Gambling

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the articles that I have read so far I have not been convinced that playing poker is sinful at all. Playing poker is not at all like playing the lottery or buying pull-tabs, it is a game of skill. I play to win ofcourse but I am not focused on the money but rather the competition(sport of the game). I think it is a lot of fun to play while discussing theology.

:pilgrim:

[Edited on 4-11-2006 by MeanieCalvinist]

After reading the posts, I would ask this question.

Do you believe poker is a game of skill, or of luck?

Now just because luck is involved does not mean that it is not a game of skill. In the same way in basketball, as the clock is running down and the player shots the ball over his head and it goes in to win the game. Was it lucky, yes, but is basketball a game of luck? no.

So then, is there a difference between poker and the lottery, bingo, etc.?

Brandon,

It's a honest question, "Do you believe poker is a game of skill, or of luck"? I don't think that it is one or the other, but both are involved (skill & luck).

"Is there a difference between poker and the lottery, bingo, etc"? I would say that all of these activities fall under the heading of gambling. These games are just a different manifestation of "gambling". This question is like the alcoholic saying is there a difference between vodka, Jack Daniels, budwieser, or wine? He's ok as long as he is only into drinking beer to get drunk, and then can rationalize and justify it by saying that it is "only beer" and its not "vodka". Answer; they all fall under the heading of alcohol. Or is there a difference between playboy, strip clubs, adult movies. They all fall under the heading of sexual sin, just a different manifestation of the sin.

I only responded since I see that you started the thread, and that it was your original question. I need to exit the conversation and let someone eles enter into it. I see your arguement (christian liberty, and ones own conscience) determines if this is ok for himself/herself. It is a valid arguement, I no long have anything eles to say on this topic. The Lord's Blessings to you all,
Scott

[Edited on 06-07-2006 by Scott Shahan]

[Edited on 06-07-2006 by Scott Shahan]

:ditto: It's definitely been interesting listening to these guys address various arguments on the issues. I look forward to their forthcoming epsiodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back