Galatians 6:9: Losing heart versus Growing weary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Guys,

Paul uses two words in Galatians 6:9: Let us not "lose heart" (Gr. egkakeo) in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not "grow weary" (Gr. ekluo). I am leaning toward a particular understanding but wanted to get your thoughts if I'm on the right track. Seems to me the first is more about getting discouraged: Let us not become discouraged in doing good...Whereas the second seems to me, to NOT be just another way of saying the first, but rather more along the lines of: "for in due time we shall reap if we don't throw in the towel." Calvin cites Matthew, he who perseveres until the end. Also, the Greek word, ekluo, seems to impute the idea of luo (release oneself) + ek (as preposition, either "out from" or "completely, utterly"). So Paul isn't saying: Don't get discouraged, because you'll reap--unless, that is, you get discouraged (seems this would actually be pretty discouraging, and goes against the analogy of faith); but rather: Don't get discouraged, because we will reap, unless that is, you throw in the towel and don't finish the race. Thoughts??

Your first option seems nearly a tautology, with the rendering Paul's terms synonymously. Now, I think the thoughts in each reinforce the other, and the opposition of discouragement (from one cause or antother) vs. perseverance lies behind the whole expression.

By not wearying of and not losing heart in well-doing (means), we thus persevere in good hope and most assuredly reap the reward of it (ends). Paul urges his own heart beside the others' ("us") with encouragement to persevere in good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back