Funny or Weird Town Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I recently heard of a real-life place called Tightwad, Missouri.

Any PBers live near (or live in!) or have heard of funny or weird city or town names in your area?

We live just up the road from Mule Hell and one county over from Frog Level.

I'm from Appalachia. I can do this all day. Don't get me started.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There are a bunch of funny names in MO. Not because of the names, per se, but because of the way they are pronounced. Ask someone from the Show Me State about these towns.

Versailles
Monet
Nevada

Good Grief is an unincorporated community of Boundary County, Idaho. It lies about four miles from the Canada-America border.

We live just up the road from Mule Hell and one county over from Frog Level.

I'm from Appalachia. I can do this all day. Don't get me started.
That extends to people's names, too. I went to school in Eastern Tennessee (after moving from Brooklyn at age nine) with a fellow named Henry Colonial Couch.
squint.gif

In Arkansas there is Toad Suck,Bald Knob and Blue Ball.
I used to live in AR and drove all over the state for work. There are more there that I've forgotten.
In KY there is Deer lick, and Monkeys Eyebrow.

In PA we have Intercourse. Can't figure out how to say that without chuckling. :)

There is also Lititz. Nothing wrong with this one until you get someone who doesn't know that the stresses syllable is the first one, not the second.

NJ has HoHoKus (have no idea what it means). I just think the name sounds funny. Yes, James Helbert. I know you'll say the entire state of New Jersey sounds funny.

We have many challenges when it comes to names and such here in the South.

Being from New Jersey and leaving in Podunk, Florida, I am privileged to watch this type of thing close up. I live in Polk County, FL which is completely different than Tampa, Orlando, Miami etc. Where I live is akin to most rural areas of Alabama or Georgia. There are times when I think the locals are speaking a different language. It's all fair though. They think I talk funny too.

Out my way, there's Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. This happened when the host of the radio show by that name challenged any city in America to rename itself after his show. There's always a taker, somewhere. We call the place "T or C."

If you have ever driven from LA to Vegas, you know about Zzyzx, CA.

When my kids were little and we drove to California, passing the exit for Zzyzx was one of the highlights of the trip. The kids anticipated it for miles before we got there. Once we passed it, the experience inspired them to consult a California map, list a hundred or so cities in the state, and arrange them all in alphabetical order with Zzyzx proudly bringing up the rear. So we got hours of in-car activity out of that town.

NJ has HoHoKus (have no idea what it means). I just think the name sounds funny. Yes, James Helbert. I know you'll say the entire state of New Jersey sounds funny.
And here Dave Van Ronk mentions a few NJ city names that qualify ;

All in Georgia: Hopeulikeit is just down the road from Statesboro. Shakerag, so named because you could flag the train there to make an unscheduled stop, was an unincorporated community near where I grew up in Fayette County. Daisy put a smile on my face whenever I drove through.

Funny towns in Texas: Cut N Shoot, Jot Em Down, Uncertain, Muleshoe, and Dimebox. Used to go to Muleshoe all the time.

James Helbert writes that he is from Appalachia, so he too knows of names such as Monkey Eyebrow in Kentucky, and Lick Skillet or Bucksnort in Tennessee. I actually stopped at a convenience store near Bucksnort while travelling a number of years ago.

James Helbert writes that he is from Appalachia, so he too knows of names such as Monkey Eyebrow in Kentucky, and Lick Skillet or Bucksnort in Tennessee. I actually stopped at a convenience store near Bucksnort while travelling a number of years ago.

Indeed. One of my co-workers lives near Lick Skillet. :)

Here are a few more from the area where my parents and grand parents grew up: Bear Waller, Cigarette Holler, Sun, and Dog Patch. (The uneducated amongst us might spell those "Wallow" and "Hollow").

Here in New Zealand we have "Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu".

Can anyone beat that? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back