaginations it filleth their minds withal. In opposition hereunto the apostle adviseth believers to be " filled with the Spirit,"—to labour for such a participation of him as may fill their minds and hearts, as others fill themselves with wine. To what end, unto what purpose, should they desire such a participation of him, to be so filled with him? It is unto this end, namely, that he by his grace may fill them with holy, spiritual thoughts, as, on the contrary, men drunk unto an excess are filled with those that are foolish, vain, and wicked. So the words of verse 19 do declare; for he adviseth us to express our abounding thoughts in such duties as will give an especial vent unto them.

Wherefore, when we are spiritually minded, we shall abound in spiritual thoughts, or thoughts of spiritual things. That we have such thoughts will not sufficiently evidence that we are so, unless we abound in them. And this leads us unto the principal inquiry on this head, namely, what measure we ought to assign hereof, how we may know when we abound in spiritual thoughts, so as that they may be an evidence of our being spiritually minded.

(The Grace and Duty of Being Spiritually Minded, 1.4 [Works, 7:299f])​

The filling of the Holy Spirit has to do with being under the control of the Holy Spirit. In Ephesians 5, Paul makes a contrast between being drunk and being filled with the Holy Spirit. Instead of being under the control of alcohol, we should be under the control of the Holy Spirit.

In Acts 4:31, Peter and John were filled with the Holy Spirit and they began to speak the word of God. In Acts 5:2, Peter asked Ananias why Satan filled her heart so that he lied to the Holy Spirit. Does the word "filled" in Acts 5:2 have the same idea as "filled" in Acts 4:31?

"Joy Unspeakable" by LLoyd-Jones may be the definitve work on this. I think he covers every reference to filling, sealing, baptizing, etc with the Holy Spirit. Great book, and will really convict you to seek God in prayer for a fuller life with the Holy Spirit.

It would seem from an exegetical standpoint contextually speaking that this term "full of the Holy Spirit" is indicative of not only Stephen but of others in the Book of Acts characterizing their lives as believers. It certainly may be an issue within Lukes' narrative that he may have a different meaning than that used in the Pauline epistles. Any thoughts?

Respectfully Yours,
Tom Michnay
Port Clinton, Ohio

Tom, there are certainly numerous instances in Acts where individuals or even whole groups are described as being "full of the Holy Spirit" (Stephen in Acts 6:5 and 7:55; Peter in Acts 4:8; Paul in Acts 13:9; Barnabas in Acts 11:44; the seven men chosen as deacons in Acts 6:3; "the disciples" in Acts 13:52). I'm not sure about there being a different meaning in Luke's writings as compared to Paul's, but, I think you are correct that being "full of the Holy Spirit" is a term used to characterize the life of a believer. That is: I would argue that all Christians are "full of the Holy Spirit."

I think you are correct that being "full of the Holy Spirit" is a term used to characterize the life of a believer. That is: I would argue that all Christians are "full of the Holy Spirit."

I think you should read the Lloyd-Jones book I mentioned above, Joy Unspeakable. Your position falters when examined against the book of Acts and other NT passages.

To be fair, he comes down just as hard on Pentecostals/charismatics who think they have one distinct separate experience (usually with tongues) and now think that's it, they are full of the HS. He make a strong case for the third option- a lifetime of repeated outpourings/fillings. I can't do justice to it here, the man was a marvelous preacher and the book is a collection of sermons. A lot of church history in there too. We are all too accepting of our own status quo; he implores us to be praying for another revival on the scale of the Reformation.

Reformed believers believe that the baptism with/by the Holy Spirit happens once at regeneration. That is when Christ baptises us with the Holy Spirit into Himself. The reason it was delayed until Pentecost with the disciples, is because Christ couldn't baptise them into Himself and all that He is for us, with/by the Spirit, until He had gone to the Father.

Is there a connection between fulness of the Spirit/lack of fulness of the Spirit, and great faith/smallness of faith, and assurance/lack of assurance.

Smallness of faith is sometimes mentioned by our Lord of e.g. the disciples. Reformed Christians have known the spiritual transformation that happens when they get assurance of faith. Thomas Goodwin described it as a new conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back