Funny but not so funny parody of modern worship. It gave me flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of people who go to churches like this––receiving scant teaching, but getting pumped up as a result of all the loud music, lights, etc. They mistake psychological manipulation for the move of the Holy Spirit.

As an aside, the guy playing the "pastor/motivational speaker" looks a lot like Jon Stewart.

I know a lot of people who go to churches like this––receiving scant teaching, but getting pumped up as a result of all the loud music, lights, etc. They mistake psychological manipulation for the move of the Holy Spirit.

As an aside, the guy playing the "pastor/motivational speaker" looks a lot like Jon Stewart.

Exactly! I sat under this type of "church" for almost 25 yrs. They pegged it spot on in this parody.

This video has gone viral among worship leaders in the 'contemporary' church. If you notice who produced it you can see why. Good things are beginning to happen in some of these churches. They are realising how vapid and man-centered their worship has become.

Exactly! I sat under this type of "church" for almost 25 yrs. They pegged it spot on in this parody.

If you go to this kind of church, will you get the point of this video?

My old megachurch ran a 30-second ad for a financial company before the service and then encaptioned something like "this is not done to promote this company or its available financial instruments."

Ironically, I just attended a seminar that a few Churches in the area put on led by Danny Byram. He was one of the Promise Keeper praise leaders in the 90's and he admitted that he knew at the time that people were going to try to ape the big production feel of a concert because they had never seen that before.

He was highly critical of this and had a lot of really incisive criticisms of the motivations and assumptions that many use today. He also pointed out that the whole "big sound and lights" thing is really a Baby Boomer thing and the younger generation are really turned off by it now as being unauthentic.

He pointed out that many venues are totally inappropriate for a drum kit and amplification and being unplugged with one guitar and a few voices is more than enough sound to fill most rooms.

That was all stylistic of course. What I really appreciated from him was how he began his whole seminar talking about Who and why we worship and drove home the theology of a holy and transcendent God before he ever got into styles and ideas. He also regularly noted that the musician's job was to simply facilitate singing and not draw attention to himself.

He was highly critical of this and had a lot of really incisive criticisms of the motivations and assumptions that many use today. He also pointed out that the whole "big sound and lights" thing is really a Baby Boomer thing and the younger generation are really turned off by it now as being unauthentic.

This is so true. I hadn't really run into much of this until I went to college (being from such a small town our churches couldn't really afford this kind of thing, although I imagine some of them would have liked to!) and I was struck by how many young people - both christians and non - made fun of this sort of thing. Its definitely something that is attractive to people in my parents' generation, but most people I know in my own generation ridicule it. Interesting, because I think many churches think that this sort of thing "attracts the young folks."

I've been amazed at how our simple acapella singing of hymns and psalms resonates with the younger folks who visit and attend. I can't relate how many time comments have been made at the blessing of the simplicity. Some of those have come from folks who normally attend very modern worship style churches.

I can't remember how many times I've ran into younger folks who've told me they've rarely or sometimes never sung any of the hymns we take for granted (much less psalms). And yet it takes me by surprise every time I hear someone say it.

This is so true. I hadn't really run into much of this until I went to college (being from such a small town our churches couldn't really afford this kind of thing, although I imagine some of them would have liked to!) and I was struck by how many young people - both christians and non - made fun of this sort of thing. Its definitely something that is attractive to people in my parents' generation, but most people I know in my own generation ridicule it. Interesting, because I think many churches think that this sort of thing "attracts the young folks."

My grandparents go to a church with music like this.

My grandparents go to a church with music like this.

The last thing I could want is a 5th-rate rock-and-roll show at 9am on a Sunday morn.

Even during my unrepentant years.

To quote an american pastor I heard preach this week 'The very last thing this fallen world needs is a second-rate imitation of itself'

the idea behind this type of worship and church service is, "let's make our service more like the world, therefore it will appeal to more people and we'll get more folks in church!" These are called "seeker-sensitive" churches because they want people who may be curious about God but don't fully know Him yet, to come to their church. The only problem with trying to reach the unsaved by being seeker sensitive is... "NO ONE SEEKS AFTER GOD" (Rom 3:11)

Ouch. "Funny but not so funny" is a fitting title. In between my tounge-in-cheek smile, I could almost cry for all those poor souls this video represents who are being manipulated--sometimes self-manipulated. =( Especially since I've visited one of these megachurches and all my dad had to say was: "It's a different worship style. It isn't right or wrong; it's just not what we're used to." Yet even my younger brother who knows little of proper principles of worship could sense the deadness in there amongst the sincerity and emotion of the people in the band. ;_;

Last edited:
Question: If worship is ministry. Should not the person minstering be someone who's doctrine, life, character are in line with what the Bible teaches?

I would say so. In fact one of the ministers at my church has been trying to advocate an ordination complete with theological exams for ministers of music. Something less than a teaching elder would do, but still demanding.

I despise this video. I despise how those who are against contemporary worship get such a kick out of it, how they laugh and ridicule. How easy it would be to make a parody of a traditional worship service and mock elements and stereotypes that exist in some churches. Yet I don't see that done. What I see is the continuation of the worship wars. I see hate and divisiveness.

I despise this video. I despise how those who are against contemporary worship get such a kick out of it, how they laugh and ridicule. How easy it would be to make a parody of a traditional worship service and mock elements and stereotypes that exist in some churches. Yet I don't see that done. What I see is the continuation of the worship wars. I see hate and divisiveness.

So, do you despise those of us who deem contemporary worship to be altogether contrary to the regulative principle of worship is displeasing to God? Do you also happen to despise Reformed preachers who contend for the faith by pointing out the errors of churches which are not Reformed? We seek love and unity that take place on the foundation of truth which is in turn founded on God's Word, not some human man-made ideas of love and unity.

So, do you despise those of us who deem contemporary worship to be altogether contrary to the regulative principle of worship is displeasing to God? Do you also happen to despise Reformed preachers who contend for the faith by pointing out the errors of churches which are not Reformed? We seek love and unity that take place on the foundation of truth which is in turn founded on God's Word, not some human man-made ideas of love and unity.

Love and unity can take place on the foundation of truth founded on God's word within the context of contemporary worship.

This video was made by a church with contemporary worship and was making a caricature of itself. So, do I sit back and soberly say, "I won't laugh at you because I don't want to agree with the hate for yourself"? It was in fun, and I personally enjoy how accurate it is. And further, contrary to many others here, I think acceptable worship music includes Psalms, old hymns, new contemporary songs, whatever. If the lyrics are biblically sound and the songs are sang/performed for the glory of God in the Holy Spirit, I'm all for it. Of course, I don't think the majority of modern/contemporary worship qualifies in that . . .

You do raise an important point about ridiculing others in a demeaning way though. We each must watch for that in our own hearts, but I would not be so broad to say that "those who are against contemporary worship . . . laugh and ridicule." Even when some speak lowly of the video and that form of worship, they are not necessarily doing so with the type of arrogance or joy-from-folly that is often associated with those who "laugh and ridicule." Just something to consider.

This video was made by a church with contemporary worship and was making a caricature of itself. So, do I sit back and soberly say, "I won't laugh at you because I don't want to agree with the hate for yourself"? It was in fun, and I personally enjoy how accurate it is. And further, contrary to many others here, I think acceptable worship music includes Psalms, old hymns, new contemporary songs, whatever. If the lyrics are biblically sound and the songs are sang/performed for the glory of God in the Holy Spirit, I'm all for it. Of course, I don't think the majority of modern/contemporary worship qualifies in that . . .

I know who the video was made by. I also know that there often comes a "new, better way" every so often in the church, whether it be The Prayer of Jabez or The Purpose Driven Life, so the fact that a contemporary church is making fun of itself is of no importance to me. Those who I have seen comment on the video have largely NOT been accepting of contemporary worship. The problem is that this video becomes the stereotype for contemporary worship but it is not representative of much of what is being done today.

You say you enjoy how accurate it is...how often do you attend contemporary worship services? How many different church services of that kind have you attended? So when you say it's accurate, accurate of what?

See, you folks laugh and mock, but what specifically are you mocking? You are painting with broad strokes.

Love and unity can take place on the foundation of truth founded on God's word within the context of contemporary worship.

And there are many of us who don't happen to share such sentiments and we have exegetical basis for such. We will accommodate and show Christian love without it being at the expense of our convictions, but your wording is very strong and unloving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back