Funniest Slip Up From Pulpit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hI:

in talking about resisting evil I once said, "if someone walks up to you and sticks a gun in your ribs and says, 'your money or your wife'..."

Blessings,

Rob

hI:

in talking about resisting evil I once said, "if someone walks up to you and sticks a gun in your ribs and says, 'your money or your wife'..."

Blessings,

Rob

Years ago, I listened to a sermon in which the minister spoke of wandering sheep in his native Scotland, intending a metaphor... He said that sheep would wander onto crofts, or outlooks, over the sea. They would hear their master's voice, but, being stupid, they could not reach them. Eventually, the sheep would be marooned on the outlooks, grow thin for lack of food and eventually a wind would blow them off the cliffs, like woolly kites. They'd sail around for awhile and then drop right into the sea... "Picture it," he said. I did, and I lost it. So did the 82-year-old lady sitting next to me. By the time the sermon was over, we were both biting our cheeks hard and had tears rolling down our cheeks from squelching laughter.

Another time, in the last year or two, my husband and I were attending a 6 p.m. Lord's Day church service in Grand Rapids (not Heritage). We were tired; it had been a very long day. My eyes were sore and so I closed them for a minute. All of a sudden, I realized that the minister sounded a whole lot like the late comedian Foster Brooks and I started to chuckle to myself. In order to "sober" myself up, I wrote a note on my bulletin to Richard sitting next to me, "This guy sounds like Foster Brooks." I expected him to do as he ordinarily does, scold me with a look and stop my chuckling in its tracks. Instead, I looked over at him and his shoulders were shaking. Oh, no! He was laughing, too; when I looked at his face, he was clearly trying to keep a lid on it. The minister "hiccuped" on for another 20 minutes and R. and I just got worse. He wrote on my bulletin, "How do we get out of here? Drop to the floor and do a low-crawl to the door?" And that's just about what we did. I'm sure the people around us weren't amused.

Sometimes I wish I had a less vivid imagination. :lol:

I don't know if it's exactly funny but when John MacArthur was doing one of his sermons on killing sin he referenced MTV a couple times by saying MPV.

One of my dear pastors was preaching on work and laziness from Proverbs when he warned us not to be a "potato couch." Many of us snickered, though our pastor was apparently unaware of what he said. After the sermon, my girlfriend, who unbeknownst to me was watching the sermon online in FL, asked to be sure I wasn't being a potato couch. What a love, right? So anyway, the next Sunday my dear pastor stood up to preach and, in his typical sense of humor, explained to us that he meant to say potato couch, which of course is what is created by a couch potato: a couch covered in potato chip crumbs and smears. The ridiculousness of his faux-explanation and his reanactment of how a "potato couch" is created had us all laughing pretty hard, especially since we all knew that he did not mean to say "potato couch." :)

I like the the sermon where the pastor asked how many animals of each species Moses took on the ark with him.

One of my young associates once did a welcome and informed people: "Thank you for coming to worship us this morning."

Another fellow thought he was being clever and colloquial until his extemporaneity got him caught up in this disaster: "If Jesus knew about X, Y, and Z, it would cause him to turn over in his grave."

Last edited:
In my preaching class at SBTS, I once prayed before beginning the sermon, "Lord, let this be concise." I have no idea what was going through my mind to say that... :)

In my preaching class at SBTS, I once prayed before beginning the sermon, "Lord, let this be concise." I have no idea what was going through my mind to say that... :)

Concise is good, as well as precise! You all don't get a long time to preach, from what I've heard!

Concise is good, as well as precise! You all don't get a long time to preach, from what I've heard!

That's true! One of my favorite things about being a pastor is that I get to preach as long as I want to...or at least until people start quietly getting up and slipping out the back door... J/K

I know a dear pastor who always refers to Deuteronomy as Deuterominy (like hominy).....I couldn't help but snicker one time....

After reading this yesterday, I thought, my pastor needs to preach through Deuteronomy sometime! It really is a quite "evangelical" book, if you know what I mean!

Then, this morning in Sunday School, he said, "I've been reading through Deuteronomy in my daily devotions, and I keep thinking, I really want to preach on this! So, I'm thinking that I may do just that when we get through Job."

I was talking to rbcbob afterwards, and I told him about that, but the funny thing is...I suddenly couldn't pronounce Deuteronomy!!!!

I have a friend who was visiting to preach at the church we were members of at the time. He chose to read Psalm 51. The conclusion of the Psalm is 'Then shall I offer bullocks on thine altar' (AV). He said 'bullocks' wrong. An 'o' instead of a 'u'. In english slang (not sure about American english) that is a crude expression for male genitals.

It was funny. But we did not laugh until we got home.:lol:

In public prayer I was praying through the titles of God and when I got to judge I said ''Great God judge judy'' by mistake.

This was my own slip-up but it wasn't from the pulpit. Pentecostals often times will "preach" with the preacher. This is when they say things like, "Amen!", "All right!" "Talk to me!", etc. while the minister is preaching. I now see how distracting and unnecessary this practice is, but as a young Pentecostal, I would often do it with great enthusiasm. One time during a sermon on Romans 6:23, the pastor proclaimed, "Ahh, yes, the wages of sin is death...BUT..." He paused to emphasize the conjunction letting us know there was more to the verse. At that point, I was into the sermon so I blurted out loud, "Oh, I love but!" Several people laughed, including the pastor and I just turned red.

It's not from a sermon, but this past March our bulletins said to adjust our clocks back an hour. Our pastor drew attention to it, smiled and said, "Bad idea."

This was my own slip-up but it wasn't from the pulpit. Pentecostals often times will "preach" with the preacher. This is when they say things like, "Amen!", "All right!" "Talk to me!", etc. while the minister is preaching. I now see how distracting and unnecessary this practice is, but as a young Pentecostal, I would often do it with great enthusiasm. One time during a sermon on Romans 6:23, the pastor proclaimed, "Ahh, yes, the wages of sin is death...BUT..." He paused to emphasize the conjunction letting us know there was more to the verse. At that point, I was into the sermon so I blurted out loud, "Oh, I love but!" Several people laughed, including the pastor and I just turned red.

I could see the color going to deep red.........:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back