Gale Group's 18th Century titles available in inexpensive reprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
This by way of FYI as I think it may be useful. I just noticed this doing an Abebooks search. Gale compiled microfiche (then digital) versions of a large number of the English titles printed in the 18th century. They are now allowing a firm to make softcover print copies reasonably princed (most books of a couple hundred pages run in the 20s; 1000 page may run in the 60s). Some of this will be mostly of academic interest as many books are available in modern editions. However, if not, and you are looking for an 18th century title, you might find it available. I needed 18th century versions of two different works by James Durham for my critical work as I prepare a collection of his sermons and was able to order them from Amazon (which owns Abebooks now I hear). To ensure you get the right edition of something find the ISBN number of the reprint and then you can search Amazon for that and order from them. For me that was easier than using Abebooks. If the title comes up, they will say it is in stock. But that is sort of a fib since it is Print on Demand; my books one arrive for a week even though I ordered today and it said in stock. Still, a week isn't bad if that holds. N.B. Other series are going to print this way too; resellers are relisting them and books you would not expect to get many hits for come up in droves. Of course, if you are looking for a real book instead of a reprint, you need to limit by date and cut out the riffraff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back