Gagnon on the Bible and Homosexual Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeutter

Puritan Board Senior
Pittsburg Theological Seminary New Testament Professor Robert A. J. Gagnon's book, The Bible and Homosexual Practice,Texts and Hermeneuticshas found a place on my book shelf. He responds to the liberals by offering a thorough analysis of the biblical texts relating to homosexuality.

Gagnon believes that Paul's wholesale attack of Greco/Roman culture makes sence if he lumps all forms of same sex eros including same sex orientation together as a mark of Gentile decadence.

Very good book, also VERY technical, and long (around 600 pages).

It really is a must read for all the Pastors (and everyone else on the PB).

Enjoy!!!

Wow, I just read Gagnon's response to the Lisa Miller piece in Newsweek claiming that the Bible allows and even supports homosexuality. It was excellent. In that brief response he completely shatters the notion that homosexuality is treated in any other way than total condemnation in the Bible. On the one hand it seems obvious enough, but when a completely unscholarly article is written like the one in Newsweek I suppose it warrants a thorough response.

I can't imagine what more could be said in 600 pages, but I'm tempted to order the book.

Let's just say "detailed" is an understatement.

Just as an aside. He is the most gracious and demanding Prof I have ever had. Heckuva nice guy as well.

See this Mayflower. (PDF)

The short answer is that it does not matter either way. We are all born predisposed to sin.

Thanks alot brother for the link. It will take some time ro study this papper, because as you know engelish is not my first language.

Iam sorry for my ignorance, but what does "predisposed to sin" means ?

Predisposed means basically that we are born into sin, that is Original Sin means that we are all born sinners. So the argument is that "sexual identity" whether it be behavioral or inborn really does not matter in the scheme of things since we are all born sinners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back