FV Defender Retracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe that the FV has identified issues that are of concern in our Reformed world (assurance, lack of catholicity, un-clarity about the status of covenant children), but I am (a) not persuaded that their formulations have resolved any of these tensions any more than the best of our own tradition and (b) not persuaded any longer that our forefathers…for all their diversity…would have considered the FV as 'within the bounds' of (at least) Reformed orthodoxy.
:amen: and Praise God!

I was actually thinking about a friend of mine this AM who became Lutheran. He related to me that he really doesn't like the qualifications that Reformed theology puts on the nature of baptism and wants to simply say, in an unqualified way, that "baptism saves."

I realized that, like the FV, everything one believes they gain in "clarity" by ignoring the visible/invisible distinction ends up being elusive when you pull the string.

In the FV context, they comfort themselves that they can tell their kids they received objective union with Christ in the sacrament of baptism forgetting that they just left everyone in the Church in a state where objective assurance has suddenly been ground to powder.

I am thankful for the conviction to which this brother has come. Praise God for Mr. Minich's humility.

In some sense this may be viewed by the FV advocates as a major blow to them. Mr Minich was held up by them as one who exemplified the "conversational" aspect of their system. Now he has made the following statement:

In sum, I am persuaded (with most of the Reformed community) that we can always grow in wisdom and knowledge of the truth…but I am (now) un-persuaded that the Federal Vision offers the path to a more mature understanding in any substantive way

Will John Frame endorse this retraction as he endorsed the original article?

In the FV context, they comfort themselves that they can tell their kids they received objective union with Christ in the sacrament of baptism forgetting that they just left everyone in the Church in a state where objective assurance has suddenly been ground to powder.

Rich,

I've always thought that the effect of their position is to replace soteriology with ecclesiology. I'm glad that someone among them has begun to smell the coffee.

DTK

Maybe Christian Renewal would print a retraction since the original article was printed there and a rebuttal not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back