Geerhardus Vos's Biblical Theology free on Monergism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beginning of the preface says:

In the words of Thomas Aquinas, Theology a Deo docetur, Deum docet, ad Deum ducit. After suffering much from the anti-intellectual and anti-doctrinal temper of our times, Theology is perhaps in somewhat better repute now than during the early years of the present century. This change of attitude is to be welcomed, even though it must be confessed that even in conservative Protestant circles Theology is still far from receiving the attention and respect which, as the knowledge of God, it ought to have.

Geerhardus Vos, Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments (Kindle Locations 26-30). Monergism Books. Kindle Edition (emphasis added).

How interesting that the first theologian whom Vos quotes is none other than Thomas.

Also, when I first read Biblical Theology back in 2003, I was struck by this reference of the younger Vos:

The editing of the material for the press has been done by my son, the Rev. Johannes G. Vos, who studied this work as a student at Princeton Theological Seminary and is in hearty agreement with the theological viewpoint of the book.

Geerhardus Vos, Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments (Kindle Locations 42-43). Monergism Books. Kindle Edition.

Unpopular opinion: except for the elder Vos's Reformed Dogmatics, I have always found his son to be the much clearer writer. Someone once told me that he inherited his theological abilities from his father, but his clarity from his mother.

Last edited:
Ah, the book that made me Reformed...

Subsequently resulting in me wasting time posting on Puritanboard and listening to horrid songs on Presbycast. :mad:

I shall forgive you, Vos, because it is the Christian thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back